Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Confession: I think vampires are a terrible addition  (Read 21307 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Confession: I think vampires are a terrible addition
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2012, 01:53:25 pm »

I do wonder what OP's original intent was: foster a discussion or seek a way to surgically remove vampires from the game? Whatever it was, this turned into a good read.

I've tried editing world_gen.txt and changing every instance of VAMPIRE_NUMBER to 0, but I'm -still- getting dwarves drained of blood.
I never did get why people think world_gen.txt is the only or easier way to edit the advanced worldgen parameters. Isn't it more intuitive to just look at what the in-game editor says, save changes in-game and then generate a world? Then to be absolutely sure, go to legends mode and search for 'vampire' to see if any were still made?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2012, 01:55:27 pm »

I think it is strange to have the diplomat from another culture be a vampire, visiting in vampire mode.  If I were my mayor, I'd run screaming into the deepest reaches of my fortress and wall it over, before I'd hold a meeting with a blatant vampire.  Instead, my mayor invited this Human vampire into her dining room and exchanged pleasantries while her children frolicked around him.  I kept waiting for him to slay the whole family.

I didn't realize that we could turn vampires off.  I thought they were like Forgotten Beasts, which I find much more difficult to deal with.  Forgotten Beasts make fortress reclaim hopeless. Forgotten Beasts, in the guise of "Hill Titan", now appear aboveground for the "delight" of those of us who avoid meeting them underground.  Personally, I had no idea that Titans could have the appearance of shelled slugs spitting poison, but I understand that if I want rid of them then I can go code my own game.  ;)

At any rate, I am not certain that I want vampires turned off.  They do add flavor to the world history.  I just wish there was some way of dealing with them other than locking them into a room for the duration of the fort, or sending them out unarmed against a Vile Force of Darkness.  I also think it would be more cool for them to drain the Dwarves so they are pale, and possibly weak, but not dead.  Vampires shouldn't want to kill off the herd.  Maybe even some fraction could be converted into vampires themselves, by the feeding upon.  But not all.  Vampires shouldn't want competition for their food supply.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Lewzer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • +Urist "Lewzer" McDorfy
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2012, 01:55:59 pm »

I like the addition of vampires:  One mouth to feed saves the fort many mouths to feed.  More ale for everyone else!

Then more immigrants arrive...  where's that vamp hiding?

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2012, 02:01:31 pm »

I don't mind them.  Once I find out who they are, they get the Cask of Amontillado treatment :D  It's unfortunate, though, to lose someone good in the process.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2012, 02:09:12 pm »

I like the vampires, to the point that the only flaws I find about them are the amounts of jewelry and surviving extended periods of time without blood. They're a great way to add murderers in the game, and if they survive the hammering its because the blunt weapons are underpowered. Personally I've managed to cripple my vampires into heaps of broken bones on the jail floor though, exept one who spent the rest of his (un)natural life in the hospital.

As for their kill counts, killing things in their sleep is not hard, and cities of hundreds or thousands of people have plenty of people to hide among.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2012, 02:14:48 pm »

I cannot really follow the logic of "I don't like you, new feature, so I will dub thee bug"

Vampires are awesome. They don't eat, drink, sleep. They can get rid of exces soapmakers. They can explore the caverns, without endangering any of your living dorfs. They can be used to create a fountain of undeath. They don't have children. List can go on.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2012, 02:17:39 pm »

Vampires are fine. I think their ability to shrug off Hammerings is likely a bug or at least not what was intended. Nevertheless, it's easy enough to finish the Hammerer's job for him: hello Urist McMigrant, very interesting that you are a former resident of seventy-three other places and are wearing more bling than a gangsta rapper, and now dwarves are waking up in the morning without their blood, no, don't wait for the Hammerer, just stand in the Vampire Booth and we'll deploy the spikes/lower the bridge.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2012, 02:19:26 pm »

It's just another way to bring fun in to your fort!
But IMO they should be rare, like 3 in a medium sized world/400 years of history rare. It's no fun if you expect them to walk in sooner or later. The fun starts when you let your guard down. And when you least expect it... FUN!
Same with were beasts :]
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2012, 02:26:33 pm »

I lock all incoming migrants in a room, come back later to see who's thirsty/hungry. If any aren't, I leave em there longer. If any never get that way, I lock em in a lever room, managers office, or bookkeepers office. Any more go into lever room.

I dont see a problem with lever Pullers, managers, and bookkeepers that never sleep. Great addition to the game:p

EDIT: holy, the gibberish typos, lol. Sleeeeep.... Need to pay more attention when typing on my phone :D
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 03:33:52 pm by rtg593 »
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2012, 02:45:25 pm »

It's just another way to bring fun in to your fort!
But IMO they should be rare, like 3 in a medium sized world/400 years of history rare. It's no fun if you expect them to walk in sooner or later. The fun starts when you let your guard down. And when you least expect it... FUN!
Same with were beasts :]
I agree. Vampires are not fun if they are something you should to expect, but when they are something that MIGHT appear in a newly genned world somewere between the first and third fort.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Istas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2012, 02:49:09 pm »

If you don't know how to scroll down the main menu to advanced worldgen, read the line for the 'edit parameters' hotkey, and scroll down the list of parameters until you see 'vampire' and hit enter twice (or look up how to do so on the wiki), that's really your own fault, isn't it?

I'll admit I didn't know about this, but when I did so I found Number of Vampire Curse Types already set to None. So changing it via world_gen.txt seems to have done the same thing.

But I'm still getting blood drained from sleeping dwarves, even though I had vampires disabled the only way(s) I've yet seen how to do it.

I'm not trying to be snarky here, I really am wondering how to stop this. I'd rather not play it with vampires at this point, they're too discouraging. It would be different if, as others have said, they occurred less frequently, but so far I've had vampires in the first fort of three different worlds after picking up DF a few days ago to play again.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2012, 03:21:50 pm »

I know lots of people like them, but I think the addition of vampires has made DF less fun. Mysterious deaths that were impossible to prevent aren't fun.

It's a good thing impossible means completely doable then right?

Oh yeah, it's been done easily many times really. Part of the Fun finding a way that suits you. Pretend you're a Portia spider hunting for vampires. Now it's much better already!

Going through every immigrant to look for clues that may or may not be there isn't fun.

Sacrificing a Dwarf to narrow down a list of suspects is. Creating drowning traps are. And to be honest, going through every immigrant is something you should already be doing to assign jobs, what's the difference now? It forces you to pay details to these poor wretched Dwarfs who would otherwise be ignored.

Finding the vampire, having it easily survive its sentence and go on killing isn't fun.

You're doing it wrong :/

Elaborate schemes for locking up a vampire forever isn't fun. 

(b) (c) (w) = TOO HARD REMOVE  VAMPIRES FROM THE GAME

The whole process feels more like a workaround for a bug than an interesting part of the game. Am I alone here?

Nah

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2012, 03:23:13 pm »

All lock all incoming migrants in a room, come back later to see who's thirsty/hungry. If any aren't, I leave em there longer.

Not a bad idea, this...does it work?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2012, 03:24:38 pm »

All lock all incoming migrants in a room, come back later to see who's thirsty/hungry. If any aren't, I leave em there longer.

Not a bad idea, this...does it work?
Yup

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2012, 03:38:46 pm »

My main problem is they kill so much  I had a fort of 100 dwarfs with 5 vamps  a dwarf a season was passing away!
Why don't they drain people a little but keep them alive but weakened?

Dracula didn't kill the poor girl straight away!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9