Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF - V2 - 5 year Challenge  (Read 52864 times)

SecondBreakfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF - 10 year Challenge
« Reply #105 on: February 28, 2012, 05:37:18 pm »

Stonecutter uses (in the next version) masonry and stonecraft. I removed the mechanic. You think it should be only one of them, either Mason OR Rockcrafter ?

For the sake of neatness I want to say yes, so as to prevent one group or the other from getting distracted with jobs they shouldn't be bothering with. But it's something that can be easily customised through the workshop profile manager. Maybe just put a line in the building description saying both labours enable it?

And remove horrible cave fungus. It is messing up my lovely bedrooms. Imagine sleeping in a room with fungus for walls. Ugh.  ;)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #106 on: February 28, 2012, 05:47:06 pm »

Fungus will stay ;) If you smooth the walls they look like good old stone walls, so no problem there. Is temperature on ?

about the freezers: The animals wont to anything. They have natural steel armor, so you need at least upgraded steel to beat them. Or something better, pattern wolfram hammers, slade mauls or (runic) candy greataxes. What kind of weapons/materials did you have ? Use mostly edged melee against them. OR use fire. Giants melt.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

SecondBreakfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2012, 06:01:42 pm »

Yep temperature is on, I haven't changed any of the default setting except turning off more engravings (dunno why, I never use them anyway) and installing quickfort.

Just had my first new snatcher, a pyromancer! Getting stolen from a smelly fungus mine to learn how to be a fire wizard actually sounds pretty ace. Though the guy's fireball couldn't make a scratch on the armoured horse that came with the original wagon so who knows? Anyway, he legged it without much fuss.

Best moment so far - realising I don't have to individually tag all my *diorite crown* trade goods and can just hand over the whole bin because bins are no longer precious resources to be hoarded.

Llamainaspitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2012, 06:16:20 pm »

about the freezers: The animals wont to anything. They have natural steel armor, so you need at least upgraded steel to beat them. Or something better, pattern wolfram hammers, slade mauls or (runic) candy greataxes. What kind of weapons/materials did you have ? Use mostly edged melee against them. OR use fire. Giants melt.

Crossbows, a welded cobalt trident, a person with nothing, and Indv. choice.

The game crashed after i posted the post about the freezers.
Loaded up something from earlier

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2012, 06:58:06 pm »

I did not plan on uploading this so soon, but if Today offers a patch, who am I to withhold it from you guys ;)

>>>> NEW DOWNLOAD 1.4.1 for DF 34.03 <<<<

Full changelog (careful, long, as always)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PS: Welded Cobalt is still way below Steel. See it as an upgraded iron. So ONE piercing weapon, one crossbow (useless) and a wrestler. And animals that cant pierce steel skin. No wonder the giant did win. Treat them like tough FB or Titans.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 07:36:10 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 29, 2012, 10:46:01 am »

Giving it a go at moment on 2nd reclaim  first one lost to fire element second try fire and tantrum third going that way but hanging on not had much chance to try out features yet but I will keep trying!

SecondBreakfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 29, 2012, 06:48:32 pm »

Yeah, I'm never going to last ten years of this. My most recent fort was just taken to pieces by one sneaky necromancer, an orc barbarian corpse and a fire turret that just didn't know when to stop. Some issues: The corpses the (I assume) sneaky necromancer was raising were all marked as friendly despite being very unfriendly indeed and boiling leather in oil doesn't work as it produces a stack of 150 oil that can't be moved or used and permanently clutters the workshop. Are turrets meant to be really tough? The orc corpse and the fire turret were locked in immortal combat, each unable to kill the other but certainly dedicated to taking the rest of the fort down.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 29, 2012, 11:45:19 pm »

turrets have obsidian armor, toady's zombies have melee alone, (orc corpse is a resurrected orc i think.) so no, a zombie cant kill it... hopefully stacking damage and pulping will make it in soon, so zombies will stop getting up.

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2012, 12:14:03 am »

About half way through the 10 years here - the problem has been new releases of MW are coming out before I can complete a fort :). I'm sticking with MW 1.4 until year 10 now as I want to finish the castle I'm building.

The main issue I'm having is I only have 50-something dwarves left. Migrants are refusing to arrive now due to the large quantities of bodies which are piling up outside the fort... caravans will arrive and then get ambushed immediately. In the process of setting up some 'bait' traps to see if I can reveal the ambushes slightly earlier. Also having a few problems with ghosts who are not on the engraveable list, but I think that's a DF bug.

I've been looking at the new stuff from the engineers workshop, but the traps components don't seem all that attractive given the number of trap avoiding enemies. The armor plates however look quite fun.

I've been messing with the loading/unloading stations too - quite a clever idea :). It might be nice if there were options along the lines of 'load basic stones, load metal ore', but I'm not sure how feasible that is. I basically want to be able to load common stone and dump them in a different place to all the metal ore and coal I'm mining. Currently working around that with a combination of dumping and loading/unloading.

Had gremlins show up in the caverns and slaughter a forgotten beast there which was kinda odd. They're showing as a civ under the civ menu.

yllamana

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2012, 05:31:05 am »

I decided to embark on top of a waterfall. No problem, right? I'll just use a burrow to keep them from jumping into the water and laugh at the endless procession of nasties falling off the cliff! A couple of carp do the first demonstration, one dying and one escaping with major injuries.

Then my jeweler - a budding military dwarf - makes the leap of faith off the waterfall.

I furiously dig and manage to get him up and out of the water and build a hospital to put him in. I suspect he saw a distant animal wandering around and tried to chase it, since military dwarves don't respect burrows.

