Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF - V2 - 5 year Challenge  (Read 52854 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF - 10 year Challenge
« Reply #135 on: March 03, 2012, 09:04:48 pm »

Well, I am curious how your surface will look after 2-3 years of being left alone. Hope that no Giants/Automatons show up, that might complicate it a bit. Giants should have a good mechanism against ice-traps, they freeze all water around them first, without freezing themselves. In theory, untested in fortress mode so far.

And good luck if the drow decide to declare war btw.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 03, 2012, 11:26:18 pm »

Castle "Scalelashed" finally made it to year 10 (MW 1.4). :)

I'm 99% certain my dwarven civ is dead. No migrants or dwarven caravans for about 8 of the 10 years. I had 60 or so dwarves earlier on, but was operating with only 40 when I hit year 10. Slowly lost dwarves to mining accidents, ambushes, and moods I couldn't fulfill.

Most of my sieges were from the humans (due to their diplomat dying stupidly). They came riding polar bears and moose. I was also sieged by goblins, and seemingly no end of ambushes by goblins, kobolds, orcs, zombies, mummies, and warlocks. Due to my low population, most of my defensive force consisted of armored war mastiffs. My original military of 7 was unfortunately cut down to 4 by year 10 by a couple of moods and an unfortunate fire. Of those remaining, one is a legendary everything-military guy in full plate armor.

Finally managed to get a golem to work - ended up having to lock the dwarf in the golem room with the job on repeat.

Random notes. These are against 1.4, so some of this may have been addressed already:
  • Spirithunter description oddly mentions "Spiritwebber" as well?
  • Golem runs away from combat (apparently a known problem... can they be given LIKES_FIGHTING or whatever the tag is via syndrome? Would that fix?)
  • Guildhall trapped the guy who built it because I only had exits to the left/right of it. Oops. Dismantled it again because I didn't have the necessary stuff to use it.
  • Wasn't clear how to get creature armory to apply armor initially. I ended up putting a pasture over the armory to ensure that my dogs got hit. Even then, it was maybe a 20% chance of conversion each attempt.
  • Lost 6 or 7 dwarves to moods for cloth I didn't have (yarn?).
  • My "Steel" golem appears to have parts made out of iron, at least according to the combat log (The xyz hits the steel golem in the upper body, denting the iron).
  • Seemingly no way to 'repair' golems. My golem was almost entirely broken after a couple of attacks on it.
  • Couldn't find any bronze. Couldn't make a metallurgist as a result.
  • Opening loot bags - I couldn't figure out what to do with these until I built a creature research thingy. Seems like an odd building to do the opening, but can't think of a better one either.
  • More consumable uses of wood might be an idea. I ended up with over 1000 logs at the end and nothing to really use them for.
  • I love the upgradeable armor. Didn't have a chance to play around with upgradeable weapons though.
  • Couldn't find any magma-safe stone, yet these are required for the dwarven physics lab. Some way to make magma safe 'stone', even if it's from metal or something, would be useful (or switch it to using blocks which are easy to make magma-safe versions of).
  • Didn't get to play with dwarven stuff much due to lack of dwarves :(

I've put the map export up here: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-11085-scalelashed
Points of interest are marked on the left hand side.

Some random ideas for the future:
  • Fish farm. Requires terrariums and water to build and has low output raw fish production when worked (much like a shrine). Perhaps require a blueprint made of fish/turtles/etc. before certain fish farming operations become available? e.g. 5 raw turtles -> turtle pond, makes 'farm turtles' available.
  • Engineering station. Small 1x1 workshop intended to be built on the front lines. Allows repairing for constructs, and allows welding turrets to the ground (remove their legs? immobile tag of some sort?).
  • Cloth -> Thread reaction? Might be useful to be able to unravel cloth and clothing (rather than burning the clothing in the crematorium).

I had a lot of fun with this overall. Will try out the next version when I have more time. :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #137 on: March 04, 2012, 12:28:33 am »

You sir are a winner :) I will have a look at scalelashed right after this post. To adress you feedback:

Couldn't find any bronze. Couldn't make a metallurgist as a result.
- Trading, or Transmutation Chamber. Transmute 2aluminum to bronze.

