Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 63

Author Topic: Bastard Paranormal 2 - Game Over!  (Read 187742 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Bastard Paranormal 2 - Third Rest Phase
« Reply #510 on: March 12, 2012, 07:32:34 pm »

Meph:  Could a dopp shift themselves as a day action to prove they're actually a dopp?   What about aliens dismissing whatever makes them look human?  Boxers or briefs?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 12, 2012, 07:37:47 pm »

If I can do that then sure I'll try SHIFTING.

There's no point in making a case now whoever said that.  I have the majority of votes and everybody thinks I'm obvscum when I'm not.  I've already reached a point where it's useless and I've already said as much as I can.

Bookthras needs to die though.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 12, 2012, 07:38:57 pm »

Also I hate how everybody is playing with mechanics with the mod but nobody accepts trying the no-lynch or lynching Bookthras.  :\

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 12, 2012, 07:41:02 pm »

That's kind of the point of my questions. To show that Meph may give an answer that appears relevant to the game but might not be.

Depending on his answers, it may apply to his statement about no lynching during Rest Phase 1.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 12, 2012, 07:42:04 pm »

That's good then.  I await with baited breath.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 12, 2012, 07:56:42 pm »

IronyOwl:
Nolynch instashortening tomorrow would be incredibly risky, but potentially a valid idea. More specifically, I'm wondering if maybe some sort of mad dash like that is the intended way to go about this. The only problem is that it'd require rooting out scum to be either impossible or not worth it.
I still think the nolynch is much too risky. The "bunch" comment is too ominous. Depending on Meph's answer regarding the rest duration, though, we may still try to vote someone like Dariush (the next scummiest in my mind), and shortening right away; or shortening after 24 hours so we have a chance to realistically catch a breather/rest a bit before starting to run again sooner than the captors expect it.

ToonyMan:
If I can do that then sure I'll try SHIFTING.
If that worked, the only thing it would prove is that you are in fact a dopp. Not exactly a reason not to lynch you, yes?

Also I hate how everybody is playing with mechanics with the mod but nobody accepts trying the no-lynch or lynching Bookthras.  :\
a) you still haven't said what lynching me would accomplish, beyond comparing some flavour; I ask you again, what would you learn from lynching me if the flavour is "sigh" instead of "oh noes!" or viceversa? Or how would it "buy time" when compared to lynching you?

b) According to Meph, he is not outright lying when he answers questions. He answered the question about the nolynch:
The whole idea behind leaving someone behind is for them to slow down your chasers so the rest of you escape. If you decide not to leave anyone behind, you are more likely to get a bunch of you caught. At least, that's what's happened so far during this escape.
It is, according to him, what we are able to deduce from our perspective. Is it 100% sure? probably not, but close enough that if we decide to nolynch, we are more likely to lose a bunch of people; at least, that's what's happened so far (i.e., our characters already tried that before the game started, and lost "a bunch" of people). Why would we try it again? Or do you think Meph lies when he states he won't outright lie?
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 12, 2012, 08:31:25 pm »

It was to be helpful Book, something you can't do hah!

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 12, 2012, 08:52:13 pm »

It was to be helpful Book, something you can't do hah!
Actually, you are right. Shifting to dopp form and leaving you behind, taken together with the shorten, may be the most helpful thing you've done:

You are a tough dopp! You agreed to stay behind willingly to guard the doors! We left the rest area way ahead of the captors! These three things together should prove much more effective at us making it through the run unscathed than just tossing Flandre over some boxes and locking the door on her.

Give them hell, Toony! Don't let them catch us! And thank you for being helpful!

PS: Meph: I really hope the factors above are taken into account as the success of our next run is being calculated. Please let us know if we are doing the right things.
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 12, 2012, 10:32:59 pm »

Probably because both are miserably stupid, at least for the reasons you've espoused.

