Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373733 times)

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1710 on: October 06, 2012, 03:33:39 pm »

I just got my first ever win. Using the primary rock cruiser on normal. The combination of fire bomb and a teleporting rock strike team carried me through the game. I was collecting obscene amounts of scrap thanks to boarding every ship I encountered and a scrap arm.  Pumping all the scrap into defensive upgrades helped me waste little on repairs. A Glaive beam I picked up early proved invaluable in the Boss fight which proved to be more of a challenge to my pimped out ship than I had anticipated. The final blow landed when my hull was critical and boarding drones killed almost half of my crew.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: October 06, 2012, 03:44:50 pm »

I just had a victory run with the stealth ship where I had to use a mantis boarding party to kill everyone. It was pretty hectic.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: October 06, 2012, 03:49:22 pm »

Spoiler: Dammit. (click to show/hide)

The Engi Cruiser A is an amazing ship.

Its not bad... but you need to find some real weapons along the way.

I did have real weapons. I had a Halberd Beam in my inventory. I passed it up in favor of using the Fire Beam and the Anti-Bio Beam because they were more fun.

That's the sort of run I was having.

One thing I learned on that run: if the crew of an enemy ship is injured and you disable their medbay with ion weapons, they will patiently wait in there doing nothing while you do other things, like light every room on fire, wreck every system with boarders to train them, watch as the ship drains of oxygen, and laugh at all the fun you're having.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1713 on: October 06, 2012, 03:52:49 pm »

A single ion gun is never going to pierce shields fast enough to let you use beam weapons on the boss. If you had a missile or one of the bigger burst lasers, instead of a second beam, it would have worked out a lot better.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: October 06, 2012, 04:13:49 pm »

Man, I had the best run ever going.  Sadly, I only brought missiles against the final boss, and didn't notice that I was low on them.  Ran out, his super shields came up to block my teleporter, and had no way to inflict any damage.  I lost the game, but got 500 score above my last highest.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: October 06, 2012, 04:14:50 pm »

What about Ion Burst II? That tends to work fast enough on everything else.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: October 06, 2012, 04:48:02 pm »

What about Ion Burst II? That tends to work fast enough on everything else.

The problem with the Ion Burst II is that if you miss one shot, the ion effect wears off and you have to start wearing down the shields all over again.
Also often called Boowells.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: October 06, 2012, 05:32:03 pm »

Arg, just got to the flagship again, with the Crystal ship this time. My main method of attack was using a Crystal and a Mantis to teleport over and kill their crew, but that didn't work against the flagship because after I'd taken out their weapons they would just use their cloaking to stop me from getting my crew back out of the flagship and I ended up losing both of my warriors.

I'm gonna go for some cheevos in the Zoltan ship I guess.

teleport them into the weapon rooms. target the missile room first. they only have one crewmember inside them, so you can easily disable them.

Yeah, I started just using the teleporter room mainly for the boss simply because it can take out that damn missile room. That room always gets destroyed first. Then the ion cannon. The superweapons can be handled easily once the tri-shot weapons are dead.
Also often called Boowells.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: October 06, 2012, 05:43:27 pm »

Arg, just got to the flagship again, with the Crystal ship this time. My main method of attack was using a Crystal and a Mantis to teleport over and kill their crew, but that didn't work against the flagship because after I'd taken out their weapons they would just use their cloaking to stop me from getting my crew back out of the flagship and I ended up losing both of my warriors.

I'm gonna go for some cheevos in the Zoltan ship I guess.

teleport them into the weapon rooms. target the missile room first. they only have one crewmember inside them, so you can easily disable them.
I did that, I could have taken down that form of the flagship without a problem because they were only firing ion bursts but the next one would have failed because I had no way of disabling the weapons while stopping myself from dying. I ragequitted
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: October 06, 2012, 06:04:17 pm »

I'd... not sure exactly how you were losing your warriors, still. They should of contentedly sat there until the cloaking ended and you brought them back.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: October 06, 2012, 06:15:54 pm »

He teleported them onto the main ship I guess, and they couldn't run around and dodge because of the doors, and he couldn't retrieve them in time due to the cloaking.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: October 06, 2012, 09:44:43 pm »

I had a weird case of WTF moment.
I sent two guys, a Mantis and a Human to clear out a Fake Engi ship (manned by Mantis and Engi). I took down the Engi with ease but when it came to the Mantis he seemed to just hit harder then a Double Star Mantis of my own, he killed my Mantis which had 16hp in two hits and then my Human with 10 in one.
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: October 06, 2012, 09:54:12 pm »

He teleported them onto the main ship I guess, and they couldn't run around and dodge because of the doors, and he couldn't retrieve them in time due to the cloaking.

Ah! The damn doors! I forgot about those once and lost a boarder the same way. Once I'm done with the weapons, I actually go for the doors first now (and if I have a crystal man, I guarantee I break them) if I've got reason to worry. Combined with the cloaking it can certainly make for a nasty surprise.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: October 06, 2012, 11:38:11 pm »

Lost with the stealth ship again :/  This thing, I swear... can't kill anything.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: October 06, 2012, 11:45:22 pm »

Lost with the stealth ship again :/  This thing, I swear... can't kill anything.
Did you read my Suggestion a couple of pages back???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 243