Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1838420 times)

Draevos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

- All fuel/coke producing reactions are untouched, because of logic. If everything makes 4 times as much bars, then you need 4 times less coal to make the same amount of bars. And since coal drops only

Not true. 34.09 has the coal updated, because making coke is a (cue big font) reaction and not a smelting job.

That's an artifact left from the old changelog. If you read a few posts back you'll see he increased the coke yield. At for the next version. Not sure about the current one for .08
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 05:55:53 pm by Draevos »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution

You know I think the diseases might be a bit unbalanced. A migrant wave comes in, next thing you know everybody is vomiting or going into a rage or both! If one or two people started then it slowly spread then you might have a chance to build the right ward or chain up the rage victims. First time I got rage all but 3 of my dudes went berserk and the fortress fell.

The current system seems too simple, everybody gets sick, no time to build a ward and it happens too frequently. I build wells and have soap but that doesn't seem to help. If it wasn't for DFHack 'clean all' command I'd be cleaning vomit up for the next year! 

*edit*

yeah, no, I think I'll be turning diseases off now and starting a new world again. 3rd time in 3 years I've got rage flu and it's not fun, I built the wards but it didn't help, still got people vomiting from last season and now this again? It just happens too often and there isn't really much you can do about it so I'm not enjoying it.
Solution

Infected dwarves can't pass the disese on until a day after first syntomes. up the START of the CAN_DO_INTERACTION, also have a secondary syndrom that lasts from  1-2 years making them immune (immune system fought it off and strengthened) then in about 2 years gets infected with a stronger one (think the flu)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile

Ignore this post.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

just downloaded and started playing the .08 changes, and you forgot to take out the cheating is fun and landmine test from the still, Meph :P.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile

Yay! Cheating!
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile

Sorry for the double post, but I just have a generall question, and it has been a while since I asked that directly:

Do you, the community, like where the mod is going ? Do you like the latest changes, from 1.7 to 1.9 ? What is good, what is bad, what would you have done differently ? Anything you like to see added, changed ?

Some thoughts based on lots of play of MW up to 34.07, all just IMHO:
- mithril is a little too easy to accumulate.  I can usually get a squad outfitted in welded mithril helmet/breastplate/weapon by end of 2nd year, usually by scouring the caravans and demanding mithril anvils and the like. 
- for that matter, steel is so easy that I don't bother with leather armor, which is a shame as the new leather options are kinda cool.  Bronze is completely pointless I believe.  Ditto for gem weapons and everything else, it just gets skipped because steel is so easy.
- speaking of, not a fan of the 1 pig iron + lotsa flux => many steel bars reaction.  Just feels like cheat mode.  Flux is everywhere.
- dislike the Harder Smelting.  Guys running around coughing blood everywhere is irritating.  I'd turn it back on if it were something like dwarves randomly passing out or something, but the blood everywhere is just visually distracting.  Blood on the floor in the game should mean 'Oh Shit Something's Wrong', not something that I can't do anything about and have to use dfhack every season to mop up.
- love the Tears of Armok.  Fun, adds new element to mining and fort design.
- love Fear the Night so far.  Had a megabeast werewolf show up, and only a couple dozen silver bolts.  It made the mistake of running through my mastiff training zone, where it instantly knocked the head off the first mastiff it saw, then proceeded to be overwhelmed with mastiffs latching on to every body part the ww owned - it couldn't make any attacks, all it could do was 'break the grip' endlessly until, 20 pages later, it was exhausted.  16 pages later, my melee dwarves finally penetrated its noggin and lopped off the head with a steel axe.  Which was interesting, because up to that point the silver bolts were the only thing doing any real damage to it.  But is Fear the Night responsible for stuff like Gingerbread Man?  That's a little silly, although I don't mind, its kinda amusing. 
- I have secrets turned off.  Matter of taste, but once there's a 100+ dwarves its already distracting enough keeping track of the announcements.
- Crucible name always confuses me - every reaction there has 'hammering', yet a crucible is a melting pot!  Maybe 'Hammerworks'?  I keep going to the Crucible to access the new smelting options (which I then remember are at the Metallurgist...).
- Hematite produces 1 coarse iron, but tetrahedrite is worth 1 coarse iron and 1 copper... kind of odd that tetrahedrite is the 'best' common ore over all.
- I like the bifrost addition.  Harder metal being tied to a hard race is a good idea.
- I'm really doubtful about the volcanic metal addition.  It sounds too good, and too easy to make.  Steel is already easier than classic DF in this mod, blocks are easy, about the only limiting factor for volcanic is the dig-to-the-magma-sea part.  The mats couldn't get easier...
- love the brewing reactions for specific drinks
- platinum essences I think are a tad overpowered and a little messy - I love the concept, but making legendary dodgers out of my dwarves makes combat too EZ mode early on - possible to reduce the XP gain to something a little less super?  Also, I have to isolate the research lab behind a door and lock it when my test subject goes in, in order to prevent haulers from hauling residue out to the stone stockpiles, which apparently then ruins the "get rid of residue" reaction.  Some tuning required here!
- Speaking of monsters in combat - starting attributes for legionnaires/berzerkers are really high, can they be made a little less super?
- turret prices seem good.  I like the metagame it now involves - do I produce the goods early to purchase them, which ramps up fort value quickly, triggering sieges?  Or do I lay low, keep fort value down, and pass on those lovely web turrets...
- I like scarecrows and stone decoys.  They add nice tactical options, yet aren't so tough.  Good balance.
- love the crematorium for getting rid of vermin and body parts, its a reaction I've personally added into every DF game I play.
- iridium is cool.  My first iridium breastplate artifact was a real moment of joy.  Of course, your first iridium artifact has a tendency to quadruple the fort value, but that's still fun.

