Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1836692 times)

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.7.1 NEW: Trade System & Armor Sets
« Reply #3405 on: April 11, 2012, 08:37:13 am »

The war elephants and their weapons are a Fortres Defence problem, I will check with darkflagrance... rest looks good, nice reports.

Meph, check this earlier post for a proposed fix, hopefully that works.

Goblins seem a bit overpowerd though, since they sometimes carry steel, are trapavoid, and arrive as the first enemies... What do you say, nerf Goblins a bit, make them trap-affected again ?

Yeah, definitely tone that down... with orcs on by default, there ought to be a clear step up in difficulty between the races.  In fact, maybe remove trap-avoid from gobbos and hand it to the orcs.  This keeps gobbos the way we remember them in classic DF, and the nasty trap-avoid orcs are also familiar to those of us that have played the popular Orcs mod (which is incidentally the mod that taught me to play without traps altogether in DF).
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 08:39:08 am by Werdna »
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

lewtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: April 11, 2012, 12:13:34 pm »

Pregen World Config Question:

Why it I can not seem to ever get FLUX stone on the Garden of Gia world gen?  I really like this gen, but would like to be able to get FLUX on it.  Correct me if I am wrong.  Without Flux I can never mine hematite or the ores needed for iron/steel correct?  B/c I am fairly newb to DF and that is one thing I have never been able to find/do.

Cusi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: April 11, 2012, 12:34:01 pm »

Why it I can not seem to ever get FLUX stone on the Garden of Gia world gen?  I really like this gen, but would like to be able to get FLUX on it.  Correct me if I am wrong.  Without Flux I can never mine hematite or the ores needed for iron/steel correct?  B/c I am fairly newb to DF and that is one thing I have never been able to find/do.

Easiest way for flux imo when no stones ... .grind up those vermin in the kitchen! Need no bones, just remains. Cleans up the fort too :) You can mine iron without flux stone, you just can't make steel without flux. Below is a picture with the task is your more visual.

Can't seem to get the link to show as image, so here is link: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7J21MaOfUcETlc5cllUUmIycFE/edit

Also, is it odd that a child is working? They are four years old and siege savant, which I think is why they are doing this ... just wondering, I mean I am completely fine with child labor introduced into the mod, but wondering if it is intended.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 12:39:33 pm by Cusi »

Lockesly L`Crit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: April 11, 2012, 12:54:06 pm »

I have a love/hate relationship with Slade Turrets. On one hand, they are awesome if you stick them in a guard tower with fortifications. On the other, they make quite a mess if their missiles hit the edge of the map. I have have of my fortress running around the entire map on Cleaning duty just cleaning up the "slade."
And another problem, I guess inherently with the LIQUID_GLOB, is that the "slade" counts as Fat/Tallow. I got really annoyed with swarms of flies hanging around my kitchen because of all the leftover tallow there, so I made a Fat/Tallow stockpile. Worked great until my damn turrets started firing. The "slade" is no longer cleaned up but rather carried to the stockpile. This is grossly inefficient of my dwarves, as cleaning clears out 9 tiles around them, but picking them up an carrying them only deals with one tile. And they still have to clean the "slade" once it reaches my stockpile.
The main problem I have with it is that the "slade" doesn't register in any of the stockpile options, so there's no way of selectively turning it off. It's the same with clay, bonemeal, and cave fungus; they act like boulders, but will go to any Stone stockpile no matter what options you have set.

This is a vanilla DF bug. You cant search for flux when embarking. But just because you cant search for it doesn't mean it's not there. Plus, you can always turn bones and such into bonemeal at the kitchen (part of the Masterwork mod), which acts as a flux.
Plus, if you embark on a Metamorphic layer instead of a Sedimentary layer, you wont need Steel. You can find good stuff like Gold, Tetrahedrite, and Wolframite. 3 Gold Bars + 1 Copper Bar + Metallurgist = 4 Rose Gold Bar. 1 Rose Gold Bar + 1 Wolfram Bar (make them at the Arc Furnace) = 1 Welded Wolfram Bar. These babies are MUCH better than Steel in every way (except edged weaponry). They are also worth more than Platinum if you want to trade away your useless crap.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: April 11, 2012, 01:00:16 pm »

Just had the shock of my life.
 My proficient military (4 dwarves) armed in full bronze was just decimated by a kobold thief sporting a meteroic dagger.

Note to self never engage thieves with melee dwarves

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: April 11, 2012, 02:34:05 pm »

Anyone else notice the game ignoring your pop cap  set it with masterwork and in the int file!

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: April 11, 2012, 02:37:06 pm »

I am running a Garden of Gaia fort right now and have tons of flux (limestone and marble), so you might have simply been unlucky with your embarks.  As previous posters mentioned, you can get flux in a few new ways, like grinding bones and what not. 

