Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961101 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2880 on: October 10, 2012, 03:52:04 pm »

Ranked Snipers, they are really epic with teamsight.  Now, spend +5 turns to move my sniper up from the high ground way back so I could advance some more.  (Game is freezing up on me for some reason, while I advance.)
Also, Shotgun Assaults really get more accurate with the shotgun at range when they rank up.

And yea, enemies apparently don't exist till you trigger em?  It seems 2 Sectoids spawned right behind my bullet catcher...  in plain view.... I shot up enemy that were behind him.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: October 10, 2012, 03:53:43 pm »

So... I almost bought this today, but didn't know too much about it in particular. I've played the old X-Coms, is this one as boss like as them?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: October 10, 2012, 03:58:47 pm »

Honestly I am not sure if Snipers are better with Team Sight or Snapshot (with the added upgrade that removes the penelty).

Sure Team Sight gives them epic shooting capabilities... but Snapshot helps during so many missions where you just cannot afford to stay put

It would probably be better to train both.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 04:03:49 pm by Neonivek »

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: October 10, 2012, 04:03:23 pm »

BTW, to someone that mentioned disappointment in the lack of UFOpaedia/game manual, they're in the Escape menu along with Save/Load Game, etc.

That was probably me, and what they have is a waste of space.  As USEC_OFFICER said, it's just an in-game manual.  Want to know about, oh, Aircraft Armaments, for example?  Sure, check that manual - it just tells you that you can go to the hanger, select an aircraft, and choose what weapon system to equip on it.  Yep!  Your scientists can research things with enough detail for your engineers to build them... but if you want to know the stats of an item, you have to build it, go to the soldier/craft equip page, and click on the tab to actually see the stats.  Ridonkulous!  Especially when you compare the original game's in-game UFOpedia that would update with every bit of research, building or piece of gear as you unlocked them, with full stats and fluff text.

Hanslanda, it's a very good (with minor bugs & quirks) re-imaging of the original.  It's not a remake - they did make changes...  If you want to know if they're good or bad, it's all opinion.  For example, they got rid of Time Units, and went with a flat 2 moves (or 1 move & 1 action).  It's less flexible than the original, but it does speed up the gameplay.  Good?  Bad?  All opinion.  I have some complaints about things (see above :p ) but overall I am enjoying it quite a bit.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: October 10, 2012, 04:04:25 pm »

I'll probably get it next time then, if my computer can play it.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: October 10, 2012, 04:06:22 pm »

Can you run it? - Great resource site if you're not sure how your rig will handle the game.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: October 10, 2012, 04:08:05 pm »

Can you run it? - Great resource site if you're not sure how your rig will handle the game.
Take those results with a grain of salt though. It failed our old computer on most things, even though it could play some games on reduced settings.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: October 10, 2012, 04:10:08 pm »

And yea, enemies apparently don't exist till you trigger em?  It seems 2 Sectoids spawned right behind my bullet catcher...  in plain view.... I shot up enemy that were behind him.

No, they move around in packs, and only enter battle mode when you get close enough.  Sometimes you can hit them before they enter battle mode while they are wondering around in the open.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: October 10, 2012, 04:13:18 pm »

No, they move around in packs, and only enter battle mode when you get close enough.  Sometimes you can hit them before they enter battle mode while they are wondering around in the open.

Yeah but I've had them more then happy to simply mill about or not move rather then explore.

Only in Terror missions and UFO crashes have I seen them actually explore... and even then UFO crashes didn't have enemies attack until I got near the door (Well the ones inside it)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2889 on: October 10, 2012, 04:18:22 pm »

Yeah but I've had them more then happy to simply mill about or not move rather then explore.

Only in Terror missions and UFO crashes have I seen them actually explore... and even then UFO crashes didn't have enemies attack until I got near the door (Well the ones inside it)
During abduction missions the aliens are busy... abducting. You find them huddled over wrapped-up civvies doing whatever aliens do. They don't explore because they're busy abducting people.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: October 10, 2012, 04:19:42 pm »

During abduction missions the aliens are busy... abducting. You find them huddled over wrapped-up civvies doing whatever aliens do. They don't explore because they're busy abducting people.
This. Though you'd think that once the shooting started, other groups of aliens would come running over to see what's going on.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2891 on: October 10, 2012, 04:27:28 pm »

This. Though you'd think that once the shooting started, other groups of aliens would come running over to see what's going on.
True, you'd think they'd have some kind of battlefield comms to warn other teams that people are shooting.

Then again, the sectoids/snakemen aren't terribly bright. In fact if you...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: October 10, 2012, 04:28:06 pm »

I always assume Sirus that a Terror mission represents a sort of spear head in dealing with the Aliens and that the battle either represents how the battle went overall... or just slows the aliens down to minimise casualties.

Thus the scene is much more chaotic then it seems.

Also has anyone noticed that Earth has a LOT of clones?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: October 10, 2012, 04:30:40 pm »

Well, the game does take place Ten Minutes In The Future...

But seriously, the original series was much worse in this regard, so I'm just glad we have at least a little more variety.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: October 10, 2012, 04:33:22 pm »

Well, the game does take place Ten Minutes In The Future...

But seriously, the original series was much worse in this regard, so I'm just glad we have at least a little more variety.

Yeah but it makes an interesting cutscene where one person carries his twin to safety.

They have the ability to do whatever they wanted with that cutscene and they just went "Yep... Perfect!"

It makes me wonder if that was meant to be intentionally funny as a sort of poke at the original.
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 625