Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we use generic currency, or unique currencies?

I think we should use generic currency.
- 0 (0%)
I think we should use original currencies the way Araph listed them.
- 4 (80%)
I think we should use original currencies, but with a conversion rate of 100:10:1
- 1 (20%)
I think we should use original currencies, but with a simpler conversion rate (post your ideas if you chose this).
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Super Happy Tabletop RPG: The Trials of Testing (Warning: Misleading Name)  (Read 17747 times)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've just gotten a game I've been working on to a semi-playable state. Now I need some brave volunteers to help me test it out! It's sorta like an amalgam of D&D, Dwarf Fortress, and The Elder Scrolls stuffed into a confusing text document. If anyone of the fine folks frequenting the forums feel fine about playing in the game's first campaign ever, I'd appreciate it.

Since I haven't actually made the campaign world yet, it's sort of up to the players to decide what they want the setting to be like. However, the game is different than a typical DnD game, and, as such, the campaign will play different than most ones you're used to.

A few key differences from DnD in the game are the combat system, the magic system, and the leveling system. Combat is more like DF combat than DnD combat; single attacks can be deadly even if you are at a high level. The wrestling system is more developed than in D&D, so you'll have to actually give your attacks a bit of thought as opposed to simply hacking away at the enemy until it's dead. Healing magic is practically nonexistent, and divine magic in general can (mostly) only be found in legendary artifacts and such. Casting spells isn't a sure thing, either; you need to use spells trickily to be an effective mage, since you won't be able to through massive fireballs around willy-nilly. Instead of a Vancian magic system, you can cast as many spells as you want. However, if you do cast spells, they may blow up in your face or have some other negative effect. As for leveling, you level up through roleplaying and leveling skills, as opposed to killing things. Perk trees (that are currently in-progress, but not listed in the Google Docs page) give you bonuses for both individual skills and more general character related bonuses. They're divided into skill perks and level perks.

If you have suggestions for spells for the spell list, perks for perk trees, or base classes, please post them in this thread. Anything in the table of contents with a <------------ next to it on Google Docs is something I'm hoping the players (or people who think this game has potential) will help me in filling out. Any suggestions for the game would be appreciated in either thread.

Finally, when the game starts, I'll be ironing out problems or imbalances. Please be patient about delays; I'm not the best at rapidly scanning through pages of text and editing bits of it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 02:32:05 pm by Araph »

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Re: New Tabletop RPG, Taking It For a Test Run
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 06:15:05 pm »

Sure, I'll join. I skimmed over some of the rules and it looks interesting.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 06:33:16 pm »

Reserved, Looking if it seems like a cool thing to try.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 06:34:47 pm »

I'd join (if only because you seperated Agi and Dex), but I'm already in too many games as is.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 06:37:13 pm »

DF style combat? I'm sold. Give me some time to look over the system, but for now I'm reserving.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 07:10:36 pm »

I'd join (if only because you seperated Agi and Dex), but I'm already in too many games as is.
Good to see someone else appreciates the subtle nuances of attributes! :P

DF style combat? I'm sold. Give me some time to look over the system, but for now I'm reserving.
At the moment, it's a bit crude; trying to balance the complexities of DF's combat with the limitations of not being computers will take some time and testing.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 07:26:20 pm »

At the moment, it's a bit crude; trying to balance the complexities of DF's combat with the limitations of not being computers will take some time and testing.

That's what we're here for, so I don't mind if it's a bit crude. ^^^
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 07:33:37 pm »

Haven't even looked, but I'm interested. Gimme about 16 hours to go to sleep, college and then read some of it and I'll let you know more.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 07:44:34 pm »

How many are you taking? If it's five or more, consider this a reservation.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 08:07:58 pm »

How many are you taking? If it's five or more, consider this a reservation.
I was thinking a party of six would be good.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 08:10:03 pm »

I'm interested. Let me know if there is a space available.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 08:11:53 pm »

BD, John, me, Kashyyk, Gatleos, The Fool... looks like we have our party. What role do you guys think you'll go for? If no one objects I'm thinking I might try being a Thief-type character.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 08:12:56 pm »

I'll be the persuasive guy of the group, who's good with a sword then.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 08:20:11 pm »

If no one objects I'm thinking I might try being a Thief-type character.

Their can only be one stealthly thief in this town *Fondles Knife* /intentional word misuse
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 08:20:31 pm »

BD, John, me, Kashyyk, Gatleos, The Fool... looks like we have our party. What role do you guys think you'll go for? If no one objects I'm thinking I might try being a Thief-type character.
I'll be the persuasive guy of the group, who's good with a sword then.
Quick little tip, here: combat isn't going to be really similar to in DnD. When you choose your skills (and if you're going to be a melee fighter-type person), sink a couple points into wrestling. It'll liven combat up a bit.

Also, about the setting: are we going with a well-rounded wide-open-sandbox campaign? Or do you want it tilted in any particular direction?

EDIT: Hey, looks like we've tentatively got a party of six!

Ugh, I'm too used to the convenience of Myth-Weavers. If you copy this into a text document, it should be an acceptable substitute for an official character sheet.
Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
There may be something missing, but I think that's it.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 08:40:34 pm by Araph »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16