Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - LoZ fans, anyone?  (Read 7582 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - LoZ fans, anyone?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 10:01:31 am »

Is it still only right-handed controls?
What are you taking bout, Link has always been right handed....

Cookie for anyone that actually remembers...
Link is, in fact, left-handed. He was switched to right-handed for Skyward Sword, since a majority of players are right-handed.
Babowah... ((Incorrect answer noise))
Link switched to right handed for Twilight Princess (WII). But yes, in every game since the start, link swung left handed. Named "The Left Handed Hero" in Four Swords, and even has the Triforce Emblem on his left hand. So half a cookie for at least knowing that he is Originally Left Handed...

EDIT:: In an odd case, some concept art that shows him as a Left hander with the sword scabbard attached to his back, has, when sheathed, the hilt pointing over his left shoulder. This would make it near impossible for a Left Handed swordsman to draw it smoothly or even at all. Wind Waker and a few Twilight Princess ((GC)) concept arts show this odd thing. Heck even OoT has it sitting over his left shoulder...
Oooo, except I'm half-right. He's left-handed in the GameCube version of Twilight Princess. So, I technically didn't count that title as a whole, since I was uncertain about the Wii version. Plus, the swinging of the Wii Remote was fairly ambiguous as to HOW the sword was swung, so it was an easy mistake. (Also, I'm left-handed, so I assume Link is just copying me.)

In fact, his scabbard IS weird. I believe it almost always lies on his left side (There are a few images with it on his right side, which is just crazy talk). But, it seems easier to grab it from the left side (Like in Twilight Princess (GC)) than a different side with your left hand, as you would reach over your back to grab the sword. Reaching over your opposite shoulder is incredibly tiring and strenuous. Try it. It's pretty difficult. It would only be smooth to grab by reaching across your waist, since your shoulder would otherwise hinder your scabbard's mobility. Though, if you bent your shoulder inward, it would be a lot smoother. I think it's just a personal choice.
Just to be clear, I did type (WII) behind the Twilight Princess there right...

Anyway, just been watching some youtube vids to doublecheck, and this guy here makes some good points about Drawing a Sword from the back and other things...
Basically, its just impossible at such speeds that you need to do it, though he never does it in a cross body method, but that is kinda dangerous. Personally though I always thought that would be the only way, Crossbody that is...
Right. I was just forgetting about the Wii version being a mirror image of the GameCube version. Literally. So, if we work around that fact, Link is still left-handed. He's just stuck inside the Mirror World from Mirrors.

I assume it's because we see so many cross-body scabbards for the WAIST, that we assume it'll work for the shoulders. However, I'm pretty sure the waist would have to be cross-body, as you'd look rather silly pulling it otherwise, which is the opposite of how the shoulders would work. Also, this is Link, so we can assume that the hours upon hours of sword training lets him pull the sword out quickly. How he gets the sword back in, though, is a good question. I assume it's magic.

Problem solved. (x2)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 10:03:41 am »

Right. I was just forgetting about the Wii version being a mirror image of the GameCube version. Literally. So, if we work around that fact, Link is still left-handed. He's just stuck inside the Mirror World from Mirrors.

I assume it's because we see so many cross-body scabbards for the WAIST, that we assume it'll work for the shoulders. However, I'm pretty sure the waist would have to be cross-body, as you'd look rather silly pulling it otherwise, which is the opposite of how the shoulders would work. Also, this is Link, so we can assume that the hours upon hours of sword training lets him pull the sword out quickly. How he gets the sword back in, though, is a good question. I assume it's magic.

Problem solved. (x2)
Just to note, you can easily draw a longsword from your Sword hand hip (right for right handers, left for left)
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 03:27:25 pm »

Problem solved. (x2)
Just to note, you can easily draw a longsword from your Sword hand hip (right for right handers, left for left)
That doesn't mean it doesn't look silly.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 05:42:01 pm »

Like what I've seen just online about LoZ:SS, but going to have to wait for it to come down in price or pick up a used copy.  I'm sure the game will still be good in 6 months (doing same thing for Skyrim, which I'm sure will actually be better due to mods/bugfixes).
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 05:54:59 pm »

Also, YES! You can play as left-handed. You just need to switch him to it.
:D :D
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 06:03:54 pm »

Looking forward to this game.  I loved Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess.  I never played any of the others, but I'd have probably liked them too.

