Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958847 times)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #7980 on: March 03, 2014, 03:32:16 pm »

It's probably just force of habit.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7981 on: March 03, 2014, 03:34:57 pm »

What I don't get is why they went for Shotgun-Laser Shotgun-Alloy Cannon, when Shotgun-Alloy Cannon-Plasma Shotgun would have been a more sensible progression. A Plasma Shotgun makes way more sense than a Laser Shotgun.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7982 on: March 03, 2014, 03:38:01 pm »

I guess because laser shotguns are still, like the other laser weapons, clearly made using human technology. Alloy cannons and plasma weapons, on the other hand, co-opt the more advanced alien tech, putting them higher on the tech tree.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7983 on: March 03, 2014, 03:38:26 pm »

My guess is that the original xcom was a parody/deconstruction of the kind of show that would use lasers as a blatant standin for guns because they weren't allowed to show people getting shot with real bullets, and the newcom developers were fully aware of this.

I mean look at the conventional weapons Xcom starts with.  Especially the sniper rifle with the comically oversized scope and big ball on the slide.  They look like plastic toys.  I think this is intentional.  GI Joe was a toy commercial show, same as Power Rangers or Transformers.  EW makes it much less subtle with EXALT which is basically Cobra by another name.

Thus the laser shotgun acts exactly like a normal shotgun.  It is a normal shotgun, but they couldn't show a gun that shoots real bullets on a children's show.  Don't let the cheerful exterior fool you, Jake Solomon is a clever man.

The X-Com soldiers are specifically supposed to look like action figures, so that guess might not be far off.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7984 on: March 03, 2014, 04:33:39 pm »

Yeah, they were most likely intentionally designed to be silly / toy-like.

It's a nice aesthetic.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7985 on: March 03, 2014, 04:48:19 pm »

Yeah, they were most likely intentionally designed to be silly / toy-like.

It's a nice aesthetic.

Back before the game was released there was an interview with the art director where he talked about them looking like action figures. They weren't originally going to look like that, but after someone mentioned how they kind of looked like action figures they decided to run with it and ended up with the aesthetic we have now. And I agree, it works well for the game.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7986 on: March 03, 2014, 10:24:12 pm »

I dunno, man. Alloy cannons? Seems a very human thing to do.

"We got these extremely dense pieces of metal, but we can't really do anything with them... Let's put them in a tube and shoot them at aliens!"

Whereas making a laser-shotgun... be a thing, is a very high-tech thing.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7987 on: March 03, 2014, 10:29:16 pm »

I've discovered a very useful use for Flush: Making Sectopods move so you can set up a better situation for your guys.

Normally I don't bother with it, but with the Skill Tree randomization I've actually had someone take it (because my Heavy does not need Revive, thank you very much). Ended up much more useful than I'd anticipated.
Come play Mafia with us!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7988 on: March 03, 2014, 10:36:33 pm »

Yeah, that training roulette is pretty fun when you find unexpected uses for skills.
I managed to get a sniper with both suppression and flush, it was really awesome having someone in the background that could either force or limit movement of whoever I wanted.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7989 on: March 03, 2014, 11:27:01 pm »

What I don't get is why they went for Shotgun-Laser Shotgun-Alloy Cannon, when Shotgun-Alloy Cannon-Plasma Shotgun would have been a more sensible progression. A Plasma Shotgun makes way more sense than a Laser Shotgun.
Because the alloy fragments destroyed all weapons they were fired from in testing, and Plasma tech introduced magnetic containment fields strong enough to prevent that. (that's actually mentioned in the Alloy Cannon research text) A plasma shotgun makes less sense than a laser shotgun, because plasma requires a special containment field for each shot - it's ridiculously impractical to mount a dozen plasma barrels into one gun. With a laser, you can use a simple process of refraction - a prism can split the laser beam into several individual beams, each with less power but more chance to hit on the overall. Amp the original beam's power enough, and you get the laser shotgun - all it needs is a fresh refractor for every shot because with the shot's power it can't be cooled well enough to make it reusable. The pump action, then, merely cycles a fresh refraction prism into the chamber.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7990 on: March 04, 2014, 12:11:34 am »

Nah, plasma shotgun makes sense. Your sacrificing containment for power, so your plasma spreads out more and doesn't have as long a range before dissipating, but if you fire from up close, you deal a lot more damage.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7991 on: March 04, 2014, 12:24:58 am »

Certainly more sense than the laser shotgun.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7992 on: March 04, 2014, 12:46:37 am »

"Laser shotgun" is a misnomer for the sake of brevity. The weapon is a refracted array multibeam laser cannon, and it makes exactly as much sense as a regular shotgun firing 12-gauge - sacrificing sheer stopping power and long-range damage for increased accuracy via shot dispersion and higher chance of damaging something vital at shorter distances. It works because each individual laser beam remains focused and still deals damage.

A "plasma shotgun" that works by reducing containment simply kills its own power for little measurable gain. Keeping with the shotgun analogy, it ends up shooting Dragon's Breath - plasma will expand and cool after leaving the barrel, potentially causing burns on impact, but the net effect won't be anything like a concentrated plasma bolt's hit, and it will have no penetration capacity. It's like dragging an explosion out into a few seconds of burn - exactly like Dragon's Breath.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7993 on: March 04, 2014, 12:48:21 am »

The Laser shotgun makes more sense when you realize that the tech that makes them is the same tech that gets you laser sniper rifles.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7994 on: March 04, 2014, 12:57:29 am »

The Laser shotgun makes more sense when you realize that the tech that makes them is the same tech that gets you laser sniper rifles.
^This.

Also, why don't we all just use more flamethrowers?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 625