Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958078 times)

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #7306 on: January 26, 2014, 12:29:01 am »

Yeah, on robot punching.

I swear the only reason I made it through one XCOM:EU Classic Ironman early game and not die horribly to thin men was because I made a robot puncher out of a useless squaddie sniper. She pretty much carried the team at times.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7307 on: January 26, 2014, 02:34:10 am »

Unbiased pros and cons to robot punching:

Pros:
1. No need to reload
2. Perfect accuracy
3. Second most damage in the game from a single attack
4. Gives bonus movement
5. Can hit multiple targets
6. Can destroy cover
7. Looks awesome

Cons:
1. Only limited to robots
2. Makes humans look extremely weak and useless
3. Angry, unemployed humans might form union prohibiting the use of robot punching

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7308 on: January 26, 2014, 08:53:59 am »

Another con, engineers need to clean the robot fist every once in awhile and alien guts take a lot of expensive cleaners.
Nom nom nom

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7309 on: January 26, 2014, 09:03:14 am »

And it makes you choose between all that, and a weapon that can panic Chryssalids.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7310 on: January 26, 2014, 10:10:44 am »

You're late enough in the game to encounter Sectopods, yet Chrysallids cause more problems for you? Don't plasma weapons 1-2 shot Chrysallids? You also had Sid Meier?
I have the ability to make plasma weapons, I just haven't done it nearly enough. Especially given that I keep forgetting to take them off the veterans before giving them to newbies.
And seriously. Cryssalids travel in packs, they move fast, get another move when they enter your sight range, and deal craptons of damage.

Yeah, on robot punching.
I swear the only reason I made it through one XCOM:EU Classic Ironman early game and not die horribly to thin men was because I made a robot puncher out of a useless squaddie sniper. She pretty much carried the team at times.
...Robot puncher? Do you mean MEC? Which are from the EW expansion?

And it makes you choose between all that, and a weapon that can panic Chryssalids.
...Wait, what?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7311 on: January 26, 2014, 10:32:04 am »

Flamethrowers panic everything. Everything.

As long as 'everything' falls under what they actually damage.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7312 on: January 26, 2014, 11:09:46 am »

Ah.

P.S. I'm starting the Base Assault mission. I realized partway through the squad selection process that Cnl. Meier was still going to be in the hospital for a couple of days, but I went on with just Cnl. Levine, Cnl. Zander, and assorted non-heroes. Half the squad has plasma, the two assaults have alloy cannons, and Levine...he has a normal sniper rifle okay? I evidently didn't have enough.

Wish me luck.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7313 on: January 26, 2014, 11:14:25 am »

What you need for Base Assault depends entirely on what stage of the invasion it is. If you aren't past Floaters (and maybe Mutons), ballistic can be sufficient. But since you have plasma, I'm guessing you're at Elite Mutons and Sectopods, in which case you're doomed.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7314 on: January 26, 2014, 11:17:48 am »

I have plasma weaponry, and am using it. Mostly.

Also, I'm having problems. It keeps saying it's out of video memory before I can actually do anything.
Um.
Sig

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7315 on: January 26, 2014, 11:20:53 am »

Yeah, "mostly" isn't going to cut it when its your sniper that's got the exception. If it was a heavy or support you'd probably be alright, but without efficient sniper coverage? You dead.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7316 on: January 26, 2014, 11:24:37 am »

I have another sniper.

And snipers seem to be the class most hampered by indoor environments. All the frickin' walls...
Sig

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #7317 on: January 26, 2014, 12:19:46 pm »

5. Can hit multiple targets

Wait, really? Huh. I thought it only applied to destroying cover, not hitting multiple aliens with one rocketfist.
------
Also, GWG, I think everyone is exaggerating the difficulty you can expect from the base assault mission. You weren't playing on classic or higher, right? The game is nice enough to give you some advantages, like not having too many aliens attacking you at once. I'd think you could handle it well, since you've got plasma and stuff. Just don't leave things to chance. Make sure you've got a backup plan at all times, and don't get in an extended firefight with aliens. either move closer to flank them, or retreat and draw them into overwatch ambushes. If you aren't playing on Ironman, you could just reload if things go wrong.

On the topic of difficulties, I tried playing a game on normal with a bunch of second wave options instead of classic, and it's amazing how many 45% shots hit. My rookies actually shot sectoids pretty reliably. It's absurd.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7318 on: January 26, 2014, 12:34:58 pm »

I'm on Easy. Anything higher would probably destroy me.
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7319 on: January 26, 2014, 01:13:01 pm »

Goddammit, why do I keep running out of video memory when I assault the alien base?

What does that even mean?
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 625