Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 530 531 [532] 533 534 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958881 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #7965 on: February 27, 2014, 06:45:12 pm »

I got a great mental image this morning while sitting in a meeting:

A picture of a coffee cup doing the Sectoid mind boost thing to a guy sitting at his computer.

I'd draw it, if I thought I could do it justice.
That is genius.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7966 on: February 28, 2014, 06:48:19 pm »

Enema Within has been patched.  Apart from a few bugs being addressed, Mimetic Skin has been 'balanced', apparently by increasing the cost to 65 Meld and §150, but no actual adjustment to how it works.

They really have to work on the content in their patch notes.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7967 on: February 28, 2014, 06:56:13 pm »

Enema Within has been patched.

This might vy for funniest misspelling of a video game title.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7968 on: February 28, 2014, 07:04:27 pm »

It's old, I've done it many times.....and will keep doing it until .....   well never basically.  {Or they release the next chapter that has a name like Enema Inbound... or something}
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7969 on: February 28, 2014, 07:04:51 pm »

Didn't we already make that joke?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #7970 on: February 28, 2014, 10:14:13 pm »

Allowing XEW to unlock second wave options based on steam achievements a user has

Now does this mean for the purpose of unlocking them if you lose your save, or does this mean they're going to add more, I wonder.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7971 on: March 01, 2014, 07:27:16 am »

Allowing XEW to unlock second wave options based on steam achievements a user has

Now does this mean for the purpose of unlocking them if you lose your save, or does this mean they're going to add more, I wonder.
I suspect it will use the three achievements "Humanity's Savior" for having beat the game, "Earth First" for completing on classic and "Our Finest Hour" for completing on impossible, to unlock the second wave options if your local profile has been lost or you have reinstalled.

Just looked at those patch notes, the pistol 1 project wasn't applying to laser and plasma pistols?
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7972 on: March 01, 2014, 08:28:09 am »

Just looked at those patch notes, the pistol 1 project wasn't applying to laser and plasma pistols?
It made sense to me, it's a project for the reduction of recoil by introducing advanced ammo. Laser pistols are not going to use that. Even if plasma pistols still use ammo, the conventional ammo upgrade is going to be of no use to them. I thought it was behaving as designed.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7973 on: March 02, 2014, 07:02:06 pm »

It made sense to me, it's a project for the reduction of recoil by introducing advanced ammo. Laser pistols are not going to use that. Even if plasma pistols still use ammo, the conventional ammo upgrade is going to be of no use to them. I thought it was behaving as designed.

Laser shotguns have to be pumped. Your logic has no meaning here, human.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7974 on: March 02, 2014, 07:19:49 pm »

I've always figured the reason they would want to spread out a laser like a shotgun was not to directly harm the enemy, but rather to give them cancer.  The extra damage is because they pumped up the laser's power.

An engineer who hadn't slept in 10 days decided "we can't possibly beat the aliens, but we can ruin their lives twenty years from now!"
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7975 on: March 02, 2014, 07:31:18 pm »

I guess the Laser Shotgun came about because two engies were drunk, one said "Yo... Bro... Two words, bro... Laser. Shotgun."

The other guy went "Holy shit that's awesome."

And the laws of physics are juuuuust wonky enough in XCom that when they actually made it, it turned out to not be a piece of shit so they figured, "Hey, waste-not want-not."
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7976 on: March 02, 2014, 07:34:25 pm »

The thing htat gets the the most is they have all these top of the line weapons and they can't even splash out for some automatic shotguns?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7977 on: March 02, 2014, 07:47:11 pm »

Laser shotguns have to be pumped. Your logic has no meaning here, human.
Ahem. Though this is perhaps a different sense of the word.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7978 on: March 02, 2014, 11:13:13 pm »

My guess is that laser weapons use heat sinks as ammo, and the Shotgun uses a high-power multi-beam dispersion mechanism that requires a new lens to be cycled into the chamber after every firing, because it can't be cooled quickly enough and is rendered useless with every shot.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7979 on: March 03, 2014, 03:26:56 pm »

My guess is that the original xcom was a parody/deconstruction of the kind of show that would use lasers as a blatant standin for guns because they weren't allowed to show people getting shot with real bullets, and the newcom developers were fully aware of this.

I mean look at the conventional weapons Xcom starts with.  Especially the sniper rifle with the comically oversized scope and big ball on the slide.  They look like plastic toys.  I think this is intentional.  GI Joe was a toy commercial show, same as Power Rangers or Transformers.  EW makes it much less subtle with EXALT which is basically Cobra by another name.

Thus the laser shotgun acts exactly like a normal shotgun.  It is a normal shotgun, but they couldn't show a gun that shoots real bullets on a children's show.  Don't let the cheerful exterior fool you, Jake Solomon is a clever man.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 530 531 [532] 533 534 ... 625