Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Confession: I think vampires are a terrible addition  (Read 21300 times)

Nathair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Confession: I think vampires are a terrible addition
« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2012, 01:35:19 pm »

Jesus, this forum needs to stop looking at anyone who has a critique of one tiny part of DF as some kind of DISSIDENT ELF that must be mobbed to death,
Hey... are you CRITICIZING THIS FORUM?!?!!!1!!1eleventyOne!

From another thread;
Instead of harming the vampire dwarf (he had no combat skills at the start of this at all) the brave vampire started dodging and bashing at the spear that was trying to pierce him. In the process he gained continuous experience in the following skills: Fighter, Dodger, Shield User, Swordsdwarf at quite a fast pace. He might have gotten some Armour User experience as well, but I am not too certain of that.

For a vampire military, this has additional advantages. As vampires need no food or sleep, you can keep them fighting the spike trap until their combat skills are maxed. No more need to wait for countless sparring sessions, simply force your military to train.

Vampire dwarves; 'cause DF really needed an easy mode.   ::)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2012, 02:30:14 pm »

Yeah, vampires do make the game quite a bit easier. Perhaps this could be fixed by giving vampires 'mist form' ability, which periodically allows them to pass walls / rock / soil. No more keeping them locked up then :D
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2012, 02:36:53 pm »

Its possible to disagree without a feature PLAYS out. Jesus, this forum needs to stop looking at anyone who has a critique of one tiny part of DF as some kind of DISSIDENT ELF that must be mobbed to death,

Criticism detected : KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2012, 03:00:18 pm »

From another thread;
For a vampire military, this has additional advantages. As vampires need no food or sleep, you can keep them fighting the spike trap until their combat skills are maxed. No more need to wait for countless sparring sessions, simply force your military to train.

Vampire dwarves; 'cause DF really needed an easy mode.   ::)
Objection! Danger rooms are so fast that even regular dwarves who aren't carrying food or drink only need a couple of sessions to max out their combat skills. All vampires do is make the process a little quicker, and you still need to do the major work of building the danger room. There's more of a case for lever-pulling. Sure, a few dwarves locked in a small room with a stack of food, a few beds, and a couple of tiles of water are functionally equivalent to one vampire in an empty room, but you have to go to the trouble of stockpiling the food, filling the pool, and putting the beds in.

...That last bit might have come across as sarcasm.
*thinks*
Ehh.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

MassDebater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2012, 04:01:32 pm »

Weaponize vampires. Seal them off so they are unreachable so you truly have an immortal fortress, or lock them in lever rooms so you can have levers pulled right when they need to be pulled. Vampires don't age, eat, drink, or sleep.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2012, 04:12:31 pm »

-snip-

I'm sorry but you have one of the worst and best usernames possible :P

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2012, 04:52:47 pm »

this forum needs to stop looking at anyone who has a critique of one tiny part of DF as some kind of DISSIDENT ELF that must be mobbed to death,

I don't get that impression at all.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2012, 05:01:06 pm »

Do I think Vamps need some tweaking? yes.
Are they bad? no - I like the challenge and the wrench throwing effect that they can have, and If I ever tire of them I can simply turn them off.

kirtley9

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2012, 05:13:00 pm »

Is it normal for vampires to stand on the same spot for ages? i have one who hasn't moved in a long time, apparently he has had a beating but his health seems fine.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2012, 05:20:36 pm »

Is it normal for vampires to stand on the same spot for ages? i have one who hasn't moved in a long time, apparently he has had a beating but his health seems fine.

Has he been diagnosed? For all you know he could be paralyzed.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2012, 05:36:48 pm »

I would prefer it if a death of being drained of blood opens up not "convict" but "accuse of being a vampire".  The accused dwarf then winds up like a thief, trying to run from the fortress.

That should be added, it would be hilarious to watch my sheriff walk up to the one guy at the back of the meeting hall;
"Stop right there criminal scum! You have violated the law!"
*vampire runs like a chicken*

kirtley9

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2012, 05:40:18 pm »

Has he been diagnosed? For all you know he could be paralyzed.

I just checked and i have 2 dwarves with diagnosis as there only job and there just ignoring him.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2012, 05:54:03 pm »

I think that if someone is convicted of killing another dwarf, he should be treated similar to a soldier who kills a merchant, only in a way that doesn't cause a loyalty cascade. He should become an enemy to both the fort and the civilization. He's a murderer and every dwarf in the fortress should want to kill him. That's how they're treated in adventure mode. That's why they usually have a bunch of entities that the are former members of. Why do they get treated differently in fortress mode?
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2012, 07:26:49 pm »

I believe I may have finally gotten one; a legendary +5 bookkeeper, former general, mother of 10. Neither her husband nor any of her children immigrated with her, and I shut her up in my former bookkeeper's quarters. Been a whole season and she hasn't been thirsty or hungry yet, so I think this may be a bit of a boon.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

catenate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 06, 2012, 07:45:21 pm »

I think my biggest problem with vampires is that I haven't extended my dwarven-simulationist suspension of disbelief to accommodate them. Modern culture has made them such jokes that the very idea of the glittery cheerleading bloodsucker vampire snaps me right out of the game.

I'd personally like to mod them to be bloody psycho/sociopaths like Jack the Ripper, Ted Bundy, Hannibal, etc. instead, who I find to be much more believable and interesting. (This game brings out the crazies, eh?) Is there anything about the term 'vampire' that's coded in the game, or can I change its name to psychopath by just changing the raws?

Alternatively, maybe I could figure out something in the Cthulhu mythos, if their behavior is too supernatural for a modern psychiatric classification. I like the general syndrome mechanic behind it all, and the physical changes, so it would be cool to make an inheritable 'Innsmouth Look' that starts with worship of Dagon at a fishery. ;)
Couverture: A chocolate-covered mod brings you a dark chocolate figurine of the deity of agriculture looking offended.

aban avuzsazirmafol tunur … kib saziradilīton kezkļg ugoshódkelid shatagistrath … kirondatanavuz ustosteshkad angngotololum―Bomonolthīkut fragments
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9