My overall feeling about balance is that it is too easy to outpace the "easy" invaders with regards to weaponry and armor, as MW is easier than DF when it comes to arming up early on.  Tetrahedrite is everywhere, and there always seems to be a flux stone layer, so really I feel like my only limiting factor at times is supplying the charcoal.  I can understand it is necessary however for the later invaders, but I have to wonder if it is possible to push the "arms race" out further, time-wise, so I'm not facing my first goblin siege with welded-mithril/steel-clad dwarves.  Not sure what to suggest, aside from removing mithril from traders (or making it hyper-expensive?).   Volcanic I fear will further worsen the problem - perhaps if its production was tied to items that fell from medium-difficulty races?

Criticism aside, love all the options and the mod in general, as it gives me so many new corners of the game to explore and try.  Fortress Defense was already my favorite way of adding difficulty to this game, and this mod adds more detail on top of that. 

As for future of the mod, I'd personally love to see workshops condensed as much as possible, and play-balancing. 
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Oh, *enter swear word here* really ? Here is the "cheatless" entity file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/60111839/entity_default.txt Just copy this into your objects/raw folder. Or cheat as you like, do a quick testrun these next 1-2 days, and wait for the 34.09 version ;)

How in hell did I manage to leave that in ? There is always this little something I forget. I guess the linux/mac versions have it as well, cant do much about those.

@werdna: Will go through your post and answer a bit later.

EDIT: Ok, here we go: Everything you can produce in a reaction the dwarven caravan gets as well. There is no way to disable this, since you are both the same entity, the same civ. If you can make slademantine, then so can they. And in worldgen the reaction ignore all reagents, so without access to adamantine, the dwarven civ still has unlimited slademantine to trade. I cant balance this. I would love to, but I cant. Buying Mithril early from traders will ramp up your fort value, and that should lead to more invasions.

So what you say is that the new metals are too easy to make, mostly be trading I presume. And you think the volcanic is unbalanced. The thing is: I mostly do balancing by the reports I get. If people say it is too easy, I make it harder, if people say it is too hard, I make it easier. The diseases for example, those I will trim down for the 34.09 release. As I often say: You are the test players. I got 5 reports about diseases being unbalanced, so I will work on the issue, develope a better system, and in the meantime turn them OFF by default. I did leave them ON by default so far, so I do get more test reports ;)

Tetrahide should produce less coarse_iron you say ? But yeah, I did mod the game in a way that each embark should have iron and flux. The gingerbread men are from dwarf chocolate btw ;) The leather upgrades are mostly for people who want to play surface fort only, without mining. And again, you gave me a report about harder smelting being to hard. People seem to think that way, purely because there is no way to avoid the accidents. It seems that I can add stuff that is as hard as I like, as long as I give you a counter-measurement. But as soon as something cant be handled, it is disliked.

