Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 962078 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #1305 on: August 16, 2012, 06:24:15 pm »

His job was Room Sweeper
Is that a permanent position? I would have expected them to rotate, since the first person through the door is much more at risk then the other members of his squad. :-\
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

monkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: August 16, 2012, 06:26:24 pm »

those things are just handy, for close encounters.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: August 16, 2012, 06:29:39 pm »

His job was Room Sweeper
Is that a permanent position? I would have expected them to rotate, since the first person through the door is much more at risk then the other members of his squad. :-\

Not sure, but it sounded like he was usually the guy with that position. Of course, I imagine it depended on the job they were doing. Don't really need a Room Sweeper if you're not going into buildings, after all.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: August 16, 2012, 06:30:25 pm »

No, Room-Sweeper is the job of the person who goes into a building first with a shotgun to take out any potential hostiles before the rest of the team goes in. My ex was a marine and I spent a while talking with a buddy of hers who had done several tours of duty in Iraq. His job was Room Sweeper, so I figure he knew what he was talking about.

Which is not to say I'm remembering it all correctly, as that conversation was a good 6 years ago or so.

Not that I disagree with you on the limitations. Seems silly that we're not allowed to arm people however we want, even if specific classes should be better at stuff.

I stand corrected then, as most of my knowledge of the US military is gathered from cinema and video games. :P

And I generally find that skill systems are always always always preferable to class systems. I consider a game like this going with a class system instead of it's predecessors skill system a devolution of mechanics TBH. Not that it can't still be a good game, but the key difference between skill and class systems is that skill systems are all about player agency, and class systems are about the appearance of it.

those things are just handy, for close encounters.

Your movie quote beats my movie quote. You win the quotington. :P

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: August 17, 2012, 04:00:15 am »

I can't remember, has the inventory been abstracted out?  It's not possible for a soldier to drop their shotgun and let someone else pick it up, or to pick up a shotgun from a killed teammate?

There is still an inventory, just not anything like in the original. You do get to equip your troops, but there are a limited number of slots. Want a grenade and remote camera? Gotta choose one. You get to pick the armour, primary weapon, secondary weapon (pistol) and one or two utility slots. Different armours may have a different amount of slots. There hasn't been any talk about changing your inventory during mission, so that might be out. Just like base defense is, which I found disappointing.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: August 17, 2012, 04:29:35 am »

So you have unlimited ammo? Or are there extra Slots for ammo?
I always liked how I had to decide if I really need to use the explosive ammo on that first alien, because I only have 8 rounds in my Gascannon.
Oh, and does anyone know if it is possible to switch ammo midmission?

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: August 17, 2012, 04:42:47 am »

So you have unlimited ammo? Or are there extra Slots for ammo?
I always liked how I had to decide if I really need to use the explosive ammo on that first alien, because I only have 8 rounds in my Gascannon.
Oh, and does anyone know if it is possible to switch ammo midmission?

You have unlimited magazines during a mission, but you still have to reload your gun. That'll take a turn. I have no idea if there still is explosive ammo or incendiary ammo. They might be, but may be limited to using a support slot. So, no confirmed ammo or ammo-swithing at this time.
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: August 17, 2012, 04:51:08 am »

Double-post!

Kotaku has another article going a bit more into getting attached to your soldiers.
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: August 17, 2012, 07:42:58 am »

Double-post!

Kotaku has another article going a bit more into getting attached to your soldiers.

I have a distinct feeling that I've read that one before. Isn't it linked somewhere earlier in this thread?

Not that it matters much, though, it's a pretty good article.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Marrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: August 17, 2012, 08:36:13 am »

i dont see wwhy anyone who liked the original X-coms would be excited about that :/

it looks like prettymuch the only thing it has in common with the originals is the name and that theres aliens.

i mean, it could still be good (the gameplay videos looked pretty terrible though to be honest) but it seems like they dumbed it down a lot, and it wasnt exactly super complex to begin with

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: August 17, 2012, 12:44:23 pm »

they removed a lot of nuisances too, and added some interesting system for training and perks. it may make sense or it may feel too much gamey, but that only time will tell.

personally, I hate games without any possibility of emergent behaviours, but there is hope in this one.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: August 17, 2012, 12:58:32 pm »

I hope modders will be able to make this one good. :)

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: August 17, 2012, 01:25:52 pm »

Meh, all sizzle no steak. The demo looks ridiculous though with the Indian heavy weapons guy firing his rocket launcher and then speaking American. I then find out that you can customize everything about the soldiers, looks, name, nationality and to me that makes the soldiers less human, they seem less human then the bad-stat guys in the original who I would name Fodder for them to act as my "room sweeper" :P

Well at least this means I can give everyone the blonde guile hair to relive the original.

Also interesting how they have a satellite radar dish being 2 slots underground, makes great sense.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: August 17, 2012, 01:48:39 pm »

Meh, all sizzle no steak. The demo looks ridiculous though with the Indian heavy weapons guy firing his rocket launcher and then speaking American. I then find out that you can customize everything about the soldiers, looks, name, nationality and to me that makes the soldiers less human, they seem less human then the bad-stat guys in the original who I would name Fodder for them to act as my "room sweeper" :P
I believe you can go with random as well. I forget if there's random stats or not, though.

Also interesting how they have a satellite radar dish being 2 slots underground, makes great sense.
Radars were underground in the original as well. I guess you could have assumed they had holes above them or something, but at that point I'd think it easier to just assume they work fine underground.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: August 17, 2012, 04:09:55 pm »

I believe you can go with random as well. I forget if there's random stats or not, though.

Radars were underground in the original as well. I guess you could have assumed they had holes above them or something, but at that point I'd think it easier to just assume they work fine underground.

Not 2 levels underground, no possibility for some hole above them, in fact you have to be pretty worried if they work fine underground and have people walking over them...

sure you can have random soldiers (im sure you buy em random as well) but what's the point of giving them nationalities if your going to give em generic american voice, might as well switch all flags to USA.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 625