Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Confession: I think vampires are a terrible addition  (Read 21305 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Confession: I think vampires are a terrible addition
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2012, 07:50:52 pm »

I've had two 200-strong forts without a single vampire!

Have you tried genning a new world?

I've had the same thing, actually. 1 fortress to 170ish, 3 to 80ish, 7 to 40ish (most scrapped because they were tests for my mod), all in wolrds genned after the .34 update with vampire curse types to the normal number, and I have yet to see a single vampire.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2012, 07:57:12 pm »

I'd check my legends.  I've genned some small worlds with long histories where night creatures are completely gone.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

Nil Athelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2012, 08:31:20 pm »

I would prefer it if a death of being drained of blood opens up not "convict" but "accuse of being a vampire".  The accused dwarf then winds up like a thief, trying to run from the fortress.

Opens up opprotunities for scapegoating dwarves you don't like, is a better punishment method than the 50 hammer blows, etc.

I do wish that vampires didn't have that massive number of associations that make them so easy to identify with no in-game effort.

My criteria for good fun is that everything should be solvable in abstract, once you know what to do, but not always solvable in practice, due to other problems cropping up at the same time.

Example:  Flooded fortress.  Tried to drain it out the side of the hill.  Would have worked better if a dragon hadn't wandered in the hole before I could seal it up again.  Survived that, but then was too weak to take on the next gobbo ambush.  And the fortress died.

I could deal with any one or two of those.  Thus the fortress only dies (epicly) to perfect storms.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2012, 08:40:40 pm »

They were fun the first few times, but are way too common so I disabled them until Toady decreases the frequency that they show up - if ever.

I'd do the same thing to FBs / titans if I could.  Two or three FB's a year would be fun.  Seven or more per season like I frequently get is just annoying as hell.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2012, 09:05:09 pm »

I agree the frequency needs to be toned down a bit.  It's too high for the less skilled player who find it frustrating, and the more skilled players are of course exploiting the vampires too easily.  They probably shouldn't show up early, but rather there should be a population or wealth requirement for them.  After all, a vampire probably would rather seek out a nicely populated fort where it's easier to hide and there's lots of feeding opportunities.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Let's Play Dwarf Fortress (tutuorial) Videos
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2012, 09:40:10 pm »

A vampire hunter profession, or perhaps training war dogs to be able to sniff out and kill vampires, would be a much-appreciated in-game way of dealing with these things.

I agree, it sounds like there needs to be more mechanics on dealing with vampires. What would be awesome would be a holy inquisitor or vampire hunter noble whose job would be to go around and look for the vampire in their spare time and make accusations (depending on how good they are is who accurate the accusation) and you would punish the accused with a impalement or burning.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2012, 09:43:09 pm »

Definitely some form of punishment like banning that would actually excommunicate them from your civ would be nice.

Also, vampires are awesome because you can make a vampire pit, and any noble that upsets you gets to share a room with all these nice people staring at them... waiting for them to fall asleep...
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2012, 10:17:03 pm »

Oooohh I like the idea of burning at the stake ... Particularly if it can go wrong and result in inaccurate accusations and burnings!

CaveLobsterShell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2012, 10:59:02 pm »

I would prefer it if a death of being drained of blood opens up not "convict" but "accuse of being a vampire".  The accused dwarf then winds up like a thief, trying to run from the fortress.

Opens up opprotunities for scapegoating dwarves you don't like, is a better punishment method than the 50 hammer blows, etc.

YES. I'd love it if this were possible.

I do wish that vampires didn't have that massive number of associations that make them so easy to identify with no in-game effort.

As is, the only real recourse I have to destroying the vampires is to notice through various bugs and loopholes that it IS a vampire, and then to station it in front of the bridge to the caverns and see if the Forgotten Beasts and it can whittle each other down. Nice work, but I'd rather deal with it within society, even if it's just being allowed to attac[k] those accused.
The funniest part being a dwarf actually butchered the stupid thing.  Necrotic poison is the tastiest of spices.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2012, 07:12:21 am »

1) build bedrooms for everyone.
2) lets dwarfs grab them (wait).
3) look at a bedroom's "assign" options for any dwarf which hasn't taken a bedroom.

VAMPIRE! ;)

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2012, 07:36:35 am »

Its possible to disagree without a feature PLAYS out. Jesus, this forum needs to stop looking at anyone who has a critique of one tiny part of DF as some kind of DISSIDENT ELF that must be mobbed to death,
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2012, 07:53:40 am »

Sorry if this has been mentioned already (haven't read all 6 pages).

Toady fixed vampires so you can Tombstone them properly: Link
"stopped ghosts from maintaining secret identities"

So just atom smash them in the next version.
Problem solved.

You can even tombstone them like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nemica

• Bay Watcher
  • Prefers to consume diet coke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2012, 08:09:53 am »

Now I've read tons of posts about how vampires are so common. I never had a vampire. In any of my forts. I genned 8 worlds by now. Or more, I deleted some again. And I never had a vampire in any of my forts.

You may now post the wat pic again.

Silent_E

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2012, 12:30:18 pm »

I agree, it sounds like there needs to be more mechanics on dealing with vampires. What would be awesome would be a holy inquisitor or vampire hunter noble whose job would be to go around and look for the vampire in their spare time and make accusations (depending on how good they are is who accurate the accusation) and you would punish the accused with a impalement or burning.

This could be a curse as well as a blessing... seeing as the vampire hunter could suddenly declare that the legendary miner that you embarked with is a vampire (Even though clearly he is not). Could be quite Fun.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2012, 01:11:03 pm »

Now I've read tons of posts about how vampires are so common. I never had a vampire. In any of my forts. I genned 8 worlds by now. Or more, I deleted some again. And I never had a vampire in any of my forts.

You may now post the wat pic again.

Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9