Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373730 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1680 on: October 05, 2012, 03:54:26 pm »

The teleporter and cloak lock up energy if you use them, so there is that. And you really don't want to have only 50% oxy left when someone lights a fire in your life support room.
They do, but unless they're recharging or you want them right this instant you can just take the energy out.  In a situation like that with the life support room you could probably handle it with medbay use.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: October 05, 2012, 05:50:40 pm »

My idea for overcharging: A system can be overcharged by up to four bars or the half the current maximum rounded up, whichever is less (so you can't have a level one weapon room overcharged with a Burst Laser mk III, for example). While overcharged, it receives the appropriate benefit (an increased heal rate for medbay, for example). However, while overcharged by n bars, it takes damage as though it is under attack by n units. Further, while overcharged it cannot be repaired at all.

Second idea: this would be something unique to a ship, similar to the Fed Cruiser artillery beam. A system, upgradeable to a maximum of 5 units. You can spend a unit of fuel to increase your reactor's output by 1 energy bar until the next time you jump.

Third idea: Another one-ship thing. The ship has, instead of one single weapons room, three or five single-weapon rooms, like the flagship but connected to the rest of the ship. Each of these is separately manned, and the first one is powered separately as well, though manning weapons gives a better-than normal benefit on the secondary weapons. The first weapon room is limited to laser or missile weapons, but gives a bonus, depending on the weapon. Heavy Laser, Mk I and II would do three damage apiece. Heavy Pierce and the Crystal lasers would pierce an extra layer of shields, Heavy Ion would do 4 Ion damage, Burst Lasers and the Pegasus missile launcher would have a larger volley size, etc.

Idea the Fourth: The Texas Theory of Warfare: Make it Bigger: Capital Ships. In a new campaign set some time after the events of the first, you are commanding a Federation dreadnought in an assault on a hostile enemy.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: October 05, 2012, 07:34:34 pm »

I like all of those ideas. A shame the game isn't more easily moddable in those sorts of ways. (Though someone IS rebuilding it in a different language)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: October 05, 2012, 08:34:04 pm »

I've been playing this game too much. I was playing Empire Total War today, and kept hitting the spacebar to try and pause the action :P

Also, how the heck do you get that Zolton achievement for having 29 energy? I maxed out the reactor upgrades and had four Zolton crew on board. Last I checked, that adds up to 29. So why no unlock? Earning that would have given me the B layout T_T
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: October 05, 2012, 08:36:44 pm »

Was one of them driving? They need to be in a room where they add power to the room.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: October 05, 2012, 08:39:27 pm »

Yes, but I thought about that and moved him/her/it. No dice. I even left him there when I jumped to a new sector, no luck.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: October 05, 2012, 08:42:43 pm »

You were using all 29 power, I presume?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: October 05, 2012, 08:44:08 pm »

No. I didn't have enough scrap to upgrade enough systems before I died <_<;

That's kinda a crappy trick to pull. The cheevo description just says that you need 29 power. Doesn't say it all has to be used!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: October 05, 2012, 08:45:17 pm »

I'm just grasping at straws here, but that might've been it.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: October 05, 2012, 09:18:50 pm »

Yeah, that caught me too, and is the reason I didn't beat the game with that playthrough despite being capable of it - I ended up ignoring the final form of the ship to go off on a mission to collect more scrap and upgrade another system.

I didn't realize it at first either, but the achievement DOES specifically say "in systems"
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 09:20:21 pm by GlyphGryph »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1690 on: October 05, 2012, 09:22:30 pm »

Ive discovered a safe way to train zoltans for combat. At level 3, a teleporter recharges just before a zoltan can asphyxiate in a vacuum. So you can use them to board auto scouts and level them up by destroying systems on scouts that cant get through your shields. Note that you don't want to transport 2 zoltans at once. That leaves only 1 energy in the transporter and both will suffocate.

I now have a crewman with all skills gold. He is arock crewman named Teldarin. He was the first of many slaves that my slug ship has liberated, at the cost of half the slug ships crew. And while several of his fellows have fallen over the campaign, he lives on as an inspiration to his people.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 09:29:37 pm by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: October 05, 2012, 09:29:50 pm »

Out of curiosity why would you need a Zoltan with combat skills? I don't think combat skills help them survive fires or missiles anymore. Unless it's for an achievement for the Zoltan vessel which I still have yet to unlock...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: October 05, 2012, 09:34:12 pm »

So you can use them as part of your boarding party, duh. :P

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: October 05, 2012, 09:34:32 pm »

To have them not die quite as badly in combat.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: October 05, 2012, 11:04:13 pm »

God damn it I fucking hate the artillery beam. I really, really wish you could actually choose to fire it like with other weapons.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 243