Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881083 times)

backora900

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2580 on: July 10, 2012, 12:29:30 pm »

From the wiki
You may check how close you are to meeting the requirements for a monarch's arrival by pressing n -> c after you have a population of at least 140. This option does not appear on the Nobles screen before then.

Pressing c or C in the nobles screen does nothing for me. I only have about 90 dorfs, it's about as much as my hardware can handle (and yes, this is a miniature embark without temperature, weather, invaders etc.)

According to the wiki though my fortress exceeds all of the architecture, offerings etc requirements by multiples.

//edit Awwww :( well thanks anyways, I guess I'll have to try an embark with no caverns and a flatter landscape then.
Or you can have 140 dwarves and then reduce their number by "accident". Like a propper dwarf.
Or is is impossible to have so large population even for a short time?

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: July 10, 2012, 12:44:48 pm »

As to not resuscitate an old but great topic, I'll ask here about improved magma pump:
First, is it ok to transfer the energie from above the screw pump? I've not found the answser at the wiki, but I guess since stacks of pumps (%%) transfer energie vertically, it's ok?
(last floor of the stack)
(pump from south to north)
=====
=+++=
=+++=
=+++=
==%==
  % 

(floor above)
(with gear G)
=====
=...=
=...=
=...=
==G==

I guess a gear to the side is not safe, magma (+) would leak:
(last floor of the stack)
(gear transmitting but magma leak)
=====
=+++=
=+++=
=+++=
==%G=
  % 

The input part of the pump is not the right place to connect the gear:
(last floor)
(ineffective gear)
=====
=+++=
=+++=
=+++=
==%=
  %G 

Second question, since gears and pipes do not transmit through floor, there is no way to get a power transmittion from waterwheels on a broke outside and the pump stack inside without breach in security, so I'm planning to divert underground the water, get it safe with grate and whatever, and then build waterwheels underground. Is it the simplest way, and will my water retain its flow?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 12:47:26 pm by Argelle »
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

InfiniVide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: July 10, 2012, 01:10:18 pm »

Is there a good way of locating a particular person in a town?  I've been trying to locate this necromancer in a town but I'm wondering if there's a better way than going around and trying to talk to everyone.

peccan

• Bay Watcher
  • Ennen kuin pimeä tulee...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: July 10, 2012, 01:31:51 pm »

Is the HFS-related Fun Hole always exactly a
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 01:35:14 pm by peccan »

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: July 10, 2012, 02:34:14 pm »

Not sure on HFS.  Sorry.

Question:  I have been making slabs in 34.11, and it appears the ones I made before are being kept track of now.  This is a wonderful addition to DF fortress play, and in some way should be kept by the bookie noble.  Don't you think?  Well its nice the way it is, but a noble, or preacher should run the cemetery biz, or a gravedigger noble.  *wink @ Garath, I'm still hoping for a BBQ grilling noble* 

The problem I face, however, is I am noticing Dwarfcraft Stations, saying something clearly wrong.  No Slab Engraved, when in fact there is one engraved.  It should be saying, Nothing Entombed, for these slabs.  There is a slab, made, built, to Utokxuku.  It is r'd, resized as well as being built, except I didn't assign an owner, never do I assign owners on slabs, do you?  Are we supposed to, now?  No owner makes no difference on the ones being reported correctly, in the Dwarfcraft Stations. 

I'm wondering if you've seen this, and whether I should be reporting this error in syntax as a bug.  The Craftstation saying No Slab Engraved, when one is engraved.  It should say Nothing Entombed.  Thanks, Knutor
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 02:38:12 pm by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

g1real

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: July 10, 2012, 02:54:15 pm »

So as I am generating a new world I'm using this nifty feature called Zoom, zooming in and out with my mousewheel. For some reason it causes the world generation to speed up, specifically the mineral generation seems to go from 40 per second to like 120 per second (out of 2500)

What gives?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 02:56:59 pm by g1real »

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: July 10, 2012, 04:36:46 pm »

Dunno.  I remember downloading faster when I wiggled my old PS/2 mouse, back when I had a 2400 baud modem, plugged into a similar port/interrupt.  The hashmarks used to skip along faster, when I wiggled it.  But back then mouses didn't have wheels, just a rubber ball and two buttons for pcs, and one button for macs.  Those were the days.  HEH!

