Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881069 times)

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2595 on: July 11, 2012, 06:24:37 am »

So as I am generating a new world I'm using this nifty feature called Zoom, zooming in and out with my mousewheel. For some reason it causes the world generation to speed up, specifically the mineral generation seems to go from 40 per second to like 120 per second (out of 2500)

What gives?

This doesn't sound like a DF thing to me, rather, something to do with how your computer prioritizes CPU usage for different programs: if you're doing something actively in DF, it gets higher priority than if your computer thinks it's just running in the background.

edit: I think there's a setting for CPU priority in init.txt, too...

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: July 11, 2012, 06:50:19 am »

You can transfer power from above, transmitting to the non-passable square should work, at least. You can also transmit from the tile that the pump pumps from, like this:
g%%output area
However, if you do that, you can't have a grate/hatch cover in the space where the gear (g) is.

Thanks for your answer Snaake :)
Your idea of Dwarven Generator points me to nice reading, even if now I wonder if pumps would not generate power from everywhere! I was on my way to test it above ground in a "lab area", but dwarves are all busy suffocating from deadly dust  :'(

Quote from: wiki
Power can also be routed out of the reactor via a gear or horizontal axle over the pump's intake tile;
Note for the next fortress dwarfs engineers: test sideways, both tiles, test above, both tiles.

By the way, 3x3 reservoirs at each level are a bit much, maybe? 1x3 is enough to avoid the magma pump stack killing your fps.

I gather from the stack pump improvement that it's better (less worse) for the FPS as heat is less recalculated. I (start to) use the modified version with top to tail reservoir (z : reservoir north, Z-1: reservoir south, Z-2 : north etc..). Damn. I was SO proud when my squads finished the battle with the beast without one dead.
* sob *

Yes, the reason why it's 1x3 is that it's better for fps due to fewer temperature recalculations, however I was under the impression that the latest info is that 1x3 in a t-shape is enough, with no improvement in fps beyond that. Like this (pumping left to right):

+
.%%+
   +

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: July 11, 2012, 07:07:54 am »

Yes, the reason why it's 1x3 is that it's better for fps due to fewer temperature recalculations, however I was under the impression that the latest info is that 1x3 in a t-shape is enough, with no improvement in fps beyond that. Like this (pumping left to right):

+
.%%+
   +

Oki, I've misunderstood the post then  :-\
I took the introduction as the classic stack pump and the spoiler as the new proposition!
It's the other way round. Good thing I have to start again.
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: July 11, 2012, 08:26:56 am »

+
.%%+
   +

Oki, I've misunderstood the post then  :-\
I took the introduction as the classic stack pump and the spoiler as the new proposition!
It's the other way round. Good thing I have to start again.

Yea, you have it the right way around now. No need to start again though, just build whatever parts of the stack you still need to build with the smaller reservoirs. The big ones are still usable, just take a longer time to dig out and prime (=fill up with magma initially).

backora900

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: July 11, 2012, 02:59:10 pm »

Adventure mode - wresler
If I grab someone with my right hand by his weapon (knife). Why is there no option to take his weapon? The other hand is empty if that mean anything.

Also why do I get so many "adjust grip" messages when I am grand master wrestler with superior strength? Is it just poorly generated adventurer and I have no chance to change it?

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: July 11, 2012, 06:51:29 pm »

Adventure mode - wresler
If I grab someone with my right hand by his weapon (knife). Why is there no option to take his weapon? The other hand is empty if that mean anything.

Also why do I get so many "adjust grip" messages when I am grand master wrestler with superior strength? Is it just poorly generated adventurer and I have no chance to change it?

Use interact (shift-i), and you should now see your opponent's weapon listed there. Select it and have fun!

I've had more success with wrestling by using my lower arms instead of the default upper arm.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: July 12, 2012, 12:38:01 am »

Can evil areas have only a single evil effect attached to them, or are they more than one-per-biome? For instance, could an area with cursed fog still renimate the dead?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 03:00:02 am by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: July 12, 2012, 08:53:35 am »

Shouldn't all these chicks that just hatched be penned up, if the hen is penned up?  Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: July 12, 2012, 11:45:34 am »

Are custom names for squads in 34.11 ?
I remember I could do that in 34.10 but after changing to 34.11 I'm not allowed to do it.
I'm playing with LNP. Is it taken out or is my copy corrupted?

backora900

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: July 12, 2012, 12:19:17 pm »

Adventure mode - wresler

Use interact (shift-i), and you should now see your opponent's weapon listed there. Select it and have fun!

I've had more success with wrestling by using my lower arms instead of the default upper arm.
Oh that looks better than my tactic "grab a weapon with my left hand and break enemy's hand with my righ hand".
Also for wrestling I use hands.
Thanks.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: July 12, 2012, 01:28:03 pm »

Are custom names for squads in 34.11 ?
I remember I could do that in 34.10 but after changing to 34.11 I'm not allowed to do it.
I'm playing with LNP. Is it taken out or is my copy corrupted?

Naming squads is still possible. Just select the squad in the military menu and press (N). If that doesn't work, something might be wrong with the LNP. Try downloading vanilla DF and loading your save there.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

DrunkenCaveOgre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: July 12, 2012, 02:28:43 pm »

DrunkenCaveOgre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: July 12, 2012, 03:50:30 pm »

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: July 12, 2012, 04:04:02 pm »

Shouldn't all these chicks that just hatched be penned up, if the hen is penned up?  Knutor

Penned up = ? I think animal offspring should be automatically set to a pasture now, if the mother is, but it's not too far-fetched that it might not work with egg-layers. I usually cage all the chicks/poults/whatnot right after hatching anyway, haven't really noticed.

g1real

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: July 12, 2012, 04:54:32 pm »

So as I am generating a new world I'm using this nifty feature called Zoom, zooming in and out with my mousewheel. For some reason it causes the world generation to speed up, specifically the mineral generation seems to go from 40 per second to like 120 per second (out of 2500)

What gives?

This doesn't sound like a DF thing to me, rather, something to do with how your computer prioritizes CPU usage for different programs: if you're doing something actively in DF, it gets higher priority than if your computer thinks it's just running in the background.

edit: I think there's a setting for CPU priority in init.txt, too...

It's not a priority thing as it doesnt affect other parts of generation (not noticably at least)
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 422