Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 239

Author Topic: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)  (Read 236108 times)

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)
« Reply #1020 on: February 25, 2012, 05:13:53 am »

So there won't be a resolution to the caravan crisis and punishment for that annoying kid? This is disappointing, even after priest left, Virtue should write a short summary of how the angry caravanners were dealt with.

Those designs are very ambitious. Personally I'd settle for a well with clean water, trash compactor, more traps at the gate and at the entrance to the caverns. After that a 4-pump cyclic mist generator / shower (just put social zones where the water jumps, and ponies will also train drowning swimming (it is safe, I tested the design on Dwarven children, and none of them were harmed)). Power it by a few windmills (if you have wind), and also link a quern. It took years to complete houses, and this place just doesn't have the pony power to complete some of the more complex designs.

Danger room is quite a liability, just as Jaxler said. I used some pet-impassable doors with mine, and 10+ animals were still killed. Kids are even worse, and since this fort is about being nice and protecting pony life, that danger room will have to be dismantled after the first accident, and Stiletto will have a guilt trip from proposing it. Jaxler would be even more pissed off at that alicorn for killing ponies. It can only get uglier from there.
If I were to discourage You from it in ponysona, I'd make a speech about being from a fort where something like that was tested, and eventually abandoned:
"Oh, it was very effective and a week in that room did more to the soldiers than a month of sparring ad demonstrations, but it proved just too dangerous. Soldiers needed very thick layers of armour and cloth just to prevent injuries. This made them tire quickly, and some even passed out from exhaustion while poked by the spears. But that's not all of it. Cats and other animals occasionally sneaked in there despite our efforts to keep them out, and were injured or killed. Once a civilian went inside to take out a dead cat, but got stabbed, and ended up in the hospital. Despite all this, our leader decided to continue using that room, because we were at war and needed trained soldiers badly. Eventually the inevitable happened, and a tragedy struck. A foal went into that room in spite of all the warnings, and her head was impaled on a spear. It was little consolation, that her death was instant. After that the spears were finally dismantled, mechanisms used for other purposes, and the room closed for good. Some things are just not worth the price. Are you sure you want to risk this, if the whole point is to protect pony life?"

Magma waterfall just screams magma mist and disaster, and it would require a really big pump stack, and patching up that pump stack through the caverns. It also means using large amounts of green glass for magma pumps (unless you want to be stupid like me, and waste iron for corkscrews and nickel for pipe sections). So far I completed a 20 or so pump mist generator powered by 3 water reactors, and a wall around a 4x4 embark with 8 dodge-me traps, but was unable to get magma to the surface before FPS death. Magma could also mean magma smelters, furnaces and forges, but I like the added challenge of not using them in this fort. It is also somewhat um.. anti-thematic (?) for ponies to have magma technology. Magma and underground fortresses and overly complex mechanical contraptions are more fitting for Dwarves than ponies. Just saying.

A lecture by Flux about steel carbon content (the more carbon, the more elastic and less brittle the steel is), and how charcoal is better than coke for making steel (because coal contains some sulphur, and sulphur makes steel brittle), would be nice. Maybe when you'll teach Granite about smelting or Stiletto visits you again in the smelter. Tough I'd rather start with something simpler, like smelting copper. There is no reason not to make a pony fort thread educational :P

If I wanted to be malicious I could probably come up with something about hamsters, vermin and cats.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 07:57:45 am by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: February 25, 2012, 03:22:11 pm »

((Maklak, We have an IRC for thoughts just like this. http://cbe003.chat.mibbit.com/?channel=%23Dawnpick&server=irc.mibbit.net come by to talk about stuff.))
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 03:23:59 pm by TALLPANZER »
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: February 25, 2012, 03:43:04 pm »

Glaive continues to ponder over the plans, trying to ignore the strange blue unicorn. Arbalest hadn't even responded the last time he tried to talk to him, and he knew from Falcata that he had...issues.

"You know Stiletto, as much as a training course could help, we already have a decent sized militia, all with steel plate and weapons. Most with combat experience. I think it would be best to focus on the comforts of our civilians first. And I think that shower would be the best place to start. If we run the water by the kitchen's fire we might even be able to have hot water during the day when the cooks are working, and we can tap the moat for the source. Maybe an underground tunnel to the moat, with a grate, or narrow area, to keep out anything we don't want to come inside. Then we just need to figure out where to drain the water to, without causing a big muddy mess, or at least not one inside the walls."

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: February 25, 2012, 04:12:34 pm »

"Those beasts still haunt us, had I been faster..."

Stiletto puts her quill down and closes her eyes

"I finish my redesign. It takes more material but much safer."

Her pen points out the safety features of retractable bridges and door double lock systems.

"We should still use a pump cleaned well for the hospital. Drops infection probability by a wide degree."
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: February 25, 2012, 08:17:13 pm »

I peek my muzzle out from under Stiletto's wing to add my two bits.

"Put a few grates in the pipe to the moat.  Fish in well would not be ideal."

The ponies talked for a while about various things to add to Dawnpick, and pointing out problems and solutions to each suggestion.  Designs were proposed, dissected, improved, shown to be impractical, improved again and so on.  Some friendships were strengthened, and more were perhaps fostered in the frank exchange and discussion of ideas for how to simply improve the quality of life for all of Dawnpick.

((End Scene))
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 09:04:27 pm by Khenal »
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: February 25, 2012, 10:21:35 pm »

Jaxler woke up. He got up and looked around. he noticed it was dark and the only source of light was from a torch. he had woken up in the mines, again and had no memory of last night, again. He decided to walk around and found his crossbow a few feat away from him. he picked it up and scanned it for damage and sighed when he found it to be in unharmed. so he continued to walk around trying to figure his way out through the endless mazes of tunnels. After what seemed to be an eternity of wondering he saw a pony off in the distance. As he got closer he started to realize who it was. "hay flux"
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: February 25, 2012, 10:24:52 pm »

'So this is where it begins...'

I gently run a hoof over the mine wall, tracing what I'm pretty sure is a bit of iron.  I jump when I hear a voice behind me, surprised to find it's Jaxler.

"Oh, Jaxler!  Um, hello.  Why... are you in the mines?"
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: February 25, 2012, 10:26:58 pm »

"To be honest, I ain't got the slightest clue"
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 10:28:51 pm by jaxler »

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: February 25, 2012, 10:29:29 pm »

I tilt my head, confused.

"You... don't know?"

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: February 25, 2012, 10:33:02 pm »

"Uh yeah, what's so strange about me not knowing why I'm down here?"

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: February 25, 2012, 10:40:25 pm »

'...What?  He might as well ask why he's supposed to breathe..."

I decide to try to change the subject instead of answer.

"Uh, do you, um, come to the mines often?  I've never been here before."

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: February 25, 2012, 10:51:34 pm »

"Well I've been down here twice but I really don't know how to navigate this place"
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 10:53:53 pm by jaxler »

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: February 25, 2012, 10:54:43 pm »

"Um, do you go to the caves?"

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: February 25, 2012, 10:57:12 pm »

"I really haven't made any sort of effort to go down into the caves, so no."

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: February 25, 2012, 11:05:01 pm »

"Um, do you want to?  After seeing the mines, I'd kinda like to look at the caverns too.  But, um, I don't know if they're safe.  Uh, especially after, um..."

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 239