Wasn't clear how to get creature armory to apply armor initially. I ended up putting a pasture over the armory to ensure that my dogs got hit. Even then, it was maybe a 20% chance of conversion each attempt.
This is the absolutely correct way to do it. I think I mention it in the manual as well. Since it has such a low chance you can recycle the pet armor for unlimited time. I know the issue (same for guildhall/golems/temples) but there is no way to fix it.

My "Steel" golem appears to have parts made out of iron, at least according to the combat log (The xyz hits the steel golem in the upper body, denting the iron).
Seems that the material is declared once on the main creature, and does not accept the caste defined materials. I will do more arena testing on this, if it is true I can easily fix it. Good find.

Spirithunter description oddly mentions "Spiritwebber" as well?
Spirithunter = male, ranged fighter.
Spiritwebber = female, webber.
Both should be good additions to safely stationed ranged squads.

I love the upgradeable armor. Didn't have a chance to play around with upgradeable weapons though.
A shame about the weapons, since they make for interesting combat logs, and the epic ones are full of easter eggs.

Couldn't find any magma-safe stone, yet these are required for the dwarven physics lab. Some way to make magma safe 'stone', even if it's from metal or something, would be useful (or switch it to using blocks which are easy to make magma-safe versions of).
Is changed :) I also made a reaction to make a boulder from a block, which would help as well.

More consumable uses of wood might be an idea. I ended up with over 1000 logs at the end and nothing to really use them for.
Wow. I thought I had covered that, with iron and steel from the special trees, leatherbark from nethercaps, edible/brewable fungi from fungiwood... the only thing left is normal wood. Any idea about what I should do with tons of wood ? ^^

Opening loot bags - I couldn't figure out what to do with these until I built a creature research thingy. Seems like an odd building to do the opening, but can't think of a better one either.
Yeah, I did not know where to add them as well. I hope to overhaul this building and add more drops. I just put it there because both kobold loot and megabeast essence are special itemcorpses. I'd like to change this simple system to something better, since DF2012 offers so many options :)

Lost 6 or 7 dwarves to moods for cloth I didn't have (yarn?).
Mmmhh... got similar reports once before, but not many, with yours it is 3 now. I think I can force some moods and test with runesmith, but they need to update it for DF2012 before I can do anything.

Do I understand it correctly that you like those as your "price" ? Otherwise sent me a PM, I am sure I can sneak in an easter egg or two for you.

Some random ideas for the future:
Fish farm. Requires terrariums and water to build and has low output raw fish production when worked (much like a shrine). Perhaps require a blueprint made of fish/turtles/etc. before certain fish farming operations become available? e.g. 5 raw turtles -> turtle pond, makes 'farm turtles' available.
Engineering station. Small 1x1 workshop intended to be built on the front lines. Allows repairing for constructs, and allows welding turrets to the ground (remove their legs? immobile tag of some sort?).
Cloth -> Thread reaction? Might be useful to be able to unravel cloth and clothing (rather than burning the clothing in the crematorium).

FishFarm (or even magma fish farm maybe) can be done. Nice idea for deserts/glaciers, buy fish from caravan and build a fish farm. On the other hand fishing is overpowered as it is, but it would make those ridiculus migrants with fishing skills usefull in waterless maps. Is added to my to-do list.

Engineering station: Cant make turrets stationary, if I could do that they would be stationary already ;) I could add a boiling stone reaction to the golem forge that only affects golems and adds recuperation:5000 for a short time to them, this should repair most damage. Good idea, I will do testing. But again it has the same problem that boiling stones dont always work.

Cloth to thread, silk item to silk, cloth item to cloth and yarn item to yarn is added to the carftsman. :)

Thanks for playing and glad that you like the mod. Next update is not far btw, mostly manual and GUI, as well as testing with slaves. Rest is finished.

PS: Armored mastiffs are also nerfed and not so overkill anymore.

PPS: Beautiful fortress. Amazed by the micromanagemend you did for stockpiling, and the size of your farm/breeding pit/wood stockpile. How many dwarves did you have again ? ;) And a prison with a well and a plump helmet for each prisoner... nice.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 12:35:55 am by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 04, 2012, 01:54:02 am »

Lost 6 or 7 dwarves to moods for cloth I didn't have (yarn?). Mmmhh... got similar reports once before, but not many, with yours it is 3 now. I think I can force some moods and test with runesmith, but they need to update it for DF2012 before I can do anything.

