Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961097 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2865 on: October 10, 2012, 02:18:55 pm »

Hmm. I'll have to double-check tonight. Could have sworn that it was the Sniper and not the Assault when I tried. Because I specifically wanted to use an AS for an Assault troop and was disappointed that I couldn't.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: October 10, 2012, 02:26:46 pm »

Okay, so in my first X-COM game, Ironman and Classic, my very first team was nearly wiped out by Sectoids on our initial run. The only survivor was a heavily wounded guy from Africa, who was promoted to Heavy Squaddie, and sent to the medbay. My next team to go out consisted of a German woman, an American man named John Blake, because he's American like that, A Korean and a Nigerian. They actually won their first mission with zero casualties or injuries, and became my main fighting force for the next couple of missions.

Things went to shit once we got our first downed UFO. We encountered a non-Sectoid in that mission, some energy being that shot dead our Assault boy, the Nigerian named Ondende. My two snipers, the American and German, gunned it down.

Things were going great, until our next mission, where my Heavy from my very first mission was finally put back in action. We were ambushed by Sectoids in an area full of cargo to be shipped. They hid amongst the crates and ambushed us, killing the German (my favorite, actually, because she kicked all the ass), and the Korean Support man.

Both my Heavy and Blake were heavily wounded in the initial assault, and responded with copious abuse of rocket launchers and headshots, wiping out the majority of the Sectoids before setting up a crossfire and killing the last few to come in.

Now both the last survivors of their initial squads, they got to bond in the medbay while a team of rookies, a Japanese woman, a British man with a handlebar mustache named Henry Cavill, and a Russian man and woman duo. This was my first Thin Man fight, and I found them to be pretty easy this go-around. The Japanese chick actually slaughtered the majority of the enemy forces on her own after getting separated, only to be gunned down by a Sectoid. Her sacrifice made an opening, though, and the others escaped with the scientist.

And then the next mission all three of these soldiers and their rookie squadmate were slaughtered by jetpack monsters and thin men, and I ragequit.

Will let you know how my next game goes, hopefully a bit better than this.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: October 10, 2012, 02:39:09 pm »

The XCOM related sleep deprivation was to be expected. What I didn't expect was how many more mistakes I make at 2am than at 10PM.

I have restarted my game several times and right now, even with 12 hours in game, I don't have an active one. Curses.

One of my favorite things about the game so far is that all your soldiers have a nationality and have that nations flag on the back of their uniform. I have been trying to learn every national flag (with decent success) and it makes a fun side note to the guys.

My least favorite things are panicing soldiers and dieing while behind cover. FUUUUUUUUU.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2868 on: October 10, 2012, 03:00:22 pm »

Hmm. I'll have to double-check tonight. Could have sworn that it was the Sniper and not the Assault when I tried. Because I specifically wanted to use an AS for an Assault troop and was disappointed that I couldn't.
I've just verified. The Assault Rifle is listed as "Unavailable to Snipers" while assault class soldiers can use either the Shotgun or Rifle.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: October 10, 2012, 03:03:29 pm »

I wish it stated the country of origin of each soldier rather just relying on the flag image. I don't want to scan a wiki article to figure out which country people are from. I'm American and if it ain't the flag of a 1st world nation I can't keep what is what straight.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: October 10, 2012, 03:06:28 pm »

BTW, to someone that mentioned disappointment in the lack of UFOpaedia/game manual, they're in the Escape menu along with Save/Load Game, etc.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: October 10, 2012, 03:13:36 pm »

BTW, to someone that mentioned disappointment in the lack of UFOpaedia/game manual, they're in the Escape menu along with Save/Load Game, etc.

Eh, it's just the in-game manual. You can re-read the research text in the laboratory tab, and you can check the weapons's stats when equipping them to your soldiers, but you don't have a concentrated repository of information like the UFOpaedia in the original games.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: October 10, 2012, 03:21:41 pm »

I wonder if getting mentally attacked (Which used to always target the weakest unit, and revealed your squad's location to all enemies) still gives them the ability to aim magic blaster bombs into the skyranger. Are there even still blaster bombs?
there is a blaster bomb...but its human only and has a range of only what that unit can see...its the upgrade to the rocket launcher...on the bright side, it auto paths to the target, like if theres an open door and you order it to fire on the other side of the wall, it will go around to go through the door and hit wherever you specify...the problem is...you need to shoot down a battleship to get the research materials, when i tried, the battleship which is freaking huge but only gives 120 alien alloys dispite being so large that the skyranger has to land onto it, but back to what i was saying, the alien battleship took roughly 1/3rd the firestorm's health in a single shot.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: October 10, 2012, 03:30:55 pm »

Assaults are interesting in that they are dramatically different whether or not you give them assault rifles or Shotguns.

I honestly thought I'd hate Shotguns but they are actually pretty amazing once you realise what they are there for.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: October 10, 2012, 03:33:08 pm »

It is nice to have like a 50% crit chance and 100% chance to hit when you're at point blank range. It's nice for taking out the last alien in a pack. I've gotten into trouble other times though because sticking a shotgun up something's ass usually leaves you exposed afterwards. Also, I don't know if there are evolved shotguns, but they're basically damage capped. Which is why I eventually replaced them with laser or better.

And on that note, I really wish Arc Throwers could be used with Run 'n Gun. But I suppose that would be too easy.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: October 10, 2012, 03:37:07 pm »

It is nice to have like a 50% crit chance and 100% chance to hit when you're at point blank range. It's nice for taking out the last alien in a pack. I've gotten into trouble other times though because sticking a shotgun up something's ass usually leaves you exposed afterwards. Also, I don't know if there are evolved shotguns, but they're basically damage capped. Which is why I eventually replaced them with laser or better.

And on that note, I really wish Arc Throwers could be used with Run 'n Gun. But I suppose that would be too easy.

Shotguns are a bit of a sleeper in terms of usefulness. You need your assault to get to a very specific level before they turn into an amazing weapon.

Also YEAH the Arc Throwers are so hard to use without getting things killed. I tried to Arc Mutons and I have no idea if it is even possible.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2876 on: October 10, 2012, 03:42:59 pm »

Also, I don't know if there are evolved shotguns, but they're basically damage capped. Which is why I eventually replaced them with laser or better.
There is a laser shotgun.

Yes.. its weird, but it's a thing in the game.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: October 10, 2012, 03:43:38 pm »

I'm pretty sure arc-ing mutons is something you do only when you realize there's only one left and he has a single bar of health. ;)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: October 10, 2012, 03:45:01 pm »

Also, I don't know if there are evolved shotguns, but they're basically damage capped. Which is why I eventually replaced them with laser or better.
There is a laser shotgun.

Yes.. its weird, but it's a thing in the game.

Percision Lasers (which get Sniper Lasers) is what also gets you Laser Shotguns... Weird but it sort of makes sense.

Their damage relies HEAVILY on the skill of the assault troop. No class, not even Snipers, enhance their weapon more then the assault troop.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: October 10, 2012, 03:49:13 pm »

Fun fact, I ran my dedicated arc thrower into range of a 1 health muton. I held off in a piece of cover because it was 1 turn out of range....

And the muton walked up to her and point blank stuck a light plasma rifle in her face.

And she lived. And promptly put him down. I was so proud.
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 625