Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 54

Author Topic: Got a neeto idea (want in?)  (Read 64089 times)

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Got a neeto idea (want in?)
« Reply #675 on: February 19, 2012, 06:24:19 pm »

I've always felt anything bigger than medium was too large. I mean seriously, has anyone here ever even come close to cleaning out a large world? That'd take weeks, maybe even months of dedicated playing. And in all the time I've spent in adventure mode since I first found out about DF 3 years ago, I've killed no more than 50 beasts in my entire career. 1000 in one world would be straight up stupid; hell, even 300 (150 after worldgen) is still ridiculous. We'd want our accomplishments in the world to actually mean something. Especially in a world where most of our attention would be given to dwarf ruins. To each his own.

We don't really need playable animalmen IMO, but if you want to compromise by getting rid of a bunch of them, that's fine. There are too many in the new version as it is :P
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: February 19, 2012, 06:44:18 pm »

That was the compromise, actually. Everything generating errors had to go (well, serious errors...)

And ye, I doubt anyone has actually interracted with any notable portion of a large world or killed many megabeasts, but what we're asking for here is an enormous number of fortresses that may do just that.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: February 19, 2012, 10:07:12 pm »

Sadly, there were no towers in that smaller region.

I'm going to be exceptionally lazy and just import the raws I cooked up for 34.01 into 34.02. I even went to such great lengths as to restore all the words from the language files that Toady removed, which was basically everything from the untoward category.

If anyone remembers what utility it was that lets you compare and contrast two mods to speed it up/ensure that I'm not responsible for horrible game-breaking anarchic bugs, that would be great.

DF Mod Manager does that - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=74828.0

Put one set of RAWs into the default folder, and then load up the 2nd set.  It will highlight the differences.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Feb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: February 19, 2012, 11:55:19 pm »

I've always felt anything bigger than medium was too large. I mean seriously, has anyone here ever even come close to cleaning out a large world? That'd take weeks, maybe even months of dedicated playing. And in all the time I've spent in adventure mode since I first found out about DF 3 years ago, I've killed no more than 50 beasts in my entire career. 1000 in one world would be straight up stupid; hell, even 300 (150 after worldgen) is still ridiculous. We'd want our accomplishments in the world to actually mean something. Especially in a world where most of our attention would be given to dwarf ruins. To each his own.

We don't really need playable animalmen IMO, but if you want to compromise by getting rid of a bunch of them, that's fine. There are too many in the new version as it is :P

I'm not sure about you, but it's not that hard to empty the world of 1000 beasts.
Average titans/beasts per player 2-5 (I never managed to get past year 2 in my 2010 games on my machines due to crashes, so it can be more, the one game I played at my friend place that hit year 5, I managed to pittrapped a mountain titan, 2 FB, killed an ettin and had one FB wandering one of the caverns).
In DFVD, culling of titans/beasts at world gen, depending on world setting:  high forest, high grassland, more good tiles, more neutral tiles tends to kill them faster as well as lower pop/wealth/export req. for attacks.  Yes, they die to freaking ELVES and their pointy sticks.  If I recall correctly, one of the world gen I made with 80% kill-end was at ~year 100 on one of the "peaceful" settings (I think 50 or so civ), that was with 250 or so titans and 50/100 mega/semimega caves.  That's 400 total, 20% of which is 80, assuming that it's 2 a piece, that would be gone easily before 40 players' turns, and that's the conservative number.  If we want 200+ history, we'd need more so that they can survive the world gen.  They tend to survive better on high tundra/glacier/evil worlds since they don't easily bump into any civs - elves need non-evil forest regions (forgot about savage levels), dwarves need non-savage, non-evil mountain, humans can start from any non-mountain, non-glacier, non-evil region (could be missing a few more, they were everywhere). 

tl;dr  We need stupid amount of titans/beasts if we want enough to survive world gen AND enough for all the players interested.       