I had that Slade problem on an earlier fort as well. 
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Lockesly L`Crit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: April 11, 2012, 02:53:41 pm »

Anyone else notice the game ignoring your pop cap  set it with masterwork and in the int file!

It's not a Masterwork problem. It's a DF thing. Immigration always puts you above the cap.

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: April 11, 2012, 02:57:25 pm »

Just had the shock of my life.
 My proficient military (4 dwarves) armed in full bronze was just decimated by a kobold thief sporting a meteroic dagger.

Note to self never engage thieves with melee dwarves

hug and kiss therapy doesn't work with kobold thieves, were they weilding nerf hammers or something? wrestlers?

you always get 2 immmigrant waves, and for example if you do redicliously well with wealth and whatnot and need 1 more dwarf to hit your pop cap you set. you can get a wave of 20+ dwarves for that 1 spot

with simplified metals on and in the gaia world. i'd say about 95% of embarks have flux stone, and Tetrahydrite is the primary source of iron with the simplified version on, and EVERY embark has that,

and theres bonemeal reaction in the kitchen other people mentioned, vermin make 1. bones make 5, carefull not to overdo it >:)

and get those bonemeal boulders out of the kitchen and far far away from your masons and craftdwarves shops. i really hate it when my artifacts get made out of it >.>

Easiest way for flux imo when no stones ... .grind up those vermin in the kitchen! Need no bones, just remains. Cleans up the fort too :) You can mine iron without flux stone, you just can't make steel without flux. Below is a picture with the task is your more visual.

Can't seem to get the link to show as image, so here is link: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7J21MaOfUcETlc5cllUUmIycFE/edit

Also, is it odd that a child is working? They are four years old and siege savant, which I think is why they are doing this ... just wondering, I mean I am completely fine with child labor introduced into the mod, but wondering if it is intended.

IIRC masterwork makes dwarf children grow up at age 4, otherwise you -can- set them to work in the options of dwarf therapist, you cant do it normally, so its considered cheating...

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: April 11, 2012, 03:06:20 pm »

Weird I was over my pop cap and a wave still turned up oh well long as it doesnt keep happening

Lockesly L`Crit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: April 11, 2012, 04:40:07 pm »

A megabeast came in my third year. I didn't even have a military by then. I burrowed all my dwarves, pulled the drawbridge lever, and let my fully-fortified slade turrets go to town. Ten seconds later, it was dead. Say something, hater!
That sexy, sexy legendary skill essence is MINE!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3416 on: April 11, 2012, 05:02:58 pm »

About mod: Child savants do work, yes, they come with the affected savant skills enabled. Not intentional, was done by Today when he changed that, but I like it.

I will move trapavoid from goblins to orcs, nerf hornets... turrets are fine as they are, if enemy arches cant take them out you would win every time... I also made a burn scrapwood reactions, both for smelter and arc furnace. I will do some arena testing with the blunt weapons, anyone could guess why slade mauls are not as effective as they should be ?  I also notived that a statue uses 9 (!) bars to make. Wow, I was under the impression that is was 3. I have to rebalance the magic reactions then, you would need 18 adamantine wafers to make ONE shapeshifter unit then, and they only last 10 days. My test fort is running great, I had a wereelk in my migrants that was killed by a migrating master crossbowman while being distracted by a berserker child. Fun. I can also report that the padded armor pieces are all working, my entire military is running around in steel armor, leather padded armor and mithril weapons.

Will think of some tradegoods for the drow, to make them more useful. Maybe the new pet-system will enable me to split up the pets a bit better, giving drow unique cavern pets. Should work.

Two things I noticed after playing the first time with clothes:
- Fully armored dwarves get negative thoughts if they have no normal clothing ? Is that correct ? See poll... I had a very angry military, fully decked out in steel armor and leather padded armor, but most of them had "embarassed because of blabla..."
 - Fire is much more dangerous. Formerly dwarves could walk through it or get hit by firebreath and survive with injuries, burns and motlen fat. Now the clothing catches fire, and the dwarf dies in the heat. I will certainly lower the amount of flaming skulls a bit, they took out 5 of my military, but they should be easy enemies.

EDIT:
-ELEPHANTS REWRITTEN
-Elephants and Warwolves should equip armor more regularly
-Elephants and Warwolves have lower natural skills
-Elephants now use weapons and have new bodyparts
This is from the fortress defense thread, problem was that elephants had no grasp bodypart and could not wield weapons.

