Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 372665 times)

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2012, 09:20:33 pm »

Spare me your indignation. This has nothing to do with race but human beings in general.
Had you elaborated on your point a bit I may have understood what you meant, but your original post seemed to indicate that them being based in china was what made you uncomfortable.

Regardless I doubt they'd go to all the trouble of making a working demo and gameplay movies just to swipe a bit of cash from you.

I have no personal problem with the people behind FTL. They've already delivered more (including a demo) than a lot of other funded games have. I'll probably buy it, when it comes out. I'm just trying to raise a little caution here since this forum seems to very, very pro Kickstarter.
But to say what they've done is worth $200,000 already? I really don't think so.... making mockups and demos is really easy (see: Duke Nukem Forever) and shouldn't necessarily imply a whole lot of effort has been expended.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2012, 09:47:12 pm »

Games cost less than they earn to develop? Well yah, that's why people keep doing it. It's profitable. If it was not, there wouldn't be a games industry. Remember that this $200,000 also counts as preorders, and that there has been a lot of manhours by highly skilled professionals already put into this project.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2012, 01:19:44 am »

But to say what they've done is worth $200,000 already? I really don't think so....

its not...not at all

What they have done is worth about $20...just so happens that 9800 people feel its worth that same $20 (average) on an individual basis.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2012, 07:49:12 am »

But to say what they've done is worth $200,000 already? I really don't think so.... making mockups and demos is really easy (see: Duke Nukem Forever) and shouldn't necessarily imply a whole lot of effort has been expended.

this is exactly what kickstarter is all about: you have an idea, of wich we have no proof you can actually complete; you have to proof you're able to reach the goal, by demo, design documents, project plans, etc: demonstrating that you have a solid project isn't that easy.

we judge on the idea. we are donors. there are some implied promises with larger donations, but ultimately this is not investor money, is more like venture capital

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2012, 07:11:46 am »

A new gameplay video has been posted!
http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=209

This game looks awesome, I should've donated when I could :(

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2012, 02:28:56 pm »

Spoiler: advertisement (click to show/hide)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2012, 03:18:50 pm »

Kind of inappropriate don't you think?

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2012, 03:20:39 pm »

Star Command seems like a fairly different thing. More in common with X-com on the combat side (grid and turn-based)

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2012, 04:14:24 pm »

I will most likely buy it once it's done as it looks like it can be fun but for now I'm just going to wait and see ;)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2012, 04:18:14 pm »

Also, the last two Star Command games were pretty terrible. ;)

This game, on the other hand, looks pretty cool. Someone mentioned strange adventures in infinite space previously, and it does sort of remind me of a mix between that and... Starsiege, actually. The way the ships work, damage to targeted sections, repair, weapons system, that sort of stuff. Actually, I'm pretty sure there's even a better example somewhere in my memory, but I can't quite pull it out.

Regardless, does it actually /play/ anything like Strange Adventures? (cause if so, I want)

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 13, 2012, 12:25:57 pm »

Hey, guys. The developers announced that the beta starts within the next 48 hours.

Woo!
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 13, 2012, 01:03:06 pm »

I am a cheapo backer do no beta to me  :-[

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 13, 2012, 07:06:57 pm »

Contract law is the same regardless in which country the offender lives in. When they sign the contract agreement with kickstarter they are liable to keep their obligations. In fact the US and China have a good history of business law enforcement partnership. It is in both nation's interest to maintain the status quo. I would be more concerned with certain South American or countries that have consistently refuted international business practices.

I would also like to point out that your post did indeed appear to imply dishonesty because the company was based in China. I understand it was not your intention, but you can see how it drew offense I hope.

A little late, but contracts in China definitely aren't very well policed. I work in China and I've seen Chinese businesses playing very fast and loose with contracts, usually to my detriment or a friend's. This place is quite lawless at times, actually. No one in the government cares much about transparent rule of law. If you have a friend in the government, things get done; otherwise they don't.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 14, 2012, 07:25:26 am »

ATTN: Just got my key. The Beta is now live. Time to download this awesomeness.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #119 on: June 14, 2012, 07:34:16 am »

ATTN: Just got my key. The Beta is now live. Time to download this awesomeness.
same. I'll probably do a video of a playthough tonight.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 243