Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we use generic currency, or unique currencies?

I think we should use generic currency.
- 0 (0%)
I think we should use original currencies the way Araph listed them.
- 4 (80%)
I think we should use original currencies, but with a conversion rate of 100:10:1
- 1 (20%)
I think we should use original currencies, but with a simpler conversion rate (post your ideas if you chose this).
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

Author Topic: Super Happy Tabletop RPG: The Trials of Testing (Warning: Misleading Name)  (Read 17810 times)

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Super Happy Tabletop RPG: The Trials of Testing
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2011, 10:32:05 pm »

Here is my character sheet so far. I left out a lot of skills that I didn't put levels into.

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

I see a problem in having skills level up the way they do right now. While I can understand jumping and blocking leveling up fast, skills like Bone Doctoring will see no love. Right now I need to set 10 broken bones to level up again. If I was at level 4 then I'd need to set 20 broken bones. To say the least that might be the absolute slowest of all the skills, and it's a necessity for any adventure group. Could you consider another method of leveling up skills? Or boosting the rates of some skills?

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2011, 10:50:56 pm »

What are your focuses? I'm assuming Analytical Ability is your primary, which would make it so that leveling up Bone Doctoring would take 5 bones set, then 9, then 13, then 17, etc. I was considering putting ways to better your skills through study, but I want to make sure it wouldn't be abused by the munchkins. Barring that, we may have to have skills level up at different rates. That would take a good chunk more accounting to keep track of, though. Maybe it could work where if you have books or essays on a mental subject, you can study over time to augment lesser used skills.

Then again, maybe people will break a lot of bones. It shouldn't be too hard to make that happen.:P

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2011, 10:52:08 pm »

Isn't it only possible to have 4 in any stat from the beginning, or has that change since the ruleset was initially put up? ???

A few common methods are to start with each attribute at negative two and add thirty points total to the attributes (a maximum of six points can be added to any given attribute), or to start at negative three in each attribute and roll eight d6’s; then choose which attribute to add the results of each roll to.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2011, 10:54:56 pm »

That sheet is using the revision on page 3. Your bonus is half the attribute rounded down, and you have 30 points to distribute.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2011, 10:56:45 pm »

Ah, OK. Thanks. I was working with the link from the first page. ^^^;
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2011, 10:56:56 pm »

D'oh! I forgot to change that bit.

It now works similarly to DnD; your modifier is equal to the attribute score divided by two. Mostly to try to avoid min-maxing.

Wait, wait... Yeah, the maximum points spendable in an attribute... Ok, changing that from six to eight.

Aaaaaaand ninja'd. Twice.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2011, 10:57:15 pm »

Jeez. I leave for a few hours and the discussion explodes.

Well, considering the
I suppose I should go with a sort of knightly character. I assumed that, since magic is a fairly rare and dangerous thing, that magic would be more of a support skill and characters with a focus on it wouldn't really... exist. And what situation does the knowledge skill come into play, exactly?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2011, 11:00:24 pm »

Magic isn't really rare, but it is dangerous. I tried to make it sort of hit-or-miss, without too high a risk of death. To be truly effective at magic, you'd have to pull a Vaarsuvius and suck at most other things. Sub-specs will make individual fields of magic far easier and safer, though. Generalized wizards will be in more danger.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2011, 11:09:59 pm »

Oh, I see. In that case, there should probably be a few more "schools" of magic to choose from. Just to give specialized magic-users more variety.

Anyway, I'd suggest Martial Artist as a warrior sub-spec, with a focus on hand-to-hand, acrobatics and dodging. Sort of a fast-moving, bare-fisted monk-type character. And then I'd immediately choose it. :D
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2011, 11:19:00 pm »

Hmm, how's this?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It seems I'm STILL confused about stats... I've added in a second number for each stat. If the originals aren't correct (too low) then use the second.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 11:43:21 pm by SeriousConcentrate »

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2011, 11:32:54 pm »

Character sheet gooooo.

There are three humans already, so I might be either a half-elf or an orc. Not sure which one though.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 11:51:57 pm by Bdthemag »
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2011, 11:43:07 pm »

All your stats start at -2. You used 44 points instead of 30.

And you wouldn't guess that a Fallen was human at first glance. It has horns and an altered face structure. I might just draw that out.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2011, 11:46:59 pm »

Hmm, how's this?

It seems I'm STILL confused about stats... I've added in a second number for each stat. If the originals aren't correct (too low) then use the second.
Character sheet gooooo.

There are three humans already, so I might be either a half-elf or an orc. Not sure which one though.

Don't forget, you also get 6 skill points to spend in your primary focus' skills.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2011, 11:54:42 pm »

Who are you talking to, Fool? Me or BD? The original set I used was them starting at -2, but you and BD have a few impossibly high stats so I was confused (unless I read it wrong the maximum you should be able to have in any stat is 6: -2+8 = 6). Anyway, redid my sheet concerning stats and adding points: +1 to my four lesser class skills and +2 to my primary class skill.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2011, 12:00:08 am »

I was working under the assumption that +4 would be the max starting bonus. I'll grab my sheet and change it since Araph wants +6 to be the max for starting attributes. Which was completely false as it turns out. See next page.

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 12:17:38 am by The Fool »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16