Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we use generic currency, or unique currencies?

I think we should use generic currency.
- 0 (0%)
I think we should use original currencies the way Araph listed them.
- 4 (80%)
I think we should use original currencies, but with a conversion rate of 100:10:1
- 1 (20%)
I think we should use original currencies, but with a simpler conversion rate (post your ideas if you chose this).
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16

Author Topic: Super Happy Tabletop RPG: The Trials of Testing (Warning: Misleading Name)  (Read 17811 times)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Super Happy Tabletop RPG: The Trials of Testing
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2011, 12:07:18 am »

I was working under the assumption that +4 would be the max starting bonus. I'll grab my sheet and change it since Araph wants +6 to be the max for starting attributes.

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

Uh... I thought I changed that... Now I'm confused...

Executive decision! As of now, you can put a max of 10 points into any given attribute. This would lead to a maximum modifier of +4. The actual attribute score would be 8. Sorry about the miscommunication.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2011, 12:12:58 am »

Ok then. I'll change it back to the way it was. -_-

EDIT: I'll include the focuses in my sheet at the bottom of page 5.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 12:17:02 am by The Fool »

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2011, 12:14:12 am »

A few questions:
  • Is dexterity important for hand-to-hand fighting, or something else?
  • Does the block skill get used only for shields, or for hand-to-hand type blocks?
  • Have you decided if race will affect attributes yet?
Spoiler: Char Sheet (click to show/hide)
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2011, 12:20:47 am »

Dexterity is used for precise movements such as lock picking, instrument playing, and surgery.

Agility would probably cover hand to hand fighting due to you need to move your hands quickly.

We should write skill descriptions to prevent further questions on what skills cover what.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2011, 12:34:54 am »

Dexterity is used for, as The Fool said, lock picking and whatnot. Also like The Fool said, agility affects things like attacks (when using hand-to-hand and lighter weapons), blocking (when using a weapon, but not a shield), dodging, and balance. It dictates a few other things, but those are the big ones for combat. Most other combat skills use strength, such as with heavy weapons, blocking (but only when using a shield), and damage rolls.

Sorry about the lack of skill descriptions, I'll do as many as I can tomorrow.

About your other questions, Gatleos, hand to hand can't block weapon attacks. It only is a defensive skill in regard to other hand to hand attacks, though it potentially will be capable of deflecting other attacks. Races will affect attributes, yes. I'm debating whether or not to go with DnD style +2, -2 effects or if I'm going to get fancy with +1, +1, +1, -1, -1, -1 modifiers. I'd prefer using the + and - ones, but that may drive some races too firmly into certain roles. I may set them up so that it is a more even spread amongst physical and mental attributes.

You seem to have a few extra skill points, also. You get 20 skill points to spend freely, as well as 6 to spend in your primary focus' skills. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you have 36 points spent.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 12:37:17 am by Araph »

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2011, 12:44:36 am »

If you want help creating/balancing races I'd be happy to help. I can write something up about the Fallen, but I need to know about the world mythology to write something. What I mainly need to know is if there are any exiled deities.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2011, 12:50:48 am »

Oops. I could have sworn you changed it to 30 at some point. I chose two mental skills... will those two be relevant at all for my character?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2011, 12:56:26 am »

I've been wondering about the charisma stat, specifically whether it's 'appearance' or 'force of personality,' and how it relates to races. Most fantasy games give elves a bonus to charisma because elves are supposed to be more attractive and whatnot, while also stating it's the latter case. Then they give orcs a malus 'cause they're ugly. So my idea here would be to invert it. Orcs/half-orcs are large, powerful people who are used to getting their way and filling a room with their presence, so they should have a charisma bonus. Dwarves would get a slightly smaller bonus due to their stubborn nature. Humans, as the standard, wouldn't get a change. Elves would have a small malus because they are slight people and they'd have to overcome their physical appearance to project their will on others (I'm talking about non-magically, of course).

Just my random musings on the subject, anyway.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2011, 11:51:32 am »

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

I'm pretty sure that's all legal. Also, which attribute would be best applied to Archery? Personally, I believe it takes aspects from Strength (To draw the bow) and Dexterity (to aim).

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2011, 12:06:03 pm »

Can i still join? I've never played any kind of table top so... i don't know if that's a good thing or not.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2011, 12:32:55 pm »

Maybe their should be two social attributes; charisma and presence. Each affects different skills, and sometimes both may give bonuses or a bonus and a penalty to checks.

I'd go with strength for archery. As a person who practiced archery as a hobby, I'd say the biggest problem with accuracy is consistency; keeping the same draw distance and keeping the same form. Strength fits best in my mind. Your character sheet looks fine, too.

Can i still join? I've never played any kind of table top so... i don't know if that's a good thing or not.
Feel free to join! It's not a problem if you haven't played any tabletop RPGs before.

Oops. I could have sworn you changed it to 30 at some point. I chose two mental skills... will those two be relevant at all for my character?
Due to the lack of skill descriptions, I hadn't said this yet; knowledge, survival, and vocational skills encompass multiple skills. Like how DnD has knowledge, craft, and profession skills listed as Skill(Sub-category), this game has a similar mechanic. That way their doesn't have to be a huge list of knowledge skills separated from each other.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 02:24:28 pm by Araph »

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Super Happy Tabletop RPG: The Trials of Testing (Warning: Misleading Name)
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2011, 03:40:00 pm »

Are we helping with the world building at all?

We can have Karmina, the rebellious deity of seafaring vessels. :P Though in all seriousness it might speed things up.

What kind of things did you want to be affected by leveling up in a class? I wouldn't mind making a class or two over the next couple days. BTW the spell backfire table needs a header that says what it is.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2011, 04:30:20 pm »

I based my character off the guy i'm playing in skyrim so I don't know how it'll turn out.
They're Pretty much a armor wearing, sword wielding enchanter. I'm thinking they'll cast a spell that lights their sword on fire then they hit you with it. But mostly they sell enchanted weapons, armor and trinkets. That kind of thing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 09:59:59 pm by Monkeyfacedprickleback »

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2011, 05:05:41 pm »

Spoiler: Making mah sheet now (click to show/hide)

Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2011, 05:07:30 pm »

Spoiler: Making mah sheet now (click to show/hide)

Your character CAN'T STOP CUTTING HIMSELF!
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16