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: February 20, 2012, 05:02:25 am »

Also, since invaders are taken from the gen, and there are a finite number, there might be a danger of depleting the Goblin/Dwarven Civs of their inhabitants. In past forts I've had, I started running out of goblin corpse storage in the second year. That's hundreds and hundreds of goblin dead in a period of 4-5 years. We might want to consider the supply there, unless new goblins are genned after worldgen. I really don't know what I'm talking about, though.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: February 20, 2012, 05:10:02 am »

^ In the final prototype, there will be at least 6 different goblin civilizations spread across the entire world, each with well over 500 inhabitants. Even if the players are super hardcore and one of the gobbo civs gets annihilated over the course of several turns, there will still be 5 more left. Edit: Actually, I do believe invaders are still spontaneously generated.

Forgotten beasts are not factored into the advanced world gen parameters, and their population doesn't really matter anyway since they cannot be encountered in adventure mode outside of player-made fortresses. Although I do see your point.

Not going to upload the test world save Blank? How about a picture then? I'm curious how the micro-size prototype looks.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 05:30:36 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Feb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: February 20, 2012, 02:01:02 pm »

Ah, you are right, FB aren't related to world, I was thinking Bronze colossus, Dragon, Hydra, Roc, etc..  So just replace my FB example with those guys :P  None the less, I want at least one of these buggers in my fortress as a surprise (artificial lair in short). 

Dorf see a candy amulet!
Dorf stepped on pressure plate on route to amulet!
A Dragon descents from the opened floodgate!

Etc...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: February 20, 2012, 05:33:56 pm »

^ In the final prototype, there will be at least 6 different goblin civilizations spread across the entire world, each with well over 500 inhabitants. Even if the players are super hardcore and one of the gobbo civs gets annihilated over the course of several turns, there will still be 5 more left. Edit: Actually, I do believe invaders are still spontaneously generated.

Forgotten beasts are not factored into the advanced world gen parameters, and their population doesn't really matter anyway since they cannot be encountered in adventure mode outside of player-made fortresses. Although I do see your point.

Not going to upload the test world save Blank? How about a picture then? I'm curious how the micro-size prototype looks.

Sorry, my computer committed suicide and refused to start until just a few minutes ago, so I couldn't upload anything :\

I'll get right on it, though.

Here's an image of the small world I just genned for testing. No idea why full scale testing is a bad thing...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And here's the uploaded file.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 07:24:57 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: February 22, 2012, 08:15:52 pm »

I meant the one you did in 34.01, but this'll do :P

There are Upright Adamantine Weapons in this one, so we were right about the cavern layer thingy.

Map's still way too deep to be convenient; it went all the way down 138 z-levels (or 73 at the lowest point) on a typical forest embark, and over 200 from the top of a cliff embark. Not quite as deep as the last test world, but I'd rather not go through that kind of tedium again. We want to be able to get as much done as possible on our limited runs.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 11:13:28 pm by Spish »

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: February 23, 2012, 08:43:47 am »

Just posting to get notifications about this- looks like you're pretty full-up.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: February 23, 2012, 08:50:49 am »

When will this start?
I wont participate, but it looks epic, but mayby you should make a new thread, also, i dont get the modding that youre doing for this.
can anybody explain whats been done and whats going to be done?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: February 23, 2012, 01:00:09 pm »

I'd fully anticipate the game to be playable after this next release, and someone would be starting a thread for it in the community games section. :D

The only mods right now are permitting players in fortress mode to play as any of the civilizations (except kobolds, becuase kobolds live in caves and the game hates caves...) and for adventure mode where you can play as most species of animalmen, including those found in the caverns or in creature_standard.txt. Elves also needed a way to collect wood besides woodcutting (which I let them do anyway because not everyone will remember to bring wood on embark.) and only mine if you bring picks with you, so they got a 'giving tree' that makes wood. Adventurers of the non-standard races can also make some basic clothing and armor (including backpacks) for themselves from leather or bone, and fortresss mode players get a new stone type that melts not too far above room temperature, which makes it good for traps and storing items in a display pedestal that is coupled to it.
There are no new creatures (but animalmen had to be duplicated to prevent wild populations from dissappearing.) or new anything else besides the stone and buildings for it and producing wood for elves.
I make Spellcrafts!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: February 23, 2012, 01:53:23 pm »

Are you still adding people to the list, or is the list in the OP closed?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: February 23, 2012, 03:02:01 pm »

list is still open.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: February 23, 2012, 03:30:09 pm »

Great - you wouldn't mind adding me to the list, would you? I'd love to take part in this. :)
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 54