Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - LoZ fans, anyone?  (Read 7577 times)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - LoZ fans, anyone?
« on: November 21, 2011, 11:00:19 pm »

I just recently picked up my copy of the game on the 20th, since I pre-ordered.

Played far enough to conquer the two first temples, and I've got to say, I'm VERY satisfied with how it's played out so far. The intro gameplay where you run around completing quests before the main plotline hits was amusing and not at all that boring to me. The rest of the plot has been rather like the rest of the Legend of Zelda games - a bit uneventful. But the true spirit of the game is not in the incredible storytelling - it's in the retelling of the ageless legend, and the addicting puzzle/action gameplay.

So let's get on to that, shall we?

The combat and controls are GREAT, especially considering that the Wii is infamous for it's failure of control. Although the wii remote can be a bit finicky as far as targeting when using ranged weaponry such as the slingshot, all you have to do is aim the remote towards the screen before you prepare an item, and this issue ceases to exist. The sword rights itself automatically in combat, and I rarely noticed any problem with swinging it around. It'll pretty much follow your movements without a hitch.
Using the sword to slay your foes is the best part of the game, though.

Enemies in Skyward Sword are not like most of the beasts you've seen in the older games. In this game, they're less like things that get in your way, and more like foes that you have to defeat. Sure, the bats and the slimes will go down with a few quick swings of your blade, but the creatures that are armed will actively defend themselves from attack. You'll have to find their weakness and exploit it with a few well-aimed slashes to get them to go down.

The puzzles are hard to judge, because everyone has a different experience with them. I got stuck on one of the simpler puzzles for about an hour simply because I wasn't looking well enough. But with a logical mind and a bit of perseverance, I have no doubt that anyone can overcome them without much frustration.

There are a few other things that make this game stand out as well. Instead of a horse, this time around you'll be riding a Loftwing - a giant bird. The controls are easy to get used to, but the flying is hard to master. In order to catch some of the other fliers in the sky (especially the ones carrying rupees), you'll have to have some serious control and good timing. I'm yet to intercept one of them.
Besides flying around, you'll also want to be landing in different regions to collect the many items and bugs in the game. The collectables you find can be used to upgrade all of your gear - you can turn your little slingshot into a scattershot weapon, or make your shield tougher so it can take more punishment. It seems that almost every special item you collect can be upgraded somehow, which is a very fun prospect.
The bugs that you catch with your handy bug net (once you buy it from Beedle's shop ship), can be used to enhance potions, making them many times more useful than they usually are.

Oh, and did I mention the visuals are gorgeous? This is, in my opinion, the best looking Legend of Zelda game yet. They seem to have combined the cell-shading style of Wind Waker with the less-toony character models of Twilight Princess, and the results are brilliant. I don't usually hang about and make a big deal out of game graphics, but the folks who do the art for the Legend of Zelda games have really outdone themselves.

All in all, it's a jam-packed, great addition to a legendary series. I hope that any and all Legend of Zelda fans out there enjoy it.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - LoZ fans, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 11:08:35 pm »

Is it still only right-handed controls?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 11:13:22 pm »

Came out sooner than I was expecting. I honestly don't know if I'll get around to play it, as much as I do want to play it at some point. Other family members have commandeered my Wii and I don't know if I can break some 4-year old's heart just to play Zelda. I never got around to playing Twilight Princess, either... Hmm.

How exactly are the controls? Is waggle action required or can you opt for a less embarrassing mode of input?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 11:59:34 pm »

I just got it today. Haven't had time to play it yet though

Came out sooner than I was expecting. I honestly don't know if I'll get around to play it, as much as I do want to play it at some point. Other family members have commandeered my Wii and I don't know if I can break some 4-year old's heart just to play Zelda. I never got around to playing Twilight Princess, either... Hmm.

How exactly are the controls? Is waggle action required or can you opt for a less embarrassing mode of input?

It's not quite waggle action from what I've seen and heard. The idea as stated in the Op is that the sword Genuinely follows your actions with the wiimote so a lot of the gameplay revolves around aiming/angling your attacks correctly to exploit gaps in the enemie's defences.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 12:10:32 am »

I'm going to pipe up and confirm that it takes more than a waggle to control your sword. Some enemies can get frustratingly difficult to beat with these new mechanics. Though for the most part I've had a lot of fun with the combat in the game. Combat is frantic, and you have to think about what you're doing. Fun fact, at one point I had to stop myself, and figure out why my attacks were doing nothing to a Gel thingy. Stabbing gel is apparently not very effective at all.

If you're as bad at playing it as I am, I have to warn you to bring potions. Bring lots of potions...
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 01:22:44 am »

2 more days till I get mine... T_T
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 02:22:11 am »

Is it weird if I never even noticed this was coming out? I think Skyrim ate all the releases.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 03:10:14 am »

What are you taking bout, Link has always been right handed....

Cookie for anyone that actually remembers...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 03:35:25 am »

I'd get this if I had room to play it; Only playing GC games on my Wii right now. (You do have to stand up to play right?)

This will be the first Zelda game besides the NDS ones I've not been in a hurry to buy.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 08:54:57 am »

I've only got one thing to say about this game.

