Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881011 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2610 on: July 12, 2012, 09:33:29 pm »

Shouldn't all these chicks that just hatched be penned up, if the hen is penned up?  Knutor

Penned up = ? I think animal offspring should be automatically set to a pasture now, if the mother is, but it's not too far-fetched that it might not work with egg-layers. I usually cage all the chicks/poults/whatnot right after hatching anyway, haven't really noticed.

I think your right.  Its not working for flyers or nest boxers.  Haven't determined which, precisely its not working for.  I know it is not working for chicks, and gosling in [34.11].  Hen is penned, chicks still hatch into the wild blue yonder.

Some Science needs to be done.  To determine which flyers or nest boxers, this applies to.  My guess is both.  As all flyers I can think of lay eggs, with exception of maybe, bats.  But I could be mistaken.  Bats born from an egg?  Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: July 12, 2012, 10:03:23 pm »

Giant bats give birth to live young. Bats (vermin) and bat men have no child-related tags.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: July 12, 2012, 10:10:40 pm »

Giant bats give birth to live young. Bats (vermin) and bat men have no child-related tags.

Then we do need testing.  Thats a flier without a nest box.  To determine birthing consequences.  Drats, no beast master option available anymore.  Can someone who is good at shark dentistry help us answer the question. 

Will giant bat babies be penned up with their mother, or fly free? 

Thank you, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: July 12, 2012, 11:24:20 pm »

Btw, none of the domestic poultry can fly in-game afaik. So it.s egg-layers, then.

peccan

• Bay Watcher
  • Ennen kuin pimeä tulee...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: July 13, 2012, 12:30:51 am »

Then we do need testing.  Thats a flier without a nest box.  To determine birthing consequences.  Drats, no beast master option available anymore.  Can someone who is good at shark dentistry help us answer the question. 

Thank you, Knutor
Ehh, they're mammals first and foremost. They have no need to incubate, thus, no need for nest boxes. But with the pasturing I cannot help, I haven't conquered my caverns yet...

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: July 13, 2012, 01:13:02 am »

Alternately, and much easier, will an egglayer that can't fly have pastured offspring.  The answer is no.  Chickens, for example, are egglayers without the FLIER tag, and their chicks aren't auto-pastured.

That seems pretty conclusive that it's the LAYS_EGGS tag that's interfering with auto-pasturing here.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: July 13, 2012, 04:30:35 am »

Btw, none of the domestic poultry can fly in-game afaik. So it.s egg-layers, then.

ducks and geese can, just follow someone with a pet duck for a while
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: July 13, 2012, 01:27:53 pm »

it's the LAYS_EGGS tag that's interfering with auto-pasturing
Great to know.  Thank you for replying so rapidly.  I'll keep an eye out for any LAYS_EGGS that bucks the auto-pasturing trend, and report them for consistency sake to the Wiki.  So far, I can confirm just two.. Chicks and Goslings.  I wanna say Keets and Ducklings too, from previous games, but I cannot confirm them.  This fortress here, that I'm in, is releasing Chicks and Goslings into the wild, everytime they hatch.

I'm gonna lay down a 3x3 egg only, no barrel food stockpile, next to the nest boxes to try and prevent so many hatches.

Do you think this was intentional of Toady or an error?  Of all the offspring, I would imagine the egg types to be the least exploratory.  Kittens and Bear cubs, the most.  Maybe this has something to do with the Birds of Prey dynamic, that Toady left them escape for, eventually I guess they will escape upwards, into Eagle or Dragon whelp claws.  *shrug*  Knutor

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: July 13, 2012, 01:51:34 pm »

A friend of mine is beginning to play DF. He does not want to use tiles, but the color scheme of the game is hurting his eyes. Is there any way of customizing color schemes of the ASCII characters (aside from fiddling with his monitor)?

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: July 13, 2012, 01:53:11 pm »

First time playing 0.34.11, why won't any of my military dwarves put their gauntlets, high boots and helmets on?

They don't want to take off their cloth boots/mittens/caps/whatever and put the armor on, even when I individually assign them uniforms instead of just hitting the 'Metal Armor' preset. Even when I tell them to replace their current clothes with the armor instead of putting it on over top. The only way I can get them to put armor on is if their clothes wear out.

