Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961126 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2850 on: October 10, 2012, 11:45:20 am »

@ Mephansteras:
Gah. I really want to use some of those in the campaign  :-\
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2851 on: October 10, 2012, 11:47:05 am »

Yeah, once modding tools come out, the first thing I'm doing is upping the limit on Sat-Uplinks. For them to only be able to control two seems absurdly low.
You can get better uplinks via research, and they get adjacency bonuses. I didn't have a problem with sat coverage

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: October 10, 2012, 12:00:12 pm »

@ Mephansteras:
Gah. I really want to use some of those in the campaign  :-\

Yeah, me too. Hopefully it'll be one of the things they patch in later.

Honestly, I think my biggest hope for the game now is that it gets a good solid sequel or revamp expansion. This is a decent remake and it does a lot of things right. But there are a bunch of areas that could be improved. With the success of the game so far, I think they'll be able to get the budget to go forward with the series and make improvements on an already good game.

Also looking forward to the next release of Xenonauts. If we're lucky, it's strategic layer may scratch the itch that this game isn't quite getting to.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: October 10, 2012, 12:18:16 pm »

I just got started recently, so I'm still pretty early in my game, but I'm really, really enjoying this. I think, despite some rough edges, that they really did a good job on the game.

I'm playing on Classic/Ironman, and after the first mission where all my troops survived, I had three missions in a row that saw whoever was the top-ranked soldier get shot in the face. Same kind of luck getting live aliens - very first try got me a live sectoid, but despite repeated attempts, I haven't been able to bag anything else. (Interesting note: you cannot stun a zombie.)

I managed my first VIP mission with no problems and I've picked up some good stuff off of several small crashed UFOs. Had to leave for work in the middle of my first terror mission (which also saw my first laser weapons deployed, to great effect) which is going decently - it's looking like I'll save something like 60% of the civs. Had a chrysalid try to jump my squad - right into three different reaction shots that blew him away.

I'm worried what the next monthly meeting will bring - despite not losing any missions so far, I've still got some countries that are pretty panicked, due to repeated abductions. Still looking for the tech that will lead to better armor (an item that switches out with your grenade or medkit doesn't count!)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: October 10, 2012, 12:24:35 pm »

Welp, that settles it. I love this game. I just had a shootout with some sectoids in a graveyard in Japan. Anyone know how to take screenshots? My printscrn leaves me with a wall of black.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: October 10, 2012, 12:26:02 pm »

If you're playing on Steam, F12 works.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: October 10, 2012, 12:26:57 pm »

Grazi.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: October 10, 2012, 12:33:52 pm »

I'm pretty sure basic smoke straight up says aliens get cover too.

I can't decide how I like the Geoscape.  The big thing is that the way things are currently set up, it doesn't feel as sandboxy as the original.  In the original, UFOs had missions, they flew there, did their mission, left, at any point you could detect one.  Maybe I just don't have the satellite coverage for that to work yet, but right now the way things work it almost feels like the game's randomly generating sets of missions and having me pick one, which is not how XCOM should be.   

Point being, in the original XCOM it almost felt like a competitive thing.  The aliens were acting within the rules of the game with the goal of winning, just like you.  This I feel like they're just teleporting around or having ships appear for you to shoot down.  The aliens' goal is to be shot by XCOM agents.

XCOM is neither a sandbox nor really a simulation. That's the biggest difference between the two. XCOM is an action game with sim elements and TBS combat. X-COM was a simulation with action elements and TBS combat.

On the one hand, the game is a lot more playable now for EVERYONE. On the other, for people who like deep sims and can handle a fair amount of micromanagement, several parts of XCOM disappoint.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: October 10, 2012, 12:35:56 pm »

And for those people, there's Xenonauts, I think. As it stands, those of us who like /both/ sims and action games get to drown in opportunity. ^_^

Glad to here this game seems so enjoyable, it's a shame I'm not going to get to play it until next month, really. :/

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: October 10, 2012, 12:38:38 pm »

In Normal, I've dealt with Chryssalids by putting a couple rockets at them.

...My favorite moment so far was grappling onto a rooftop to Taser a Thin Man.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: October 10, 2012, 01:03:11 pm »

So, did Firaxis nail this, or what? I've needed a reboot of xcom for years and years and years. And those other 9 or 10 independent versions are still all in development, heh.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #2861 on: October 10, 2012, 01:06:38 pm »

What about UFO: Alien Invasion? It's essentially a Free Open Source remake of the original X-Com and ain't too bad, all things considered. I've never lasted past early game and have found a few issues with the mechanics:

When one nation loses enough favour with you, game over.
Fight with a scout squad on a big map means I did once have to spend donkeys searching for that ONE fucking alien still alive and hiding in a building somewhere.
No vehicles, then again maybe it's because I haven't gotten past the early game (where they are ridiculously OP in the Xenonauts alpha at least).

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2862 on: October 10, 2012, 01:11:13 pm »

So, did Firaxis nail this, or what? I've needed a reboot of xcom for years and years and years. And those other 9 or 10 independent versions are still all in development, heh.
I'd say they nailed it. I'm loving the game, really.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: October 10, 2012, 01:13:05 pm »

Has anyone played around with giving Snipers Assault Rifles? I noticed that it was an option, but since I only have 1 sniper so far I haven't gotten a chance to play with it.

Can they move and shoot with one?
Can they headshot with one?
Do they get an accuracy penalty while using one?

I'm thinking Excess snipers could be good ranged flankers if they can move and shoot while using an AS. Give them Squadsight so they can fire at longer range while still being decent at short range without needing to rely on pistols.

I'm not sure how viable this is. But since they're the only class that can use AS in addition to their normal weapon I have to wonder what options that opens up.

Really wish my Assaults could use Assault Rifles instead of Shotguns. Had 3 on a team, which was just not good. Too short ranged to be able to deal with certain situations effectively, and a lot of the Assault abilities would work just fine at longer ranges.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2864 on: October 10, 2012, 01:14:34 pm »

Has anyone played around with giving Snipers Assault Rifles? I noticed that it was an option, but since I only have 1 sniper so far I haven't gotten a chance to play with it.

Can they move and shoot with one?
Can they headshot with one?
Do they get an accuracy penalty while using one?

I'm thinking Excess snipers could be good ranged flankers if they can move and shoot while using an AS. Give them Squadsight so they can fire at longer range while still being decent at short range without needing to rely on pistols.

I'm not sure how viable this is. But since they're the only class that can use AS in addition to their normal weapon I have to wonder what options that opens up.

Really wish my Assaults could use Assault Rifles instead of Shotguns. Had 3 on a team, which was just not good. Too short ranged to be able to deal with certain situations effectively, and a lot of the Assault abilities would work just fine at longer ranges.
I didn't notice any option to swap out the sniper rifle when I was playing, but Assaults CAN use rifles. Are you certain you don't have these backwards? I never use shotguns personally on my assaults.
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 625