Micheal Jackson.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 09:05:57 am »

Link is, in fact, left-handed. He was switched to right-handed for Skyward Sword, since a majority of players are right-handed.

Quote from: Legend of Zelda Wiki
As already confirmed by Miyamoto, there are many different incarnations of Link; however, they share some distinct attributes, such as being left-handed and always wearing a green tunic.

Also, YES! You can play as left-handed. You just need to switch him to it.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 09:14:38 am »

Link is, in fact, left-handed. He was switched to right-handed for Skyward Sword, since a majority of players are right-handed.
Babowah... ((Incorrect answer noise))
Link switched to right handed for Twilight Princess (WII). But yes, in every game since the start, link swung left handed. Named "The Left Handed Hero" in Four Swords, and even has the Triforce Emblem on his left hand. So half a cookie for at least knowing that he is Originally Left Handed...

EDIT:: In an odd case, some concept art that shows him as a Left hander with the sword scabbard attached to his back, has, when sheathed, the hilt pointing over his left shoulder. This would make it near impossible for a Left Handed swordsman to draw it smoothly or even at all. Wind Waker and a few Twilight Princess ((GC)) concept arts show this odd thing. Heck even OoT has it sitting over his left shoulder...

Fake Edit :: Or am I just being dozy due to time and getting the Drawing method wrong...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 09:22:06 am by Neyvn »

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 09:40:17 am »

I'd get this if I had room to play it; Only playing GC games on my Wii right now. (You do have to stand up to play right?)

My bum is sore from sitting down all weekend to play Skyward Sword. So no, no need to stand up. The only room you need other than some space between you and the screen is a way to stretch your arm down to make bowling bombs a little easier.  But even that is optional, just makes it easier to get some spin.

Anyone tried tossing those cat things off the island? They're adorable during the day.

I love the adventure pouch system, where you can pick which items to bring along on your adventure. So far I carry my shield, a treasure medal, a life medal, some extra bombs bags and a bottle.  There are lots of secrets to discover too, such as the symbols you can draw on certain walls to get items.  Drawing a heart gets me more hearts, but this one time I got a load of bombs and I have no clue how I did it, I just slipped trying to draw a heart.

What makes me sad is the lack of a proper overworld, though.  The surface areas are all connected by the sky, but the sky is just a collection of loose islands with one town. It makes the surface areas feel more like pre-dungeons or something.  You'll be revisiting them often though, and the enemies in areas you've been to before get tougher as the story progresses.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 09:44:07 am »

Link switched to right handed for Twilight Princess (WII). But yes, in every game since the start, link swung left handed. Named "The Left Handed Hero" in Four Swords, and even has the Triforce Emblem on his left hand. So half a cookie for at least knowing that he is Originally Left Handed...

EDIT:: In an odd case, some concept art that shows him as a Left hander with the sword scabbard attached to his back, has, when sheathed, the hilt pointing over his left shoulder. This would make it near impossible for a Left Handed swordsman to draw it smoothly or even at all. Wind Waker and a few Twilight Princess ((GC)) concept arts show this odd thing. Heck even OoT has it sitting over his left shoulder...
Oooo, except I'm half-right. He's left-handed in the GameCube version of Twilight Princess. So, I technically didn't count that title as a whole, since I was uncertain about the Wii version. Plus, the swinging of the Wii Remote was fairly ambiguous as to HOW the sword was swung, so it was an easy mistake. (Also, I'm left-handed, so I assume Link is just copying me.)

In fact, his scabbard IS weird. I believe it almost always lies on his left side (There are a few images with it on his right side, which is just crazy talk). But, it seems easier to grab it from the left side (Like in Twilight Princess (GC)) than a different side with your left hand, as you would reach over your back to grab the sword. Reaching over your opposite shoulder is incredibly tiring and strenuous. Try it. It's pretty difficult. It would only be smooth to grab by reaching across your waist, since your shoulder would otherwise hinder your scabbard's mobility. Though, if you bent your shoulder inward, it would be a lot smoother. I think it's just a personal choice.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 09:53:10 am »

Oooo, except I'm half-right. He's left-handed in the GameCube version of Twilight Princess. So, I technically didn't count that title as a whole, since I was uncertain about the Wii version. Plus, the swinging of the Wii Remote was fairly ambiguous as to HOW the sword was swung, so it was an easy mistake. (Also, I'm left-handed, so I assume Link is just copying me.)

In fact, his scabbard IS weird. I believe it almost always lies on his left side (There are a few images with it on his right side, which is just crazy talk). But, it seems easier to grab it from the left side (Like in Twilight Princess (GC)) than a different side with your left hand, as you would reach over your back to grab the sword. Reaching over your opposite shoulder is incredibly tiring and strenuous. Try it. It's pretty difficult. It would only be smooth to grab by reaching across your waist, since your shoulder would otherwise hinder your scabbard's mobility. Though, if you bent your shoulder inward, it would be a lot smoother. I think it's just a personal choice.
Just to be clear, I did type (WII) behind the Twilight Princess there right...

Anyway, just been watching some youtube vids to doublecheck, and this guy here makes some good points about Drawing a Sword from the back and other things...
Basically, its just impossible at such speeds that you need to do it, though he never does it in a cross body method, but that is kinda dangerous. Personally though I always thought that would be the only way, Crossbody that is...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4