Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 880996 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2625 on: July 13, 2012, 06:12:25 pm »

Gloves aren't shaped, gauntlets are. They have a shape due to being made as individual left and right items, but only gauntlets have the tag that makes the associated item one per body part.

My militia commander refuses to wear anything other than a breastplate and greaves. No gauntlets, boots or helm. He claims them, in a sense: in the equipment screen, the telltale green mark appears next to "Metal Footwear" and such as soon as I make the relevant piece. He's just not actually putting it on.
Is your uniform set to 'replace clothing' or 'over clothing'? That's usually the problem (dwarves won't put on extra clothes/armour items if that body slot is full). I believe that armour now counts as clothing for the purposes of clothing thoughts, but to be on the safe side you could add footwear, lower body wear, and upper body wear to the uniform and set it to 'replace clothing'.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: July 13, 2012, 06:15:43 pm »

Use "P" (capital p) to check what your dwarf is wearing to fulfill his/her assignments.

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: July 13, 2012, 06:45:03 pm »

Huh, never used [P] before. Still, all of the armor shows up exactly as expected. Again, though: he's not actually wearing it.

And it's set to "Over Clothing." Your solution of switching to "Replace Clothing" is functional, if a bit bothersome. It's probably what I'll have to do for now, so thanks for the idea.

So presumably what's happening is that the gauntlets are probably conflicting with the mittens, and the boots with the shoes, and the helm with the cap or hood. But the recent update broke their ability to take the old thing off in order to put the armor on. Annoying, since the update was supposed to fix layering, not break it. I've never had this kind of issue before: my last fort in 34.10, I had more than ten legendary-skilled combatants who always wore their armor like good little dwarves.   

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: July 14, 2012, 04:53:17 pm »

I have heard that only one cart can be on a track at once, i.e. if you put a second one on the track by having overlapping routes, the other just derails. Is this true, or can multiple minecarts be loaded onto the same track, each on a different route?

EDIT: One more question; can necromancers still ambush you in your migrant waves if you're not within 10 tiles of their tower?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 06:29:30 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Thorakh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: July 14, 2012, 06:16:19 pm »

How do I get my marksdwarves to train at the archery targets? They will very sporadically shoot at it but most of the time they're busy doing useless demonstrations or other things. My archery range is within my baracks. I've enabled both the baracks and the archery range as being a training spot for my dwarves. If I only set the archery range as training spot, my dwarves won't even go there and just sit around somewhere in my fortress doing absolutely nothing.

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: July 14, 2012, 06:51:08 pm »

What is better for maces, iron or steel?
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: July 14, 2012, 08:09:00 pm »

What is better for maces, iron or steel?

Steel, and probably silver too. Silver is heavier than either iron/steel, but steel's otherwise better properties counterbalance this somewhat. Or that's my understanding of current knowledge.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: July 14, 2012, 10:50:57 pm »

It's my understanding that steel is less dense than iron, so out of those two, I would consider iron to be the better one. Silver beats them both by far, however, as its density is much greater than either one.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: July 14, 2012, 11:20:31 pm »

It's my understanding that steel is less dense than iron, so out of those two, I would consider iron to be the better one. Silver beats them both by far, however, as its density is much greater than either one.
Ripped off the wiki:
steel:  [SOLID_DENSITY:7850]
Silver: [SOLID_DENSITY:10490]
iron:   [SOLID_DENSITY:7850]
I am rather inexperienced at the raws so correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't this mean Iron and steel are the same density? With silver much higher like you said.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: July 14, 2012, 11:28:10 pm »

Are these L Set Traffic Areas supposed to linger behind, after minecart track is deconstructed?  Or is this a bug?  Thanks, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: July 15, 2012, 02:03:10 am »

Ripped off the wiki:
steel:  [SOLID_DENSITY:7850]
Silver: [SOLID_DENSITY:10490]
iron:   [SOLID_DENSITY:7850]
I am rather inexperienced at the raws so correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't this mean Iron and steel are the same density? With silver much higher like you said.

Huh, I didn't know that. I guess they are indeed equal.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: July 15, 2012, 02:55:05 am »

How do I get my marksdwarves to train at the archery targets? They will very sporadically shoot at it but most of the time they're busy doing useless demonstrations or other things. My archery range is within my baracks. I've enabled both the baracks and the archery range as being a training spot for my dwarves. If I only set the archery range as training spot, my dwarves won't even go there and just sit around somewhere in my fortress doing absolutely nothing.

sounds like not enough bolts or bolts reserved for hunting/combat
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: July 15, 2012, 05:40:49 am »

Use "P" (capital p) to check what your dwarf is wearing to fulfill his/her assignments.
Sorry, into which menu do you get 'P' (capital)?
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: July 15, 2012, 08:28:45 am »

Sorry, into which menu do you get 'P' (capital)?
In (m)ilitary - (e)quipment.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: July 15, 2012, 03:22:59 pm »

This may end up becoming a modding question (in its respective thread), but does anyone else experience an unreasonable number of crashes on the embark screen where you're assigning skills to your starting seven?  Back in .31.25 I don't think I've ever seen DF crash on this screen, but it seems to happen randomly and frustratingly commonly for me in .34.11.

It happens randomly whenever I 'v'iew the dwarf (or not a dwarf in this case), or use 'c' to go and give them a name.  I'm using a saved embark profile to help mitigate time lost this way, but maybe it's exacerbating the problem.  Even a dwarf I've viewed fine may crash the game if I come back to them.

The game is modded and I'm using a custom species for the game, but I'd like to rule out the possibility that it's crashing here for others before I wrack my brain trying to figure out if I've somehow managed to break it myself.

In the past, running as administrator helped get around crash problems for me, but it didn't have any effect in this case.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 422