Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881099 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2565 on: July 09, 2012, 04:59:16 pm »

If I set the game to no pregnancies, make a world, play it, save it and set the game back to a certain number of children allowed, does my old world get children or does it only affect future worlds?
The child cap doesn't affect worlds at all, only your fortress.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: July 09, 2012, 07:51:22 pm »

Let's suppose Urist "is incredibly fat", but also "his lower right arm fat is missing". Does that body part still benefit from that thick layer of fat, as far as protection goes? I'm having difficulty testing it.

Urist McPenguinhead

• Bay Watcher
  • dungeon master with questionable motives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: July 09, 2012, 08:38:34 pm »

Will military dwarves spar with dwarves from other squads? I'm pretty sure they don't, but I'm not certain.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: July 09, 2012, 09:39:59 pm »

Will military dwarves spar with dwarves from other squads? I'm pretty sure they don't, but I'm not certain.
Let's suppose Urist "is incredibly fat", but also "his lower right arm fat is missing". Does that body part still benefit from that thick layer of fat, as far as protection goes? I'm having difficulty testing it.
No to both of these, unless I'm mistaken.

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: July 09, 2012, 10:33:46 pm »

I've just made 200 3x3 bed rooms. Each with a bed, chair, table, cabinet, chest, and door. My questions is what do I need to do next?

I started going to each item pressing "r" to make it a room, then assigning it to a dwarf. I was doing this for the Bed, Table, and Chair and after doing it to the first 10 rooms I'm really hoping there is an easier way or maybe if I just leave them alone they dwarfs will claim them on their own? 

Thanks for the advice.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: July 09, 2012, 11:12:31 pm »

I've just made 200 3x3 bed rooms. Each with a bed, chair, table, cabinet, chest, and door. My questions is what do I need to do next?

I started going to each item pressing "r" to make it a room, then assigning it to a dwarf. I was doing this for the Bed, Table, and Chair and after doing it to the first 10 rooms I'm really hoping there is an easier way or maybe if I just leave them alone they dwarfs will claim them on their own? 

Thanks for the advice.
Don't bother assigning the table and chair, they'll be happy enough with the 3x3 bedroom with all that stuff crammed into it. Also, don't bother assigning the beds, dwarves will claim them on their own.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

backora900

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: July 10, 2012, 04:09:42 am »

Only make room from beds and don't assign them to any particular dwarf. They will take them by themselves.
Also note when you create both bedroom and dinning room in those 3x3 squares there is decrease in value of room (I don't know the mechanics)
Nobles may need something special but that shouldn't be a problem. (When bedroom/dinning room and study are the same room they get unhappy though from speeking to liason or something like that)

Now if those beds are at same distance from each other you can use macros to simplify your job. (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Macro)

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: July 10, 2012, 08:45:46 am »

I've generally assigned bedrooms manually, because I want all dwarves to have a room assigned to them ASAP after the rooms are ready. Because I'm neurotic like that. I'm thinking of switching from using 1x3 rooms to 3x3 for my future forts, just for a bit of extra challenge, and trying to make my dwarves as happy as possible, with their favorite materials used for furniture etc. Also 2 beds for couples and attached dining rooms and bedrooms for kids, if they have more family.

When (=how soon) will dwarves claim rooms? The next time they get drowsy/go to sleep? Do they just pick at random/the closest room, or do they also consider e.g. if a room has a bed/other furniture/walls/floor with a material/color they like, then they prefer that one?

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: July 10, 2012, 09:30:49 am »

The next time they get drowsy/go to sleep?
This, and random room assignments I think.

peccan

• Bay Watcher
  • Ennen kuin pimeä tulee...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: July 10, 2012, 10:18:41 am »

Let's try this again.

Is it possible to make a monarch come without having 140 dwarves or digging "quite deep"? My FPS cannot really handle either of those options. Looked at the raws and only found requirements for nobles.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: July 10, 2012, 10:25:48 am »

Let's try this again.

Is it possible to make a monarch come without having 140 dwarves or digging "quite deep"? My FPS cannot really handle either of those options. Looked at the raws and only found requirements for nobles.
Have you checked the nobles screen to see if there's an option to become the capital? It will show you the progress achieved so far in becoming the capital. Your fort needs to export a certain amount of wealth and offer a certain amount of wealth (presumably as tribute) in order to get the monarch to come with their entourage.

peccan

• Bay Watcher
  • Ennen kuin pimeä tulee...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: July 10, 2012, 10:32:12 am »

From the wiki
You may check how close you are to meeting the requirements for a monarch's arrival by pressing n -> c after you have a population of at least 140. This option does not appear on the Nobles screen before then.

Pressing c or C in the nobles screen does nothing for me. I only have about 90 dorfs, it's about as much as my hardware can handle (and yes, this is a miniature embark without temperature, weather, invaders etc.)

According to the wiki though my fortress exceeds all of the architecture, offerings etc requirements by multiples.

//edit Awwww :( well thanks anyways, I guess I'll have to try an embark with no caverns and a flatter landscape then.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 10:41:41 am by peccan »

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: July 10, 2012, 10:39:47 am »

In which case I suspect that the population requirement may be hardcoded and thus you must have at least 140 dwarves before the monarch will come.

Thorakh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: July 10, 2012, 10:46:56 am »

If I set the game to no pregnancies, make a world, play it, save it and set the game back to a certain number of children allowed, does my old world get children or does it only affect future worlds?
The child cap doesn't affect worlds at all, only your fortress.
You mean that my fortress started after I set the cap to zero will start generating pregnancies when I set the cap higher? Same with population cap?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: July 10, 2012, 11:46:46 am »

If you set the population cap higher, immigrations will start after the dwarven liaison gets back to the mountainhomes. Basically, the liaison delivers the message that your fortress wants more immigrants. If he dies on your map, you'll have to wait until next year.
I don't know if the liaison affects the number of pregnancies, too, but I doubt it. So, if you set the child cap higher, you should get new pregnancies immediately.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 422