Anyway, he's followed in reasonably quick succession by the woodcutter, the woodworker and the mason, the last of whom dies on impact. I have no idea what possessed them to try and get over there despite the burrow orders, but either way it provides plenty of practice for the hastily-drafted Dr. Expedition Leader, chosen for his work ethic and love for working with others. The jeweler, in fact, ends up making a full recovery. The others don't look quite as hopeful.

My only guess is that not having a meeting area set up caused them to wander randomly above ground, and that perhaps they don't respect burrows entirely when they do that. Anyway...

Then this happens:
The militia commander hacks The Macedwarf in the right foot with his (copper great axe), tearing apart the muscle and bruising the bone! A sensory nerve has been severed, a ligament has been torn and a tendon has been torn! The Macedwarf falls over.
Er, what? They were sparring and that happened. Wild new bug? Wild new feature?

One thing's for sure: the medical system is awesome.

Alarion

• Bay Watcher
  • I put on my robe and wizard hat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2012, 07:30:12 am »

So I had another go at The Hill of Death, which more or less lives up to its name. I've survived three tantrum spirals and a couple of invasions, and each time the fort gets back up and running again - mostly since every carveable surface has masterwork engravings on them from the numerous legendary engravers that have showed up every time the previous ones get killed. It was also a bad idea to remove all the beds before I made new ones, so I had the fortress tantrum for a while before I got that figured out. One result from that is that I now have a melancholic dwarf sitting in an underground cistern alone with water over his head, but still somehow alive. I suspect it's because he's able to drink a lot, but it's still odd. I have a whole floor dedicated to memorial slabs, since I atom-smash all the corpses to prevent them from accidental necromancer raising. I also noticed the corpses were tagged as "friendly", which was strange. Maybe because it's a friendly dwarf raising them or something? One thing is for certain - the elven caravan getting ambushed was the best thing to happen to the fort ever, since they brought a breeding pair of dragons that have since been war trained and is now the fortress' primary means of defense. Last siege they single-handedly wiped out 24 orcs on mounts, and before that several dozen undead that came along. Right now I have pastured them in the first entry room with double doors, followed by a pasture of turrets and armored dogs/horses, and a third room for military dwarves if they got that far. Behind that is the hatch to the underground fort and a cage with dozens of war dogs if need be. Works out well if you don't get in the way of the dragonfires...

Some things of note: I can't see what the selection is on in the menus, as the selection bar is completely opaque. This is rather annoying, as I have to either scroll up and down to see what the selected dwarf is doing and all that, and in categories with only one member (like the "other" in the unit menu or if a category has a full list +1 in it) I have to enter their profile to see anything about it. Not unusable, but quite bothersome. Weapons are awesome and useful, and so is the armor that the caravans nicely provide. Most features are good, but the documentation could use more work in determining what workshops do what. I'll be trying out libraries next to see what they have to offer. Also see the melancholic dwarf thing above - all the others that went crazy from being miserable have died, but he's been there for two years and still seems ok despite having a literal bridge dropped on him, being introduced to weapons of various kinds and flooding the cistern to the brink with water. I don't want to kill him violently though, as that risks contaminating the well, and that would be bad. Will have to wait on this... maybe a fall would work nicely? Must test...

No caverns or metalworking as of yet, but since I have literally hundreds of weapons and armor in various conditions lying around from destroyed caravans and invaders, this is hardly a problem. Gotta make a military, eventually. Or so I think.

Also, I like the little easter eggs! So far I've noticed burning elephant statues, orcs with "waagh" battle axes, and some more fun things amongst the craftings and engravings and stuff. You do a great job, keep it up!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:08:10 am by Alarion »
Death shall sow, and summer burn, before the Great Lord comes.
Death shall reap, and bodies fail, before the Great Lord comes.
Now the Great Lord comes. Now the Great Lord comes.
Blood feeds blood. Blood calls blood. Blood is, and blood was, and blood shall ever be.
Now the Great Lord comes.

SecondBreakfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2012, 08:06:52 am »

Critters marked as 'friendly' when not seems to be recurring pretty regularly, dunno whether that's Masterwork or vanilla Dwarf Fortress being crazy. Just breached the ceiling of an open cavern and had a drone antman teleport into my fort from several levels down (antmen can't fly, right?) murder my manager and then chill out under the 'friendly' tag. Had to order the squad to kill him manually. Which they did, not without further casualties though.

Dawnofdarkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2012, 11:44:28 am »

Challenge Accepted.

I have embarked on a haunted biome also for the extra challenge...

If all goes well (and i really hope it does) this fortress shall also double as a !!SCIENCE!! facility.

I think i will also give a report on the fortress every year to two years.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 11:48:30 am by Dawnofdarkness »
If Toady implements it, we can kill elves with it.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2012, 07:12:14 pm »

Ore, Flux, Stone for loading station should be possible. I will do some testing.

Interactions are buggy by DF design, creatures with them always target and valid target. That means that a necromancer will raise friendly AND hostile creatures alike, same goes for the healer, he will heal friendlys and hostiles, even unharmed creatures. Stupid AI. Makes a magic system very difficult to add to Fortress Mode.

Otherwise not much modding, enjoaing RL ;)

Poch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 02, 2012, 06:20:47 am »

Well i think nobody made it to survive 10 years and came back here to make a game report about balance and everything with last version.

I just fixed my last embark, i finally know the mod better after a few games, so i'll try to start a real game, and try to make it through 10 years. (in previous game, i figured out after 4 years that migrants wave were bugged for an unkonw reason and i was stucked with 10 dwarves).

See you tomorrow to see how it went  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16