Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 63

Author Topic: Bastard Paranormal 2 - Game Over!  (Read 187760 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Bastard Paranormal 2 - Third Rest Phase
« Reply #495 on: March 12, 2012, 03:43:21 pm »

I hope you guys lynch Bookthras before the game ends.  Whatever, this is my resignation from the game since turn-abouting this is one RL day is simply impossible and honestly you all hate me for being too cool.  D:

Meph, I am agreeing to my lynch as willingly as possible.

Now, since my goal is to escape on the ship we can put a rest to this flavor thing at least.  That's the last I can help with.  Good-byyyeeeeeeee  I feel stupid for not being as helpful but I'm still town dammit!!!

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 12, 2012, 03:44:43 pm »

Moderator: can we trust you are not outright lying to us with vote counts, roles, flavour, and answers to questions on thread?

You're being actively hunted, so taking less time to rest might help you elude capture.
Dude, this is beautiful. We should have asked earlier. Shorten.

Dariush:
Are you aware that if we continue the current course of action, no people will remain until the game end? What do you think we should do to make someone survive? I won't answer your questions until you answer mine. I demand the fucking answer.
As has been pointed out to you, that is not necessarily the case. Still, I think the best thing we can do to make sure someone survives is to find those amongst us who are working against the escape, and lynch them. But there may be other ways; thinking outside the box is encouraged. No-lynching, though, is not one of them, due to the "bunch" thing. Do you have any other ideas? I don't at the moment, but if I think of one, I'll bring it up.

Your turn: I answered your question, so you answer mine. I demand the fucking answer:

For starters, if more than one guy dies during the night, we're down six or more players, none of which seemed to be anti-escape; how close do you think we'd be to losing the game by then? Do you think you'd have enough time to use your new knowledge of "oh, apparently, someone is indeed out to get us"? How would you use it?

GG:
Uh, why did you point out the distinction between 'get on the ship' and 'escape'? Do you have any reason to believe those two goals aren't the same?
I do.
Can you elaborate? What are those reasons?

Didn't someone other than tolyk claim his "someone wins" condition?
As Toaster said, that was me. As close to verbatim as reasonably possible, my goal is for at least one person to escape on the ship. At the time I assumed this was the standard, common "town" win condition (I win if town makes it, even if I'm dead), and was surprised by the large number of claimed survivors, though I still suspect some of those are fakeclaimers that just went with the flow.

My thoughts on the town/survivor/scum/dopp/xeno thing:

I think it's reasonable to say the survivors are town; sure, they win individually, but their goal is for the escape to succeed. This, rather weirdly, seems to include at least some of the dopps, though I expect they have an additional wrinkle to their wincon they haven't claimed (like eating the shipboard humans or the like, or some team win condition), and I still think they will get hungry at some point.

The real scum, however, are those who are trying to prevent the escape. They are the ones targeting pilots, and the ones we should make sure are not amongst those who make it to the ship. They may be aliens, or they may be dopp/human "collaborators" or somesuch. While we should make efforts to lynch the dopps (so they don't eat us), we should spend more thought getting rid of the infiltrators as well (these groups may overlap).

I'm absolutely fine with lynching Toony, for being a dopp, and for his plans being sufficiently anti-escape to be considered part of that collaborator group. We have, however, another perfectly good candidate to lynch tomorrow. Independently of his race, he is definitely working against the success of the escape:
But won't we collapse from exhaustion if we don't rest?
Dariush, please soak your neck in warm water to get it ready for tomorrow, so the rope bites deeper.
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 12, 2012, 03:45:32 pm »

No.  Everybody kill Bookthras.  Die die die diediedie

DIE DIE DIE DIE

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 12, 2012, 03:53:54 pm »

Toony, since you're going down, can you at least make, ya'know, a case?

It might actually do you well to do so at this point, maybe you'll still get revenge.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 12, 2012, 04:14:40 pm »

No.  Everybody kill Bookthras.  Die die die diediedie

DIE DIE DIE DIE

I love you too, Toony. We'll miss you.
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: March 12, 2012, 04:38:23 pm »

By my count, one more Shorten is needed if we are to take advantage of that "help you elude capture" thing, and we have two hours to do it. We should do it.

Toony, before you go, you have this one more chance to be helpful: please shorten. Also Jim, are you in favour of testing this? If so, please shorten.

And we have a bunch of lurkers that should show up and shorten too: IronyOwl, Zrk2 & Shakerag, for example, have been awfully quiet. Dudes: please shorten, and give us your thoughts if you can.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 12, 2012, 04:39:33 pm »

Moderator: can we trust you are not outright lying to us with vote counts, roles, flavour, and answers to questions on thread?

