Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF - V2 - 5 year Challenge  (Read 52872 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF - 10 year Challenge
« Reply #120 on: March 02, 2012, 08:35:24 am »

Welp, gonna download DF.03 and see how it goes, never used a Mod like this before...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #121 on: March 02, 2012, 10:35:38 am »

Yeah, I am a bit surprised that no one lived 10 years. Most people said: I will make it as hard as possible, use an evil biome and add FortressDefense races... and then they die ;)

Protip: armored mastiffs are awesome.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 02, 2012, 11:13:21 am »

Wow, overwhelmed with information here...

Not sure, kinda daunted by the amount of change. Will keep trying though...

ALSO to note, that preset "No Items" load out has Items...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Poch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 02, 2012, 02:43:24 pm »

Yeah, I am a bit surprised that no one lived 10 years. Most people said: I will make it as hard as possible, use an evil biome and add FortressDefense races... and then they die ;)

Protip: armored mastiffs are awesome.

Yes, that's exactly what i said first. Then i discovered the new 34.xx features (mostly zombies) and the more powerfull invaders of the mod. And then i'm embarking in a joyous wild only site ^^ Evil zones are really hard, now.

Alarion

• Bay Watcher
  • I put on my robe and wizard hat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 02, 2012, 03:46:47 pm »

So far into my 7th year. Dogs, lava and training have kept us safe, and it's mostly zombies who invade anyway. Fortress is running well, despite having over 100 inhabitants - the insane amount of loot from half a dozen destroyed caravans means that we have food, drink and equipment to last us a decade or more! Engravings everywhere and nice beds - nobody will cry here anymore!

Things of note:

The merchants say they leave, but don't. In fact, they stay for like a month after they're supposed to go away. Not sure what that's all about, but you can still trade with them if they're in the depot, so...
Babies are born with random skills like carpentry and strand extraction, and won't be able to use them until they grow up. Not sure where that one comes from... Doesn't apply to immigrant children or babies though, so it could be something wrong with the castes or something. Investigate?
Some things are not picked up, like buckets and the like, and just lie around crowding my depot. It's kind of strange, but I'm not sure how to combat it.
The animal trainer stopped training war animals a way back, and will just sit in the Kennels claiming he's "training war animals" when in fact he's not, even with a lot to choose from and animals that aren't pets hanging around. Also kind of odd.

But from here we're in the home stretch - only 2 more years to go, hooray!
Death shall sow, and summer burn, before the Great Lord comes.
Death shall reap, and bodies fail, before the Great Lord comes.
Now the Great Lord comes. Now the Great Lord comes.
Blood feeds blood. Blood calls blood. Blood is, and blood was, and blood shall ever be.
Now the Great Lord comes.

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 02, 2012, 05:12:30 pm »

You're just not waiting long enough. :) Big forts take forever as once past the initial years, fps drops due to more complicated pathing and more dwarves/creatures. My fort is currently running at around 50fps (after starting at 150fps) while I have a huge mining operation going - planning to seal that area off afterwards in an attempt to rectify the fps hit, but 2/3 of my miners got the lungs of death which has slowed things down. I also have some injuries in the hospital - dwarves who were used as target practise by goblins while finishing the castle roof (which is complete now! No more ravens and keas... haha!).

My current (MW 1.4) fort is up to year 6 and I started it on the 27th of Feb (so that's about a week ago). Technically that's actually only half way, as the fort started in year 101, so I should be running until year 111. It takes a fair whack of time to get to year 10 :).

My current survival strategy is to just not let anything into my fort, mostly because I screwed up my military early on. Had a couple of my legendary sword dwarves go moody for something... I *think* silk thread but I can't be sure. I also have ghosts I can't get rid of which is driving me a bit crazy. I have a huge puppy farm, so will try slapping armor on them and seeing how they do.

Had warlocks set fire to the map outside my castle too - that was somewhat amusing.

I've done some further messing with the loading/unloading stations and they're actually really hard to use. The biggest issue that after the first unload, the unloading station has 10 items in it making it horribly cluttered. A 2nd unload job at the same station will take longer than hauling the items manually. I might be able to set up some small stone stockpiles next to the unloading station and some dedicated haulers to transfer out of the station, but that's getting horribly micromanagy. Multiple unload stations also seems to help with this, but it's hard to get dwarves to use the uncluttered ones. Still, I think they'll still be useful with the ore/stone specific options. The main use then will be moving stuff to brickmaker and furnaces.