Wheel doesn't do anything here to improve game.  The game still freezes or craws on down to 1(0) FPS when making a Advanced Large Island world.  Kinda cool looking at it all while its being made however.  Thanks for writing that; I never knew I could zoom out like that.  Nifty shit!  Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

g1real

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: July 10, 2012, 06:13:20 pm »

Oh the trick is to zoom in and out without actually changing zoom scales. I guess on weaker CPUs the effect isn't noticable because it cant register your keys due to such low FPS (in this case: your mouse wheel up/down ticks)

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: July 10, 2012, 06:35:01 pm »

Why would a dwarf-trooper prefer to wield a knife as opposed to axes, spears, swords, or hammers?? I have one that just became a legendary knife user.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: July 10, 2012, 07:16:04 pm »

Why would a dwarf-trooper prefer to wield a knife as opposed to axes, spears, swords, or hammers?? I have one that just became a legendary knife user.
Probably has to do with the value of the knife relative to the value of the other weapons. What value do they all have? Does this dwarf have a preference for knives?

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: July 10, 2012, 07:24:59 pm »

Not even carrying a knife right now o_O  however she prefers wood and crossbows.... Oh well.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: July 10, 2012, 07:41:42 pm »

As to not resuscitate an old but great topic, I'll ask here about improved magma pump:
First, is it ok to transfer the energie from above the screw pump? I've not found the answser at the wiki, but I guess since stacks of pumps (%%) transfer energie vertically, it's ok?
Second question, since gears and pipes do not transmit through floor, there is no way to get a power transmittion from waterwheels on a broke outside and the pump stack inside without breach in security, so I'm planning to divert underground the water, get it safe with grate and whatever, and then build waterwheels underground. Is it the simplest way, and will my water retain its flow?

You can transfer power from above, transmitting to the non-passable square should work, at least. You can also transmit from the tile that the pump pumps from, like this:
g%%output area
However, if you do that, you can't have a grate/hatch cover in the space where the gear (g) is. Sides work, but will cause a magma leak. By the way, 3x3 reservoirs at each level are a bit much, maybe? 1x3 is enough to avoid the magma pump stack killing your fps.

The diverting sounds like an ok idea, but the water will have to flow somewhere (off the map through fortifications carved into the map edge wall, or out through caverns), or it'll just form a large cistern. And probably flood your fortress through the space where you've built the water wheels, axles, etc. The safest way to get power would be some sort of dwarven water reactor, though. Look them up on the wiki.

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: July 10, 2012, 10:31:08 pm »

Is there a central place to look at things that Toady is working on for future versions? I keep seeing mentions of current development plans scattered across the site and the forums. For example, when I checked out the June report, I learned about the "hero role" and "living worlds."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: July 11, 2012, 12:39:27 am »

Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: July 11, 2012, 01:38:59 am »

You can transfer power from above, transmitting to the non-passable square should work, at least. You can also transmit from the tile that the pump pumps from, like this:
g%%output area
However, if you do that, you can't have a grate/hatch cover in the space where the gear (g) is.

Thanks for your answer Snaake :)
Your idea of Dwarven Generator points me to nice reading, even if now I wonder if pumps would not generate power from everywhere! I was on my way to test it above ground in a "lab area", but dwarves are all busy suffocating from deadly dust  :'(

Quote from: wiki
Power can also be routed out of the reactor via a gear or horizontal axle over the pump's intake tile;
Note for the next fortress dwarfs engineers: test sideways, both tiles, test above, both tiles.

By the way, 3x3 reservoirs at each level are a bit much, maybe? 1x3 is enough to avoid the magma pump stack killing your fps.

I gather from the stack pump improvement that it's better (less worse) for the FPS as heat is less recalculated. I (start to) use the modified version with top to tail reservoir (z : reservoir north, Z-1: reservoir south, Z-2 : north etc..). Damn. I was SO proud when my squads finished the battle with the beast without one dead.
* sob *
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 422