I will not lie about vote counts or to you in your role PMs. Anything flavor related will not be a lie, although you may not have enough information to be given the full truth of the matter. All flavor information is done from the perspective of who you are and what you guys know or could deduce.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 12, 2012, 04:47:39 pm »

Meph - do we have the ability to do things through flavour beyond what is immediately offered, mechanically? For example:
Could someone volunteer to stay behind instead of needing to be lynched?
Could I look around/keep an eye out for any useful objects, since we're in supply rooms? Maybe weapons or something?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 12, 2012, 04:54:34 pm »

Also, Book, my reasons were based around people wondering if "making it to the ship" was enough, early on during day 1, and that being followed by a few people claiming their wincon as "make it to the ship" - a wincon that immediately changed to "escape" as soon as it became clear that "escape" was the wincon most people had.

And I consider your wincon a town wincon, truth be told. Because let's be honest, the rest of us aren't a real town - as survivors, we DO NOT win if the other survivors win. Mechanically, we have every incentive to increase our own personal chances for victory even at the expense of the other players. It is never worth sacrificing ourselves or reducing our own chance of getting to the end for the good of the group. That is not a town state.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 12, 2012, 05:05:06 pm »

Meph - do we have the ability to do things through flavour beyond what is immediately offered, mechanically?

That's a really good question, another we should have asked way back in D1. Which gave me an idea for another. Since Toony has enough votes to hang even without mine: Unvote.

Vote Mephansteras.

Mod: votecount, please.

Regarding the wincon thing, I mostly agree, and it is true that there was some claiming confusion between "to the ship" and "escape"; part of that is probably paraphrasing to avoid quoting the mod, but it strengthens my belief that a number of "survivors" are fakeclaiming.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 12, 2012, 05:08:07 pm »

The Vote Tally
Bookthras: Toonyman
Toonyman: Bookthras, IronyOwl, Jim Groovester, Toaster, Urist Imiknorris, Zrk2
No Lynch: Dariush

Run Phase ends ~5pm Pacific Tuesday. 5 votes to Shorten the phase. 6 total votes needed to Shorten.

Meph - do we have the ability to do things through flavour beyond what is immediately offered, mechanically? For example:
Could someone volunteer to stay behind instead of needing to be lynched?
Could I look around/keep an eye out for any useful objects, since we're in supply rooms? Maybe weapons or something?

Any such actions would be for flavor purposes only, only actions that are mechanically significant in a Mafia game will produce any real results.

Voting for me counts as a non-vote.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 12, 2012, 05:12:24 pm »

Well, was worth a shot. I'm back to ToonyMan then. Thanks for answering.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 12, 2012, 07:16:28 pm »

Well. This is interesting.

Shorten. Nolynch instashortening tomorrow would be incredibly risky, but potentially a valid idea.

More specifically, I'm wondering if maybe some sort of mad dash like that is the intended way to go about this. The only problem is that it'd require rooting out scum to be either impossible or not worth it.

The first case would require scum to either not exist or not be stopped by being lynched. I kind of doubt they'd be lynch immune/infiniressers, so they'd need to either be able to strike from beyond the grave somehow or have some sort of preset list that keeps going off. Potentially the targets could also be preset, ie every player gets a role and hidden capture order to go along with it, so we're supposed to dash across to the ship so they have less time to burn through the list, but the game wouldn't really be mafia at that point, so I doubt it.

The second would require that they deal with themselves somehow, similar to how the dopp serum might run out at some point. I don't really see that as likely, especially since it'd have to hold true whether we lynch flawlessly or miserably.

Another thought that's occurred to me: Day length may have an impact on certain things. Does night length have an impact? He said it'd finish when everyone's actions are in, so assuming we've got any power roles it might be something we could affect.

Meph: Does the length of the run phase have any impact on anything?

Book:
Dudes: please shorten, and give us your thoughts if you can.
Yeah, sorry. Aside from game mechanics, Toony is obvscum; his reasons are terrible and keep changing, so the only thing he really seems to care about is pushing a not-him lynch through.

Dariush I'm less certain of. His reasons are also terrible but not changing so much, and I couldn't swear he's acting worse than usual.

Back to game mechanics, I'm torn between testing something out and not getting us all captured again. It definitely seems like there might be some room to manipulate things, but they all require not lynching scum, which doesn't sound very productive.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 12, 2012, 07:23:22 pm »

Also Jim, are you in favour of testing this? If so, please shorten.

Sure. Shorten.

Shortening might improve our chances with the impersonal security team, but I don't think it will provide us much protection from internal threats.

But I'm starting to think that Meph will give an answer to any question we have for him without his answer necessarily affecting anything in the game. Just for fun:

Meph, if we take too short of a rest break, will the fatigue from continued running affect our escape chances?

Meph, if one of us has to go to the bathroom during a rest break, will that affect our escape chances?

Meph, if we do the hokey pokey and turn ourselves around, will that affect our escape chances?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 12, 2012, 07:26:29 pm »

Meph: What's the average effective duration of the serum given to dopplegangers to curb their ravenous tendencies?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 63