Thanks for the long report. :)

Uh, and: (Read 125000 times), Yeah.

EDIT: So I will rethink the diseases and harder smelting, as well as maybe a more difficulties in obtaining iron, steel and high tech metals. The volcanic is for example completely untested, I am curious what you guys will make of it.

Do you, the community, like where the mod is going ? Do you like the latest changes, from 1.7 to 1.9 ? What is good, what is bad, what would you have done differently ? Anything you like to see added, changed ?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 06:38:08 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile

Congrats, 125000 reads! Best mod ever!

Edited, now knowing the facts.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 06:42:01 pm by tahujdt »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Please bear in mind that this mod wouldnt exist without deon and narhiril. And many other people ;) Deon gave me the entire genesis code to play around with, and narhiril is a witch (as in female mage, nothing negative intended) with interactions.

EDIT: Based on werdnas feedback here some changes:

- Tetrahide no longer ore of iron and rarer.
 - Hematite now only ore of iron and more common.
 - Disease bearing dwarves popratio lowered from 45 to 8. 6 times more rare now.
 - Compat peat now appears in clay in small clusters.
 - Antracite now appears in granite as veins, and in all other rock layers as small clusters.
 - Harder Smelting is roughly 3 times less aggresive now. 3 times less accidents.
 - Crucible Steel making has been nerfed.
 - Added silver bars as a last ingredient to "volcanic"
   - Just imagine it. A metal made of steel, silver, obsidian and slade. How it must look. :)

The new crucible steel making:

EDIT: @werdna: The skill aether = legendary skill will be changed in the future, when I overhaul the creature research lab. I want every megabeast to drop something specific to the creature. The fractures would remain for hard enemies that you come along on the way.  A minotaur for example should give legendary wrestling skill, but a dragon should give fireimmunity, and a bronze colossus a bronze skin. The only bad thing about this is that it relies on transformations, so I might have to abandon that idea and go for something else. Bronze Colossus dropping "bronze colossus fists" which can be used as a dual-wield weapons, similar to overpowered knuckle-dusters ? :)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 08:18:16 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Your dwarfs are quite the metalurgists with those composits. Won't be long till they start developing carbon fiber, nanotubes etc :p

anyways.. the linux/mac pages you have on DFFD LIE:

Masterwork Dwarf Fortress - this is the MacOs Version.

Short summary

+100 optional Settings. Never play the same game twice. Settings program. (GUI) < wrong

Includes stonesense, dfhack, dfFusion, stonesense and (patched) dwarf therapist. < wrong

You should remove this from the linux/mac pages.. at least untill we actually get those things working in the linux/mac versions.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

You know, you are right. Is fixed.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This mod, needs Toady to put on mainpage.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Then he could also post LFR and Genesis, and the LNP...and DwarfBuilder for Mac... were would you draw the line ? I never spoke to the man, and I would guess that he would dislike most of the changes I did, most of all the standardization of the materials. And cannibalistic, slaving dwarves.

PS: If you want to do advertisement, just copy the link I have at the bottom of the first post into your signature... the amounts of posts you do in this forum should bring hundrets of people here :P

EDIT: Oh, and speaking of the frontpage: I did change all the utilitiy names to links to their mainthread. Just a little change. I think the first post looks ok now as it is. Wouldnt really know what else to change.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 09:23:16 pm by Meph »

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

30 per day! And I never noticed that.

PS: I dont understand the sickness you speak of, is it some sydrome that a invisable unkillable vermin spreads?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

What sickness ? I guess you mean the plagues, I added 8 different diseases that migrants can bring in, but the entire system should be considered alpha.

EDIT: -snip- tileset removed again, because it doesnt work like I want it to. Argh.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 11:01:47 pm by Meph »
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 749