Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 488 489 [490] 491 492 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958072 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #7335 on: January 26, 2014, 08:25:52 pm »

My Normal game is now well underway, and I am undertaking the Alien Base this month. On the verge of Mutons appearing. Things have been interesting so far. Conclusions:

-Second Wave options: Not Created Equally, Hidden Potential, Aiming Angles, Training Roulette. The last of these makes for an interesting shakeup indeed. Sometimes bad (medic perks, mostly), sometimes good (I now have a Colonel Sniper with HEAT ammunition. Dear fucking god.)
-Mechs are OP as fuck. The fact that you're allowed to use more than one is insane, and I doubt I will. A Mech squad could probably steamroll anything.
-Slingshot was better than I heard from most people. I've got to love the last mission, and Zhang isn't problematic. He's just one solider among many, or at least he was by the time Slingshot started for me. Besides, I needed a heavy.
-All of my female soldiers become assaults. All of them. It's fucking ridiculous. This is why I needed a heavy.
-Three deaths, two to Thin Mints and one to a surprise Cyberdisk. The only one I really cared about was my main assault, Lt. McKay, gunned down in cold blood while placing beacons in the second Slingshot mission and far away from help. RIP, you berserk Scottish lunatic.
-Not many useful augments among the gene mods thus far, but then again, less cost to using them too. Might give my sniper Thin Mint legs, but otherwise nothing that useful yet.
-All of my Arc Thrower wielders now receive Guile hair. It is the rite of their kind alone.
-Renaming medals is fun.
-No signs of EXALT beyond the first mission of Progeny. Any day now...
-I should not play Normal, even Ironman+Second Wave. Classic and Impossible are too good of training. Even with Enemy Within's changes shaking things up, I retain mechanical efficiency.
-C-Day is way fucking easier in Normal compared to Classic/Impossible.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 08:36:34 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7336 on: January 26, 2014, 08:40:43 pm »

I still don't understand why you'd want to play on normal. It'd be too easy.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7337 on: January 26, 2014, 08:44:52 pm »

I don't have a lot of time for gaming these days. While I could throw myself against the wall in Classic until I get a winner, I'd probably not see any of Enemy Within's features until Summer thanks to Thin Mints.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7338 on: January 26, 2014, 08:45:43 pm »

You know, every time you call them Thin Mints they kill a colonel :x
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7339 on: January 26, 2014, 08:51:19 pm »

The real reason behind the alien invasion: They want to take all of our delicious Girl Scout Cookies. Frankly, I think it's noble of X-COM to defend such a precious resource.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7340 on: January 26, 2014, 11:28:44 pm »

Every time they kill a colonel they get called Thin Mints more. It's the circle of life.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #7341 on: January 27, 2014, 12:48:32 am »

What I don't understand is why aren't floaters as terrifying? They have the same gun (And aim bonus.), I think the same natural aim, can fly, and always have half cover in the air. Aside from suicidal leaps, why aren't they as scary?
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7342 on: January 27, 2014, 12:49:51 am »

No poison. And they like to suicide jump into your team.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #7343 on: January 27, 2014, 12:53:07 am »

Floaters..well, tactical thinking isn't their forte. They don't seem to realise all they need to do is fly really high and snipe. They're basically angry flying bears with guns.

Thin Men are coded to have a more intelligent AI, which translates to realising that they can kill all of your dudes just by staying far back and high up.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #7344 on: January 27, 2014, 01:10:10 am »

That said floaters do have their moments of terrifying efficiency, when they can take advantage of their height... advantage, and don't do anything stupid like dive bomb your shotgun assault.

This is rare.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7345 on: January 27, 2014, 01:51:27 am »

Well, I just finished the Fishing Village mission for the first time. You guys weren't kidding when you said it was rough! I'm lucky to have only lost one (my best Heavy, RIP "Road Block"). Didn't help that my only Assault was in medbay...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7346 on: January 27, 2014, 02:43:33 am »

If you're curious, it's not actually possible to wait out all the Chrysalids before activating the airstrike. They come infinitely.

Can be useful, if you want tonnes of free exp.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #7347 on: January 27, 2014, 02:56:23 am »

My tactic with that mission has become to just run an Assault with the Muscle Fiber Density straight to the boat, and run him straight back again and keep a squadsight sniper back and high for covering fire. In and out as fast as possible, because all else is death.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7348 on: January 27, 2014, 07:17:47 am »

If you're curious, it's not actually possible to wait out all the Chrysalids before activating the airstrike. They come infinitely.

But Chrysalids can not spawn for a few turns. I've had 3 turns during which none spawned (I had the time to go activate and get out of the boat).

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7349 on: January 27, 2014, 07:23:37 am »

But Chrysalids can not spawn for a few turns. I've had 3 turns during which none spawned (I had the time to go activate and get out of the boat).
I wonder how quickly can one complete that mission. A Hover SHIV likely can't activate the panel, so the fastest way is probably a fast MEC Trooper with jump boots, after Improved Servomotors research, flanked with SHIVs for support. Or perhaps a regular trooper with Sprinter and the leg musculature genemod. Preferably an Assault, so Run&Gun can be used.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 488 489 [490] 491 492 ... 625