Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 529 530 [531] 532 533 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958931 times)

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #7950 on: February 17, 2014, 08:26:52 pm »

But then you'd have everything for the X-Box.

For a one-trick pony like XCOM, I don't see that as a problem. I prefer to reserve heavy investment for games worth modding, i.e. sandbox RPGs.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7951 on: February 17, 2014, 08:37:19 pm »

Yeah, I would recommend the XBOX version too if it was actually that cheap. I don't know, so I'll assume he's correct with the price and features.

You can barely mod the PC version, so there's no real advantage to it other than it's on PC so you can use a mouse. Which to be fair... isn't that big of an advantage given how console-y the UI is.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7952 on: February 17, 2014, 09:23:21 pm »

Nah, I think the point being made here is "you need an Xbox to play the Xbox version - and not everyone has an Xbox"..
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7953 on: February 17, 2014, 10:57:31 pm »

And a television.

I have neither, and laptops are way more portable.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7954 on: February 18, 2014, 12:18:23 am »

Also (if you're so inclined) multiplayer without subscription fees.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7955 on: February 20, 2014, 11:30:28 am »

Oh man. So I've been trying to see if I got the game nicely balanced in my latest playthrough and while it was the most fun playthrough yet, it seems I just made it way to difficult.  :-X

I decided on a Europe start and just invest heavily into workshops and labs to get the research going and produce items cheaply, but in doing so I had nothing left to invest into getting more sats. My tech might have been to par but I couldn't afford enough troops or get my officer training school built and upgrading my squad size. I was starting to get some real good soldiers here and there to, but they simply got overwhelmed. :(
Spoiler: Barracks (click to show/hide)

My finances just got competely stuck as well. All my income went into maintenance just to fund my engineer and science team, to the point where I couldn't afford much else. Meanwhile exalt bleeding me dry of what little cash I did have while I couldn't fight back due to not having enough soldiers. Panic slowly globally rising due to not being able to carry out all missions as they came in, while exalt had pretty much free reign to cause more panic.
Spoiler: Finances (click to show/hide)

So many tough calls to make though, love it. Just to bad I couldn't keep up with the rising tide. Might have to increase base funding just a touch.

As a last thought, I think I also overdid the panic missions a little bit.
Spoiler: Chryssalids errywhere (click to show/hide)
That's what you get when the AI can and will use every unit it has on the field, and every civilian killed by a chryssalid offscreen will always turn into a zombie. Full blown infestation if you don't curb it fast enough. :D

And since I'm posting images anyway, damn I should have checked out all these customization option earlier, my soldiers look badass.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7956 on: February 20, 2014, 01:11:57 pm »

That reminds me, I really need to download the mod that lets Gene soldiers use the regular armor looks. They really should have made the sleeveless look an optional extra for gene soldiers rather than the only option. 12 different pauldrons and kneepads is not a decent substitute!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7957 on: February 20, 2014, 01:17:27 pm »

That reminds me, I really need to download the mod that lets Gene soldiers use the regular armor looks. They really should have made the sleeveless look an optional extra for gene soldiers rather than the only option. 12 different pauldrons and kneepads is not a decent substitute!
Yeah, that was something of a letdown. Titan armor on genemodders looks ridiculous. Archangel armor, on the other hand, is kinda neat.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7958 on: February 25, 2014, 04:34:28 am »

, love it. Just to bad I couldn't keep up with the rising tide. Might have to increase base funding just a touch.

As a last thought, I think I also overdid the panic missions a little bit.
Spoiler: Chryssalids errywhere (click to show/hide)
That's what you get when the AI can and will use every unit it has on the field, and every civilian killed by a chryssalid offscreen will always turn into a zombie. Full blown infestation if you don't curb it fast enough. :D
Good to know that some things don't change, I just lost my base in hong kong to Chryssalids, once they reach your front lines you're screwed, next time, more rockets.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7959 on: February 25, 2014, 04:37:29 am »

Yeah, that was something of a letdown. Titan armor on genemodders looks ridiculous. Archangel armor, on the other hand, is kinda neat.

The demonstration for the titan armour thing they show more made me laugh the first time they did it - my soldier wasn't wearing a helmet so they blasted him in the face with a flamethrower and all it did was ruffle his hair.

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7960 on: February 25, 2014, 08:33:41 am »

The demonstration for the titan armour thing they show more made me laugh the first time they did it - my soldier wasn't wearing a helmet so they blasted him in the face with a flamethrower and all it did was ruffle his hair.
That soldier's a keeper.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7961 on: February 27, 2014, 12:40:43 pm »

I got a great mental image this morning while sitting in a meeting:

A picture of a coffee cup doing the Sectoid mind boost thing to a guy sitting at his computer.

I'd draw it, if I thought I could do it justice.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7962 on: February 27, 2014, 01:40:05 pm »

I got a great mental image this morning while sitting in a meeting:

A picture of a coffee cup doing the Sectoid mind boost thing to a guy sitting at his computer.

I'd draw it, if I thought I could do it justice.
That is genius.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7963 on: February 27, 2014, 02:00:49 pm »

Caffeine is using mind control!
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7964 on: February 27, 2014, 02:11:25 pm »

And of course, it follows that as soon as the coffee runs out, the Human dies.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."
Pages: 1 ... 529 530 [531] 532 533 ... 625