There was one sub-version (1.4.0?) along the way here in which yarn wasn't working properly and killed a couple of my moodys, and while I was playing around trying to hotfix it I found I could quickly test whether the "hair cloth" counted as yarn.  By using the loom or the clothier. 

Embark with an alpaca, build farmer, build loom, turn off autoloom in workshop profile, shear, spin -> While the thread is sitting in a stockpile, check whether it's the "plant thread" or "yarn" version of the Loom reaction is active.  (Or, after the cloth is made see whether you can make Yarn bag at the clothier)

Wow ItchyBeard, that fortress is amazing, and nice job hanging on so long without migrants.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 02:08:58 am by smakemupagus »

zelpao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 04, 2012, 02:12:55 am »

I'll give it a try, but I did change some of the settings for my needs (like having aquifers).
So far, I went to do a zero item embark to see how things go, and it's pretty interesting to say the least.
This is a quick summary of each season:

My first migrant wave has a dwarf that learned white magic and is constantly spamming heal on every allied unit in the area, which is somewhat annoying, (seems good to have though).

Second wave in, one of the migrants had a hellfire turret as a pet.  Have yet to find some action to see how it goes, but I bet it'll burn everything in its wake.

With the dwarf caravan arriving, I had obtained an axe and a pick, so hopefully I'll have a nice defense grid for the base soon.

Into the second year, no dwarfs immigrated in.  Had two births.  Elves came early, and traded some necessary brew and animals for trinkets. After the elves had finished their trades, summer arrived with a snatcher and two thieves outside the fort. 

A week into summer, a different snatcher happened to get into my underground fortress.
Unfortunately, it was met with my hellfire turret in a corridor, which proceeded to blast half of my map into burning embers.  Still coping with the losses of 5 dwarfs(two fishers, legendary herbalist, fish cleaner, and a random dude) as 3/4 of the animals have also died as well.  Luckily the healer chef managed to keep the rest of my dwarfs alive.  Lost all wood and the axe. Note to self:  Never pen dangerous stuff in hallways.  Still, it was funny indeed.

Will post some more hilarity tomorrow probably.

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 04, 2012, 03:14:48 am »

PPS: Beautiful fortress. Amazed by the micromanagemend you did for stockpiling, and the size of your farm/breeding pit/wood stockpile. How many dwarves did you have again ? ;) And a prison with a well and a plump helmet for each prisoner... nice.

Heh, you noticed that? That's actually one giant 'plump helmet' stockpile from which I manually deleted all but the relevant squares (because you annoyingly can't have multiple stockpiles taking from a single one - not sure why toady disallowed that). I also turned off barrels for that stockpile. A few plump helmets getting eaten by insects isn't really a concern when you have a couple of dedicated legendary farmers.

Good thing I set the prison up too - one of my dwarves got a bad mood and turned one of my other dwarves into a bone buckler (my jeweler from memory) >:(. He only got 197 days in prison for that (or something around there... was less than 200).

The large scale design was in anticipation of more migrants... who never came. The giant cistern was just because I could - dwarves were already using the brook for water/cleaning before I had the cistern set up so there was no urgency in getting water running.

Usually I'll have individual industries in self-contained branches (e.g. farming / brewing down one corridor w/ barrel, plant, and bag stockpiles) with restricted pathing outside of those areas, but this was the 3rd attempt at the 10 year thing so I just sloppily dug out a big area and dumped stockpiles everywhere. I had enough materials to fully armor all my dwarves if I wanted to... but I'm lazy. The 'bar' material stockpile was 11x11 (near the furnaces) and was almost completely full of bins... The workshops around the edges were rebuilt and moved several times as I played around with the new buildings.

Final save is 13MB compressed. Happy to upload it somewhere if people want to have a more detailed look - I just have no idea where to upload it to. It's for 1.4, but it should contain the raws for that version in the save.

I think when the next version comes out I'll play around with a proper military (full armor, enchanted weapons), and breach the caverns so I can play with alchemy some. I might also play around with firearms now that I know that you don't require saltpeter and potash will do instead. I think focusing on one thing per fortress is probably for the best - the mod adds too much new stuff to do all at once :).

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 04, 2012, 04:48:13 am »

So, Digging doesn't seem very nice for me, all things are kinda weird named so I don't like the idea of going down that much. Aboveground fortresses for the win there, I found it funny as hell that a Hellfire Turret came with a Migrant wave and pretty much decimated a Strangler Seige, along with all my Crops...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #142 on: March 04, 2012, 11:14:46 am »

I think focusing on one thing per fortress is probably for the best - the mod adds too much new stuff to do all at once .