It's a pity there's no [NOCLUTTER] flag available for workshops as that would fix so many clutter related issues.

Buffbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 02, 2012, 05:56:41 pm »

3 attempts so far, just started a 4th.  First 2 attempts were using 1.2.1, the last 2 were using 1.4.1 with stock settings.

1st ended after 2 years, with a surprise ambush at my gate with 80% of my dwarves out scavenging dead bodies and wood.  Managed to kill those ambushers with minimal losses, but was instantly beset by another ambush that tore through my damaged military.

2nd ended after 7 years, not due to any in-game issues.  I'd accidentally done 2 very stupid things:  I turned off 'Alert on lost connection' in DwarfTherapist AND also disabled DF auto-saves.  DT wrote some bad data to DF at some point, which corrupted my save entirely.  That ended this run at the challenge.

3rd ended after not even 2 years, with more complications, or rather FUN, than I'd seen in a long time, mostly thanks to the features of the mod.   :D  11 months in and I was beset by an acid-spewing megabeast, my miners took it down with minimal losses thanks to a selfless holy dwarf who kept healing the others despite being chewed on.  2 months later I had a zombie dragon show up - I didn't want to mess with it just yet so I locked it in an airlock for awhile.  Once I had some decent gear on my miners and military, I barely managed to kill the dragon (it melted several dwarves first).  All was clear until another megabeast showed up 6 months later, but managed to kill it without incident without losses.  Then a necromancer child showed up... couldn't identify which child it was, so my fort of brave megabeast-killing dwarves were wiped out by a horde of self-inflicted zombies in the end.

4th fort is looking good so far.  No trouble to speak of 2 years in, besides some industry complications.  We'll see.  It's too quiet and I'm sure something FUN is about to happen soon.

Feedback - First off, most issues I had from playing in 1.2.1 were fixed in 1.4.1.  As for the rest, I've really enjoyed playing this mod a lot.  It has single-handed revived my interest in DF (mostly I had issues with FPS and bugs from vanilla when I stopped playing last fall, MDF fixed all that and more!). 

A few thoughts:
  • Children necromancer/holy - Not a good thing.  Nigh impossible to pinpoint the problem child, as combat logs only show "Dwarven child" with no name.
  • Turrets as migrants - Still an imbalance in the early game (I know you're working on it)
  • Landmines - Still trying to utilize them effectively, but not having much luck.  Currently they're just a backup thief detection system inside my fort, otherwise I'd just butcher them to help with FPS.
  • Warpstone - Adding a chance to heal warpstone sickness maybe?  Would provide some balance to not having a pause feature when warpstone is struck.  Not fond of losing skilled miners because I'm off dealing with dwarf drama elsewhere.
  • Rock crutch - missing from Stonecutter which has splints - more of a wish on my part.
  • Toys - Seems making these for trade also creates all sorts the high value goods like blueprints, golem casts and even training books.  I haven't tested to see if the golem casts work, but blueprints and books definitely do.  Obvious imbalance, removes the need for high-value trade with caravans and bypasses a lot of metal needs early on.
  • Bone studs don't get put into any stockpiles as far as I can tell.
PS - A word of caution for others, Hellfire turrets shooting towards defensive bridges sealing your fort is not a good idea.   :P

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2012, 06:19:47 pm »

A few thoughts:
  • Children necromancer/holy - Not a good thing.  Nigh impossible to pinpoint the problem child, as combat logs only show "Dwarven child" with no name.
  • Turrets as migrants - Still an imbalance in the early game (I know you're working on it)
  • Landmines - Still trying to utilize them effectively, but not having much luck.  Currently they're just a backup thief detection system inside my fort, otherwise I'd just butcher them to help with FPS.
  • Warpstone - Adding a chance to heal warpstone sickness maybe?  Would provide some balance to not having a pause feature when warpstone is struck.  Not fond of losing skilled miners because I'm off dealing with dwarf drama elsewhere.
  • Rock crutch - missing from Stonecutter which has splints - more of a wish on my part.
  • Toys - Seems making these for trade also creates all sorts the high value goods like blueprints, golem casts and even training books.  I haven't tested to see if the golem casts work, but blueprints and books definitely do.  Obvious imbalance, removes the need for high-value trade with caravans and bypasses a lot of metal needs early on.
  • Bone studs don't get put into any stockpiles as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the report.