Is there a solution to this? I just upgraded from 34.10 -> 34.11 at long last, and unless there is, I'm going to have to go back. My militia commander refuses to wear anything other than a breastplate and greaves. No gauntlets, boots or helm. He claims them, in a sense: in the equipment screen, the telltale green mark appears next to "Metal Footwear" and such as soon as I make the relevant piece. He's just not actually putting it on.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: July 13, 2012, 01:57:43 pm »

A friend of mine is beginning to play DF. He does not want to use tiles, but the color scheme of the game is hurting his eyes. Is there any way of customizing color schemes of the ASCII characters (aside from fiddling with his monitor)?

Yes, by editing data/init/colors.txt and d_init.txt.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: July 13, 2012, 02:29:07 pm »

First time playing 0.34.11, why won't any of my military dwarves put their gauntlets, high boots and helmets on?

They don't want to take off their cloth boots/mittens/caps/whatever and put the armor on, even when I individually assign them uniforms instead of just hitting the 'Metal Armor' preset. Even when I tell them to replace their current clothes with the armor instead of putting it on over top. The only way I can get them to put armor on is if their clothes wear out.

Is there a solution to this? I just upgraded from 34.10 -> 34.11 at long last, and unless there is, I'm going to have to go back. My militia commander refuses to wear anything other than a breastplate and greaves. No gauntlets, boots or helm. He claims them, in a sense: in the equipment screen, the telltale green mark appears next to "Metal Footwear" and such as soon as I make the relevant piece. He's just not actually putting it on.

Kind of a long shot, but over what time period are you observing this?  Dwarves take their sweet time getting equipment sometimes.  Has he been stationed or been given a kill order yet?  Stationing helps sometimes in my experience, they'll actually go grab whatever they're assigned.

All of my experience is in .31.25 though, so the changes in .34.x might have made that irrelevant.

Edit: Alternatively, if it is a bug, Toady changed some clothing to be [SHAPED] I believe.  That includes caps I think, and maybe gloves.  If it remains a problem, you can try removing the [SHAPED] tags from the offending clothing and / or the permit sizes for the armor and see if it helps.  That won't get them to remove the clothing to put on the armor, but it will at least get the armor on the dwarves as a workaround for now.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 02:35:00 pm by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: July 13, 2012, 03:48:28 pm »

it's the LAYS_EGGS tag that's interfering with auto-pasturing
Great to know.  Thank you for replying so rapidly.  I'll keep an eye out for any LAYS_EGGS that bucks the auto-pasturing trend, and report them for consistency sake to the Wiki.  So far, I can confirm just two.. Chicks and Goslings.  I wanna say Keets and Ducklings too, from previous games, but I cannot confirm them.  This fortress here, that I'm in, is releasing Chicks and Goslings into the wild, everytime they hatch.

I'm gonna lay down a 3x3 egg only, no barrel food stockpile, next to the nest boxes to try and prevent so many hatches.

Do you think this was intentional of Toady or an error?  Of all the offspring, I would imagine the egg types to be the least exploratory.  Kittens and Bear cubs, the most.  Maybe this has something to do with the Birds of Prey dynamic, that Toady left them escape for, eventually I guess they will escape upwards, into Eagle or Dragon whelp claws.  *shrug*  Knutor

I think it's due to the mechanics being different: babies hatching from eggs, instead of being born directly to the mother. The code would probably end up slightly different, so it doesn't work for egg-layers yet.

And as a counterpoint, newly hatched alligators and crocodiles are on their own from hour 1. Also turtles etc. (There's lots more egg-layers than domestic poultry).

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: July 13, 2012, 03:50:35 pm »

The problem only appeared for me when upgrading from 34.10 to 34.11, so I'll look into the "Shaped" thing. Thanks. And I've tried giving them all sorts of orders, no dice.

Edit: Removing "Shaped" from the region1 raws has no effect. Embarked with dwarf with military skills, had a blacksmith smack together some armor quickly, squadded him up, ordered him around a bit... still nothing. He claims everything, but only wears the breastplate and the greaves.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 04:10:33 pm by Moonshadow101 »

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 422