Changelog currently looks like this:
 - Fixed batch reaction for gold furniture, now takes ore/boulder as planned.
 - Added silver and bone furniture set reactions.
 - Made other batch furniture reaction accept only non-economic stone.
 - Same for fishpond, tech research and magma-safe workshop, non-economic only.
 - Added new tradegood: silk clothing and 5 special plants (elf only)
   - Insomnium gives NO_SLEEP for several months.
   - Philosophum gives NO_AGING for ever.
   - Norrium gives NO_PAIN, NO_FEAR and a boost to strength for a short time.
   - Cure-All gives 25% disease resistance for a few months.
   - Siplhium gives STERILE for ever.
 - You can order these at elven caravans and brew drinks from these plants.
 - Moved all "open crates" reaction to the storage unit building.
 - Added burn scrapwood to charcoal to smelter and a batch version to the blast furnace.
 - Removed giant rat, giant olm, large rat, giant mole, cave croc and giant cave swallow from embark selection.
 - Added 5 special plants to drow tradegoods, only flavor. (same plants can be found in 3rd cavern)
 - Added crates of muskets, rifles, flintlocks, pistols, small bullets and large bullets to humans tradegoods.
 - Lowered frequency and penetrate power of optional vermin

About the trip: Thanks, I know Honduras and Tegucigalpa, not my first time here. Will pass throught the south and then to copan, before making my way to puerto barrios and catch a boat to belize. The dollars I lost(disappeared/stolen (?) range between 300-500, dont know exactly. Was 10 days since I checked my cash stack. And after 5 years of travelling I can life without those initations, I know the drill ;)

EDIT2: Just wanted to upload 1.7.1 for mac, and the internet here just gives fuck-all. 8 days to upload 45mb ? ^^

Another Edit: Man, I was laughing so hard...

A Shadowmancer migrant seemed to turn the tides, he killed off a goblin siege almost single handedly, but then he helped set up the WORST dwarven hospital i've ever seen.  Not only did no patients survive, but he'd raise them from the dead, kill them again, and throw them in a unmarked mass grave.  Later he got a vampire nurse as an assistant.  Together they must have killed about 25 patients.  They eventually went down to a seige with multiple elite bowgoblins, so overall i'll call this fort a success.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 05:23:53 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: April 11, 2012, 05:49:26 pm »

Did you figure out what was wrong with slaves? Because I could embark with them if I set them to common_domestic.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: April 12, 2012, 12:40:26 am »

any chance of having an option for animal people?
all they seem to be is fodder/training dummys for the militia while keeping decent wildlife out

btw cave fungus cheese is fairly rare and only gives 1 cheese per rock, half the time i atom smash it, the other half it's near the start and the little food helps
think i can safely say i've dug up less than 30 cave cheese.. they also have a lighter color to them than the non-cheese cave fungus walls

haven't tried any meat from the living rock but i usually stay away from digging it

turning domestic pets off turns mastiffs off but not armored mastiffs, not sure if there's other armored pets though

the elves seem to only get spirit hunters, maybe i'm just unlucky

i modded the drows to always have broods from making a caste transform into them, they always have them and no one else will/should
maybe you could do the same and add concubines, as it stands concubines don't seem to be doing there part when you're the only fort left : /

the goblins also seem to be fine aside from how early they attack and the strength they use
2nd year, 6 ambush squads with a couple giant drow spiders and a cave croc... maybe i'm just lucky in this aspect

favorite part of this mod is the many beasts it has :D
almost to many megabeasts if you ever want a breeding pair though

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: April 12, 2012, 02:28:17 am »

Weirdness in my playing:

I embarked and the first thing that happened was one of my armored mastiffs crushed a miner's hand.  Two years later, he got treatment in my new hospital.  I guess he just swung left-handed until then.  One of the migrants came with a concubine as his pet.  Not a huge problem except that she was a child.  That's right, I got visited by pedodwarf.

The next time I embarked, no mastiffs.  One of my miners was immediately attacked by one of my frill lizards.  Yes, a freakin' frill lizard bit him, breaking the bones in his foot and causing him to black out from the pain.  While he was out, it went in for the kill, tearing open his skull and feasting upon his brains.

Okay.  That pretty well scrubbed that embark.  Fastest tantrum spiral I've EVER had. 

I've noted that most of my dwarves (even Legion ones) tend to gain military skills very slowly.  Like, dabbling in all skills by the third year of training, even with a few fights under their belts.  So when I got a necromancer spy, I walled him in with a lot of food and drink, waited until he turned, then surrounded his enclosure with a big refuse pile and carved fortifications.  Yes, he did begin to raise the dead.

The spellcaster race in general is kinda odd.  Sometimes they're tough as hell, but once they encountered a dead creature (probably tigerman) on the way into my fort, and the necromancer raised it.  It immediately attacked all the others, who all let fly with their special attacks - attacks which apparently none of their companions are immune to.  When the smoke cleared, there were three spellcasters still standing, but only because they were all undead.

I set up a hellfire turret right by the bridge that leads into my fort.  This led to an unexpected effect.  Turns out hellfire will destroy bridges.  I didn't plan for that (this time), but I can imagine creating an appropriate 'reception area' in a constructed chasm below.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 02:34:18 am by Talanic »
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 749