Book:
I still think the nolynch is much too risky. The "bunch" comment is too ominous. Depending on Meph's answer regarding the rest duration, though, we may still try to vote someone like Dariush (the next scummiest in my mind), and shortening right away; or shortening after 24 hours so we have a chance to realistically catch a breather/rest a bit before starting to run again sooner than the captors expect it.
Maybe, but it's the only option we have that might affect something mechanicswise, and something flavor's possibly been hinting at.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 13, 2012, 01:08:28 am »

The Vote Tally
Bookthras: Toonyman
Toonyman: Bookthras, IronyOwl, Jim Groovester, GlyphGryph, Toaster, Urist Imiknorris, Zrk2
No Lynch: Dariush

Despite some rather fierce cursing at Bookthras, Toonyman still agrees to stay behind. As the rest of you rush off you see him grab some sort of forklift thing and jump into the seat. That's the last you see of him as your rush off through the corridors out of the storerooms.

Run phase has started! Send in your actions!

Meph: Does the length of the run phase have any impact on anything? No, that's more based on me and my schedule than anything else.
Meph: What's the average effective duration of the serum given to dopplegangers to curb their ravenous tendencies? You don't know.

Meph, if we take too short of a rest break, will the fatigue from continued running affect our escape chances? That seems likely, as you are stopping to rest for a reason.

Meph, if one of us has to go to the bathroom during a rest break, will that affect our escape chances? No, I assume that'd be them being quiet for a while.

Meph, if we do the hokey pokey and turn ourselves around, will that affect our escape chances? Dancing is unlikely to help you escape.

Meph:  Could a dopp shift themselves as a day action to prove they're actually a dopp?   What about aliens dismissing whatever makes them look human? No, that would break the normal Mafia mechanics.
  Boxers or briefs? I'll let you decide the kind of underwear you're wearing.

PS: Meph: I really hope the factors above are taken into account as the success of our next run is being calculated. Please let us know if we are doing the right things. If you haven't been captured, you must be doing something right.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 13, 2012, 01:42:55 am »

Meph, if we take too short of a rest break, will the fatigue from continued running affect our escape chances? That seems likely, as you are stopping to rest for a reason.

So if shortening helps our chances of escape, but shortening too much hurts our chances of escape, what are we supposed to do???

This more or less strengthens my feeling that Meph has been giving us answers that from a flavor perspective would seem to make sense but have no actual bearing on what happens during the game.

Meph:  Could a dopp shift themselves as a day action to prove they're actually a dopp?   What about aliens dismissing whatever makes them look human? No, that would break the normal Mafia mechanics.

This is a disappointingly meta answer.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Bastard Paranormal 2 - Third Run Phase
« Reply #521 on: March 13, 2012, 05:35:08 am »

If you haven't been captured, you must be doing something right.
I find this mildly disturbing from a nolynch perspective, even though I'm sure it was intended to be more vague than ominous.

This more or less strengthens my feeling that Meph has been giving us answers that from a flavor perspective would seem to make sense but have no actual bearing on what happens during the game.
Should be an easy way to test this: Ask about things that we know do or don't have an impact on the game but might not seem that way flavorwise.

Unfortunately, I'm having trouble coming up with a good matrix of questions for that, made worse by all the unknowns in this game.

Meph, are we likely to get hungry from all this running? Will hungry players have a more difficult time escaping pursuers?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 13, 2012, 06:58:47 am »

Book, so your idea of helping us win is... finding scum. Despite the lack of roleflips or the fact that we still saw no change from the beginning of the game. Also, what the fuck could have given you the idea of voting Meph?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 13, 2012, 10:51:12 am »

Meph, are we likely to get hungry from all this running? Will hungry players have a more difficult time escaping pursuers?

Nah, you escaped with some snacks. And while it's a long run, it's not taking days or anything like that.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 13, 2012, 12:12:21 pm »

Book, so your idea of helping us win is... finding scum. Despite the lack of roleflips or the fact that we still saw no change from the beginning of the game. Also, what the fuck could have given you the idea of voting Meph?
La-la-la, I can't hear you until you answer my fucking questiooooon.

I won't answer your questions until you answer mine. I demand the fucking answer.

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 63