Glad to know that the new combat system doesn't get in the way of the game.  I'll probably just end up getting it for Christmas, so got a bit of a wait yet.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2011, 03:31:03 pm »

I've just started playing it yesterday, and I have to say I love the controls and the storyline so far. I think I'm done with the starting area and ready to start the main plotline, so I haven't gotten very far. I just feel weird about the game because I'm not feeling the music like in other zelda games, but it probably/hopefully gets better. I don't really like the visuals, I liked both Twilight Princess and Windwaker better, but it's not a big deal to me.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2011, 04:24:55 pm »

Welp started playing it yesterday, let the Girlfriend have the first go, she sounded interested in it after I explained what it was planning to do...
Yet...
Yeah don't let a Non gamer try and cut their teeth with Skyward Sword. The startup is slow, really slow, before anything interesting enough to keep them going to happen...

Regardless I like it, different feel but at the same time, similar...

So other then the slowness of the start and the lack of "Entertain Me" methods, like they could have used Link's Dream at the start for explaining the controls of movement and combat instead of that stupid little Catthing Fetch for moving. LoZ:SS isn't really for new folk sadly...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2011, 08:18:17 pm »

I bought this today and I am setting my Wii back up right now. I'll report back in a couple hours. I expect near-orgasmic joy from what I've already heard of this game.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2011, 08:27:05 pm »

Is it still only right-handed controls?
What are you taking bout, Link has always been right handed....

Cookie for anyone that actually remembers...
Link is, in fact, left-handed. He was switched to right-handed for Skyward Sword, since a majority of players are right-handed.
Babowah... ((Incorrect answer noise))
Link switched to right handed for Twilight Princess (WII). But yes, in every game since the start, link swung left handed. Named "The Left Handed Hero" in Four Swords, and even has the Triforce Emblem on his left hand. So half a cookie for at least knowing that he is Originally Left Handed...

EDIT:: In an odd case, some concept art that shows him as a Left hander with the sword scabbard attached to his back, has, when sheathed, the hilt pointing over his left shoulder. This would make it near impossible for a Left Handed swordsman to draw it smoothly or even at all. Wind Waker and a few Twilight Princess ((GC)) concept arts show this odd thing. Heck even OoT has it sitting over his left shoulder...

Fake Edit :: Or am I just being dozy due to time and getting the Drawing method wrong...

Like was right-handed in Link to the Past, but only when he was facing east.

ardesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2011, 09:33:17 pm »

The combat and controls are GREAT, especially considering that the Wii is infamous for it's failure of control. Although the wii remote can be a bit finicky as far as targeting when using ranged weaponry such as the slingshot, all you have to do is aim the remote towards the screen before you prepare an item, and this issue ceases to exist. The sword rights itself automatically in combat, and I rarely noticed any problem with swinging it around. It'll pretty much follow your movements without a hitch.
Using the sword to slay your foes is the best part of the game, though.

i cant believe you... there hasnt been a single console that had at least bad controls...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2011, 09:56:06 pm »

If you want bad controls, feel free to dig through the Wii's mountain of shovelware...
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2011, 11:51:32 pm »

The combat and controls are GREAT, especially considering that the Wii is infamous for it's failure of control. Although the wii remote can be a bit finicky as far as targeting when using ranged weaponry such as the slingshot, all you have to do is aim the remote towards the screen before you prepare an item, and this issue ceases to exist. The sword rights itself automatically in combat, and I rarely noticed any problem with swinging it around. It'll pretty much follow your movements without a hitch.
Using the sword to slay your foes is the best part of the game, though.

i cant believe you... there hasnt been a single console that had at least bad controls...

I have no idea what you just said
It's FEF, not FEOF

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2011, 11:53:15 pm »

He refuses to believe someone because the controls aren't the apparent typical 'No, they are certainly not great' kind.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2011, 11:55:55 pm »

.          .         .            *facepalms in frustration/annoyance*
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4