I will definetly mod the necromancers/healer, since a magic system is the most wanted on the poll. But even now they have a pop-ration of 0 and shouldnt turn up. DF is weird sometimes.

Turrets and migrants: Might find I good solution with the new transformations. Buy base turret, add material = named turred.

Landmines: Try building murderholes and drop them with the pitting command on unsuspecting invaders.

Warpstone: Nope. Weak warpstone isnt deadly, and unstable warpstone is only near weak warpstone, so you have a small warning. Dont want to make it too easy ;)

Rock crutch: I had this feature at first, but decided that giving injured people rocks to carry around is rather... unintuitive. And heavy ;)

Toys: I got this report from someone else as well. I am very, very surprised, since they dont have these enabled in the entity file. I must do more testing, but of course these shouldnt be there.

Bone studs: Thanks, I'll have a look. They count as toys btw. I might do some work on them as well, since they dont respect stack size.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2012, 07:01:30 pm »

Children necromancer/holy - Not a good thing.  Nigh impossible to pinpoint the problem child, as combat logs only show "Dwarven child" with no name.

It bases the combat log off the profession, so giving you children professions of "Child 1", "Child 2", etc. may help. I had the same problem with a necrodwarf.

Rock crutch: I had this feature at first, but decided that giving injured people rocks to carry around is rather... unintuitive. And heavy ;)

But you left in crutches made from gold, lead, and slade? :D

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 02, 2012, 07:28:55 pm »

Just started in a haunted area... blood is raining from the sky every half-minute.

I'm surprised none of my dorfs have gone Stark Raving Mad.

Dawnofdarkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 02, 2012, 08:00:46 pm »

Bridgedburned is doing well.

The undead attacks are starting to come more frequently but the hammerdwarf militia is keeping them down for now. We are also at a happy population of 66 dwarfs and about to finish the second summer. Last winter trade negotiations with the drow didnt go so good and they left after y initial offer (what is it they wont accept in a trade?). Otherwise nothing truly major has happened yet.

Will report in again in a in-game year.
If Toady implements it, we can kill elves with it.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #131 on: March 02, 2012, 09:40:10 pm »

Drow traders left unhappy ? First report I got, did you shortchance them a lot ?

Dawnofdarkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2012, 01:01:41 pm »

no i mean they kept asking for a mithril baritone but that was all i refused to give them. partly as that is my last resort trade item.
If Toady implements it, we can kill elves with it.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2012, 02:22:24 pm »

If a trader decides they want something. they WANT it, its dammed hard to convince them otherwise.

UncleCern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2012, 03:27:28 pm »

Glacier fortress Ralangzak ("Silverterror"), in a land called Niralkar.

4th year of the fortress. The area is mostly evil, corpses seem to reanimate spontaneously. Strange mists occur regularly turning all living things into lifeless animated corpses. To everyone's surprise mammoths sometimes visit the place, to even more surprise they always manage to escape those clouds and trample all undead trying to attack them. Climate is freezing, with multiple aquifiers. Place is rich in galena and iron ores too.

The fort is quite isolated. Caravans started visiting after 2 years. Fortress managed to survive till then with ease, water was obtained from numerous aquifiers, farming is going well as the fresh water supply is unlimited. Sadly there's only 36 dwarves in here (INCLUDING children). Mostly due to the fact the place is very isolated. Main industries are food, clothing and metals production.

Year no.3. Frequent ambushes and sieges. What's more drows lost one caravan in the area so dwarves of Ralangzak were accused.

It's year no.4 now. Fortress is now uder constant siege. Goblins, drows or those damn evil wizards. main entrance was collapsed to prevent anyone from getting in or out. In the meantime military is being trained and reequipped with better gear. Underground roads and security stations are being carved. The surface should be retaken in 2-3 years from now I believe so the proper ice and water traps can be assembled.
Welcome to the mad, mad world of RAW errors or duplication. Somewhere you have files which dont quite add up, and crazy shit happens(..) There are instances of this where you can adventure as a fly, or embark with wagonmeat, wearing shoes made of burning soap(..)

DF is so awesome that it doesnt just crash, it crates batshit crazy worlds where intelligent chairs farm dragons and make houses out of thier toenails.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16