Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 962054 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #1335 on: August 18, 2012, 11:52:32 am »

Uh, yes. Because aside from some slang terms the English spoken over here is not radically different from that spoken in England or Australia. In five hundred years? Who knows? But the folks here insisting that foreigners speak "American" are just as stupid as the people who think everyone in this country is a gun-waving flag-wearing maniac.

AFAIK, before the American Independence, all british people spoke what we now understand as the American dialect. Later, british started their own new accent, with blackjack  and hookers.

I've heard the same thing. But then again, Cracked isn't the most reliable of sources at times.
And Gimlet makes a very good point. Judging voice acting before release isn't good practice. This isn't close to release yet, right? I've been living under a gaming rock for a while now.

Anyways, time for me to play some more X-COM and brush up on my killin' skills.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: August 18, 2012, 12:07:02 pm »

AFAIK release dates are in October, 9th-12th.

And although yes voice acting might not be complete yet, I don't know if they are going to have a voices for all nationalities, Firaxis haven't been too bothered about the interesting but not actual gameplay fluff since Brian Reynolds left.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: August 18, 2012, 03:05:53 pm »

You know, here's hoping they take a page from the Worms book and let them have scouser accents or something else ridiculous if we want.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: August 18, 2012, 09:09:21 pm »

You know, here's hoping they take a page from the Worms book and let them have scouser accents or something else ridiculous if we want.

Oi Nutta!

Is that what that dialect was? I just remember the one Worms game I had a bunch of different dialects for a team.

Endymion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: August 19, 2012, 12:16:57 am »

Well wouldn't the idea be them making it easy to mod in whole new voice sets? I would love the ability to record some hundred or so voice clips and be able to load them into the game and assign them to a soldier.

...Well, I wouldn't use my own voice in my game, but I'd get my friends to all publish voice packs so we can use each others in the game.

That said, it isn't the sort of feature I'd expect. Mostly because it would be the sort of feature that would become some weird advertising campaign in this day and age. So it probably won't be a trivial mod, but who knows, it might still be possible.
Watching Wizard of Oz while listening to Dark Side of the Moon on shuffle.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: August 19, 2012, 02:03:18 am »

Well wouldn't the idea be them making it easy to mod in whole new voice sets? I would love the ability to record some hundred or so voice clips and be able to load them into the game and assign them to a soldier.
This is relevant to your interests. So relevant.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: August 19, 2012, 03:41:54 am »

Uh, yes. Because aside from some slang terms the English spoken over here is not radically different from that spoken in England or Australia. In five hundred years? Who knows? But the folks here insisting that foreigners speak "American" are just as stupid as the people who think everyone in this country is a gun-waving flag-wearing maniac.

AFAIK, before the American Independence, all british people spoke what we now understand as the American dialect. Later, british started their own new accent, with blackjack  and hookers.

I've heard the same thing. But then again, Cracked isn't the most reliable of sources at times.
And Gimlet makes a very good point. Judging voice acting before release isn't good practice. This isn't close to release yet, right? I've been living under a gaming rock for a while now.

Anyways, time for me to play some more X-COM and brush up on my killin' skills.

Not cracked. It was an article published in a website of science, and had sciency science sciencing in it.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: August 19, 2012, 03:47:48 am »

Sounds legit.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: August 19, 2012, 04:32:38 am »

This is a thing of beauty. Truly glorious.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: August 19, 2012, 04:09:02 pm »

This is a thing of beauty. Truly glorious.
It would have been better if he changed the default NPC voices as well, but you can't have everything I suppose.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: August 22, 2012, 03:39:57 pm »

New article by VGW. Not much new info, but it does have a very nice picture of an alien UFO.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: August 22, 2012, 04:02:42 pm »

Oooo, shiny.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: August 22, 2012, 04:03:20 pm »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: August 22, 2012, 04:07:47 pm »

Pardon my ignorance, but do we officially know how missions will work, specifically whether/how random they'll be? I remember that they'll be split into Story and UFO missions, but I don't recall how the UFO side works, if they've said.

Oooo, shiny.
QFT.
And yes, this.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: August 22, 2012, 05:26:40 pm »

I don't like how they have used the name.

This seems like a a perfectly fine game but it's not an XCOM game, it's lack of complexity and combat system makes it more arcade like, I'm not saying it's not going to be a fun game or a good game or a game I will never play, it just doesn't seem like an XCOM game.

Only one base, only 4-6 max on squad, infinite ammo, limited equipment management, no stat improvement (don't quote me on this but just looks like solider's level up and you can choose abilities for them), story driven gameplay, choice dilema's rather then elegant solution (or disastrous expensive fuck up) and I am guessing limited randomness, it looks like pre-made maps.

Fun game perhaps, not an XCOM game though.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 625