Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 962101 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #1320 on: August 17, 2012, 04:14:57 pm »

Who ever said that there would only be American voices? And by the way, why can't a person of Indian descent speak "American"? Do you realize that American isn't a language or even a dialect?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: August 17, 2012, 04:16:02 pm »

Who ever said that there would only be American voices? And by the way, why can't a person of Indian descent speak "American"? Do you realize that American isn't a language or even a dialect?

I would be halfway willing to bet that at a certain point the US redefined its language as "American" instead of "English".

They like to do groan worthy stuff like that.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: August 17, 2012, 04:21:41 pm »

I would be halfway willing to bet that at a certain point the US redefined its language as "American" instead of "English".

Considering that we don't even have an official language yet (de facto English, yes, but not officially), that would be quite a stretch.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: August 17, 2012, 04:24:56 pm »

Considering that we don't even have an official language yet (de facto English, yes, but not officially), that would be quite a stretch.

But would you even be surprised?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: August 17, 2012, 04:28:36 pm »

Uh, yes. Because aside from some slang terms the English spoken over here is not radically different from that spoken in England or Australia. In five hundred years? Who knows? But the folks here insisting that foreigners speak "American" are just as stupid as the people who think everyone in this country is a gun-waving flag-wearing maniac.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: August 17, 2012, 05:18:02 pm »

I don't expect him to be speaking Hindi or Punjabi, im talking about the accent.

I don't expect him to be sounding like this. por example
nice shot of the Indian flag as well. (also I think the Assault one is from Russia, Sniper is American and Support is also American)

You find me an Indian who has that accent (not faking it but heck good luck finding that baritone in one anyway) and I will give you 1000 rupees. And thanks for the stupid assumption that I was using "American" as a language instead of an accent, assumptions make an ass out of you.

Also to be honest with the way your nitpicking I would have thought you would have gone "why can't an American change his nationality to become Indian", I seriously doubt the game is applying flags by genealogical descent and ancestry   
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 05:19:47 pm by Sharp »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: August 17, 2012, 07:33:34 pm »

lulz u funny man
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: August 18, 2012, 03:16:08 am »

Not 2 levels underground, no possibility for some hole above them, in fact you have to be pretty worried if they work fine underground and have people walking over them...
Given that your base is supposed to be secret while monitoring a wide area around it constantly, I'd think you'd need a better explanation than "there's holes above them" to begin with.

Also, radar exposure isn't harmful as far as I'm aware, unless you meant something else.

sure you can have random soldiers (im sure you buy em random as well) but what's the point of giving them nationalities if your going to give em generic american voice, might as well switch all flags to USA.
Kind of an odd complaint if you're trying to compare it to the original, given that they only had one voice set per gender as well, and it basically consisted of them dying.

On its own merits, yeah, that's unfortunate if it's true; I'm not aware of any info implying that there aren't Indian voice sets or anything, there just weren't any in that particular demo.

Of course, no matter how many soundsets they do have they aren't going to be enough for exactly what everyone wanted. Modding more in should hopefully be relatively simple, though.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: August 18, 2012, 03:16:36 am »

The USA will probably never have any official language. Some States do, but to my knowledge they've never been challenge. I can totally see an argument about having an official language unconstitutional.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: August 18, 2012, 06:56:14 am »

Given that your base is supposed to be secret while monitoring a wide area around it constantly, I'd think you'd need a better explanation than "there's holes above them" to begin with.
I always assumed they were not so much radar dishes, as satellite dishes- the founding nations gave you the codes to their raw radar data, and this represents how much of it you can process (so it's not just a SatLink, it's also a shit tonne of 1999 era computers). Not sure about short range radars though...

Also, radar exposure isn't harmful as far as I'm aware, unless you meant something else.
Ever heard of people getting cancer from UV rays? Radar is somewhat better (per megawatt emitted), due to having a longer wavelength, but you can still get it. And the bonus is that because radar is so good at penetrating the whole body, your cancer is much likely to be in an internal organ. Still it's reasonably safe to quickly walk in front of one.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: August 18, 2012, 07:36:41 am »

Also, birds flying near/landing on powerful radar arrays and being cooked was how the microwave oven came to be. (Wikipedia suggests it was actually a chocolate bar melting in someone's pocket as they were standing in front of an active one, but to me that sounds like they cleaned up the origin story a bit and I know I heard the bird thing from somewhere. Also suggests the first intentionally cooked food was popcorn, also suspiciously novel.)

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: August 18, 2012, 07:56:18 am »

American english is a dialect.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: August 18, 2012, 09:47:02 am »

Uh, yes. Because aside from some slang terms the English spoken over here is not radically different from that spoken in England or Australia. In five hundred years? Who knows? But the folks here insisting that foreigners speak "American" are just as stupid as the people who think everyone in this country is a gun-waving flag-wearing maniac.

AFAIK, before the American Independence, all british people spoke what we now understand as the American dialect. Later, british started their own new accent, with blackjack  and hookers.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: August 18, 2012, 10:01:09 am »

American english is a dialect.
Actually no, it's not. It's 29 different dialects.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: August 18, 2012, 10:40:43 am »

Before I even begin to panic about this, I'll give them the presumption that they would be doing the voice work LAST or near last and are doing development until then with one test set of voice files.  It would only make sense because any change or addition would mean getting every single voice actor back for each set of changes, and then what if one or more is not available?  Throw out their existing work and pay for a new guy to redo it - oh joy.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 625