Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - LoZ fans, anyone?  (Read 7573 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - LoZ fans, anyone?
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2011, 10:08:40 am »

.          .         .            *facepalms in frustration/annoyance*
The controls are good, and he cannot believe it.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2011, 11:01:55 am »

I know.I'm face palming in utter disbelief at The ridiculousness of what he is spewing. -_-
It's FEF, not FEOF

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2011, 04:34:38 pm »

Oh, by the way, whoever wanted sidequests: there's a sidequest composed of littler sidequests. Basically, you help people out to get crystals to give to a guy. Basically, yeah if you want sidequests then there are a lot of them and you should buy this game.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2011, 06:52:46 pm »

They're so responsive,
I love the controls, but honestly I find myself struggling to stab properly. I thrust the wii remote and sometimes it thinks I'm doing a diagonal slash or otherwise, makes skulltulas a pain.
The game definitely gets better once you leave the main area, and I'm currently stuck on the first boss despite that I helped my friend beat it only a few hours ago. 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 05:50:55 am by Rakonas »

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2011, 11:33:21 pm »

The controls are pretty nice but to me they start to bog down sometimes when you try to move fast. ie When you need to act like you're coming from one side then slash from another side instead and similar situations.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2011, 01:07:54 am »

I'm trying to imagine playing any of the Zelda games with a mouse and keyboard, especially the older top-down ones. It's making my brain blister.
Well, you can play the older ones with a Keyboard... *Points at Emulators and Roms

This isn't that bad for NES games, but gets a lot worse for SNES games because there are more buttons. The control schemes of SNES games just aren't designed for that; they're designed for whatever's convenient/comfortable on the controller, not a keyboard. It's possible, but... I wouldn't do it. I've tried, and it's awful.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2011, 01:12:42 am »

There's a reason keybindings exist.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2011, 01:29:52 am »

I'm trying to imagine playing any of the Zelda games with a mouse and keyboard, especially the older top-down ones. It's making my brain blister.
Well, you can play the older ones with a Keyboard... *Points at Emulators and Roms

This isn't that bad for NES games, but gets a lot worse for SNES games because there are more buttons. The control schemes of SNES games just aren't designed for that; they're designed for whatever's convenient/comfortable on the controller, not a keyboard. It's possible, but... I wouldn't do it. I've tried, and it's awful.
Actually the Snes is easy, its when you get to the PS1 and the N64 emulators. Where it has more then one controller method in some games...
With the snes i used the arrow keys as movements and s,x,a,z for a,b,y,x and q and w for L and R...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2011, 07:02:01 am »

I'm... not sure what you mean. I still find an SNES controller a hell of a lot easier to use with SNES games than a keyboard. Plus, even if you use keybindings, sometimes it's hard to press all the keys you want at the same time comfortably, because the two input devices simply aren't designed the same at all.

Actually the Snes is easy, its when you get to the PS1 and the N64 emulators. Where it has more then one controller method in some games...
With the snes i used the arrow keys as movements and s,x,a,z for a,b,y,x and q and w for L and R...

Case in point: There are some games where I'd want to be moving in a certain direction while holding up to four of those other buttons down at the same time. Not exactly easy!

Of course, it depends on the game. A Final Fantasy game? No problem. A game like Battletoads or Mega Man X or Super Metroid? Too frustrating.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2011, 09:28:11 am »

*Looks at X-Box controller*

Yeah... Difficulty with emulators... >.>

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2011, 09:46:32 am »

I'm... not sure what you mean. I still find an SNES controller a hell of a lot easier to use with SNES games than a keyboard. Plus, even if you use keybindings, sometimes it's hard to press all the keys you want at the same time comfortably, because the two input devices simply aren't designed the same at all.

Case in point: There are some games where I'd want to be moving in a certain direction while holding up to four of those other buttons down at the same time. Not exactly easy!

Of course, it depends on the game. A Final Fantasy game? No problem. A game like Battletoads or Mega Man X or Super Metroid? Too frustrating.
\\Has cleared games like Battletoads via Emulator cause he could never find it again when he owned a Snes\\
Seriously if ya can't use an emulator and multiple controls don't bother with them. Stay away if you find it difficult, Consoles are for people that want to play games in a more casual area, while PCs are dedicated areas...
Its all down to personal preference. Not controllers or anything like that. Example;
I really hate X-Box controllers, too clunky for me, PS2 had more slimmer and more comfortable controllers. I Owned a PSP, found that very comfortable but at the same time the Thumbstick in a weird location, which caused my thumb to cramp after prolonged use, especially when playing Monster Hunter, ended up getting to the point where a Big hunt would take only 5mins from Start to finish and me putting it down to prevent it, I later found using a DS hard cause it was small and tiny which made my hands cramp up after prolonged use but when I upgraded to a 3DS it seemed more comfortable due to its size, despite it being only like 5 or so mil bigger. You (or anyone else) might play X-Box like mad folk and find the controller fitting and easy to use. Or even the N64's controls perfect, or heck any FPS on consoles great and shit where I stick to PC for them...
So I will say it again...
Its all down to personal preference.
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2011, 11:01:51 am »

The reason using a controller is easier is you don't run into the usual error of holding too many keys down. If you're holding down like 5 or so keys at a time, your keyboard doesn't always recognize that. Your controller, on the other hand, can recognize all of those inputs at the same time. So, using a X-Box 360 controller is pretty nice for my computer, as I can keybind to certain buttons, and it contains enough buttons and directional pads to use for all current systems. It also has a USB connector.

It wasn't a bad buy for me.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2011, 12:21:07 pm »

Ultra cheap keyboards won't recognize more than 3 or 4 keys at the same time. Good keyboards can do around 7 or 8.

on topic:
Bought Skyward Sword for $5 off and no tax or shipping cost at NewEgg. Waiting for yummy goodness...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2011, 12:36:01 pm »

The controls are pretty nice but to me they start to bog down sometimes when you try to move fast. ie When you need to act like you're coming from one side then slash from another side instead and similar situations.
I love the controls, but honestly I find myself struggling to stab properly. I thrust the wii remote and sometimes it thinks I'm doing a diagonal slash or otherwise, makes skulltulas a pain.
The game definitely gets better once you leave the main area, and I'm currently stuck on the first boss despite that I helped my friend beat it only a few hours ago.

Actually, yeah, I agree in these two situations. I've noticed them a bit more recently, mostly cause the area I'm in has enemies with electric weapons that shock you if they block your slash. Meaning that you really want to do the feint thing and then end up slashing and getting hurt. I haven't had too much trouble stabbing, though. Usually when I focus on it I can do it, but when I'm just sort of swinging my sword around and then decide hey stab him now I end up slashing.

Also I totally did the fire dungeon drunk last night. It wasn't too hard, but the boss took me a little longer than it should have.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2011, 10:54:35 pm »

The combat and controls are GREAT, especially considering that the Wii is infamous for it's failure of control. Although the wii remote can be a bit finicky as far as targeting when using ranged weaponry such as the slingshot, all you have to do is aim the remote towards the screen before you prepare an item, and this issue ceases to exist. The sword rights itself automatically in combat, and I rarely noticed any problem with swinging it around. It'll pretty much follow your movements without a hitch.
Using the sword to slay your foes is the best part of the game, though.

i cant believe you... there hasnt been a single console that had at least bad controls...

to clarify... i have meant to say... that console controls are so bad... that even the best ones would get something like -2/10
wold you GET... a LOAD OF this.
no... you you got yto flip it
TURN WAYS
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]