:)

About the turrets: Seems I really have to find a way for migrants to bring less of them. Maybe I can make 3 creatures with 2 castes, instead of 6 creatures. Stone and Salde together, Fire and HEllfire, Acid and Warpstone. Then give the weak caste a pop-ratio of 1000 and the strong one pop-ration 1.  It would mean that they have the same graphics though. Worth a test.

UncleCern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 04, 2012, 05:11:27 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, I am curious how your surface will look after 2-3 years of being left alone.
Surface looks like a battlefield. Shit, blood, ichor everywhere. Same with random equipment.

The entrance was moved towards the non-evil part of the embark area. This helps not to create more zombies than necessary because most fights against frogpeople or goblins take place there. The number of zombies decreased from over 70 to about 20. Squads continue luring and dispatching the undead. The tunnel network is mainly done. Linking the bridges and assembling the control room shall take another year though. Living here is HARD as hell.
Welcome to the mad, mad world of RAW errors or duplication. Somewhere you have files which dont quite add up, and crazy shit happens(..) There are instances of this where you can adventure as a fly, or embark with wagonmeat, wearing shoes made of burning soap(..)

DF is so awesome that it doesnt just crash, it crates batshit crazy worlds where intelligent chairs farm dragons and make houses out of thier toenails.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #144 on: March 04, 2012, 11:13:53 pm »

Work on the next version is going slowly. I found a workaround for the free turrets, added a lot of new features, but slaves and golems make problem.

Golem can be drafted in the military now, but still flee. -.-
Slaves work and breed, good. But viewing the creature description crashes the game, bad. -.-

Testing both is slow, and I dont have a clear solution in view, but keep trying. 8)

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 05, 2012, 05:30:36 am »

still keen for this to happen? Any particular settings you want tested?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #146 on: March 05, 2012, 11:28:09 am »

Just wrapping up the next download, so if you like to wait 1-2 days then you could use the next version.

JimmyBobJr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 05, 2012, 12:30:42 pm »

Challenge Accepted.

I have been reporting any issues ive found in the main thread, but im about 7 years into the current fortress.

Onyl issue so far; Undread Drow are OP.
Where is the chemistry
They tried chemistry once.
It created soap.
Dwarves lost interest in chemistry after that.

UncleCern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 05, 2012, 01:47:41 pm »

Challenge Accepted.

I have been reporting any issues ive found in the main thread, but im about 7 years into the current fortress.

Onyl issue so far; Undread Drow are OP.

Not really. one just needs to slice those undead drows into bits which are small enough to be any threat. Tested. Worked fine.

EDIT: I have so much fun with my current fortress I'm not switching to the new mod version untill all my dwarves die :]
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 01:50:03 pm by UncleCern »
Welcome to the mad, mad world of RAW errors or duplication. Somewhere you have files which dont quite add up, and crazy shit happens(..) There are instances of this where you can adventure as a fly, or embark with wagonmeat, wearing shoes made of burning soap(..)

DF is so awesome that it doesnt just crash, it crates batshit crazy worlds where intelligent chairs farm dragons and make houses out of thier toenails.

Zuku

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 05, 2012, 02:28:44 pm »

The tomb "Wardsmiths" have reached 11 years with masterwork 1.41, Unfortunely i can't export the images since masterwork 1.41 is using df 34.03, but ill upload the save file instead.

Overall the fort isn't to exciting not compared to ItchyBeard. It just got a tomb with aprox 400 dead things in it.

and this sums up my fort pretty good And they call it a mine...a mine...

Werid stuff/things

Not many other then ItchyBeard said. And it terms of balanceing Orcs looks like an armoured tank but feels like cannon fodder.

And i can't confirm if reading the appraise skill book does make the reader very unhappy or very unluck, becouse after my first broker apprise got rusty i decided to read up the skill, but he and his 3 predicesors died before i could se my forts value.

Overall the balance feels ok not much to complain about :) so great jobe on the mod! and keep up the good work!

In the next version im gona aswell try out more ranged options (with only golems as melee soldiers, if they start to work correctly)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 02:32:34 pm by Zuku »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16