Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27

Author Topic: Premarital sex talk :O  (Read 69427 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Premarital sex talk :O
« Reply #300 on: October 07, 2011, 10:15:02 am »

Err, it should be pretty obvious as to "how." Choose something to believe (or not) and see what happens in the afterlife (if your choice has an afterlife).

Or just abstain from making any assumptions at all, like me (agnosticism go!).

EDIT: Assuming we're still talking about religion here. Dunno about math land :X
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 07, 2011, 10:25:41 am »

Err, it should be pretty obvious as to "how." Choose something to believe (or not) and see what happens in the afterlife (if your choice has an afterlife).
This isn't an answer, it's just restating the question.  My question is how do you decide which "consistent" things you bolt on to your view of the world, considering that there are a virtually infinite number of them and many of them will be mutually exclusive or directly contradictory to others?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 07, 2011, 10:26:55 am »

I dunno, I didn't do very much mathematics, so all I know is that multiplying enough will cause an exponential curve.

But, High school maths isn't enough knowledge base to pull off a decent math-uendo. Or Math-entendre?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 07, 2011, 11:07:05 am »

I actually base my "faith" off of scientific testing. My studies have found that I tend to get better results from my actions by praying to God beforehand than when I try to do the actions on my own. I've also observed a difference in the happiness and to a lesser degree quality of life between people in equivalent social and economic positions with a bias towards religion.

Of course, as a counter to that, the more bigoted a person of faith is, the lower their happiness and quality of life appears to be. Thankfully, my faith as it stands (Christianity focusing heavily on the teachings of Jesus above other parts of the Bible) specifically asks me to avoid bigotry.
Nothing important here, move along.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 07, 2011, 12:47:52 pm »

I actually base my "faith" off of scientific testing. My studies have found that I tend to get better results from my actions by praying to God beforehand than when I try to do the actions on my own.
That is not a legitimate scientific test. First, you are only testing yourself. For a scientific inquiry, you need a large test group. Secondly, you are allowing your bias to effect you through your participation. You want God to exist, so you are subconsciously (or depending on your level of ethics, consciously) effecting your results.

More scientifically legitimate studies on prayer also contradict you.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 07, 2011, 01:59:23 pm »

I have an answer for the bias part, in that I've performed tests where the factors involved that would decrease the chances of me getting an advantage (like being nervous before a test) have been amplified in the times that I do pray. I can also say that I have observed many people who seem to legitimately benefit from prayer. Observation is admittedly only a part of the scientific method, so I can't exactly qualify it as an experiment, but it's data.

I wish I could see more about that study you're showing me. If prayer does nothing, people shouldn't be having worse incidents from it.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 07, 2011, 02:04:06 pm »

Did you account for Conformation bias as well?

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 07, 2011, 02:30:27 pm »

I've always had issues with my faith. I'm a very lukewarm worshiper at best. Even subconsciously I find myself consistently drifting away from faith.

The only reason I have faith at all is because I've made too many observations that point toward some kind of higher power offering blessings to those who dare to ask. I choose to follow Christianity because of all the religions I've looked at, Christianity fits in with my observations the best.

...anyway, um, wasn't this thread about sex before marriage or something? Getting back to that topic somewhat, the church I'm at teaches abstinence because it's an outreach program that tries to get into the kinds of areas with teen pregnancy issues and STI problems. When it comes to areas like that, saying to wait a while is pretty good advice.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 07, 2011, 02:43:13 pm »

As long as it's coupled with ways to reduce the risks if abstinence ends, it's a good idea. The form where all other forms of birth control are demonized is not.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 07, 2011, 02:43:40 pm »

I have an answer for the bias part, in that I've performed tests where the factors involved that would decrease the chances of me getting an advantage (like being nervous before a test) have been amplified in the times that I do pray.
Not good enough. You cannot be involved. Bias will always leak through even if you are actively planning against it, so you have to be separate from participation in the experiment.
I can also say that I have observed many people who seem to legitimately benefit from prayer.
The only reason I have faith at all is because I've made too many observations that point toward some kind of higher power offering blessings to those who dare to ask.
Just like that lady with terminal breast cancer who was miraculously cured by god at a healing.
Alright, so it was more of non-terminal breast cancer.
Well, it wasn't actually diagnosed by a doctor, but she knew it was cancer.
I'm just saying, it was a very strange looking lump that went away after she prayed, and you can't prove that it wasn't cancer and that God didn't heal her because he totally exists.

You cannot trust your personal anecdotes as evidence.
I wish I could see more about that study you're showing me. If prayer does nothing, people shouldn't be having worse incidents from it.
The outlier was the group that knew they were being prayed for, so that's what must be looked at. The actual act of prayer disconnected from the subject seems to do nothing, as the groups that weren't being prayed for and being secretly prayed for got effectively the same amount of complications. From that we can deduce that the knowledge that people are praying for your recovery was the cause of the outlier, as this was the only difference between the two groups being prayed for. Cardiac bypass (the surgery of those involved in the prayer study) is obviously a very serious event, and even slight things can have major consequences. The most likely explanation is that the complications are developing from stress. Knowing that people are expecting you to make a supernatural recovery handed down by God Himself is a massive performance to lead up to. So much so that your heart rate might go up, testing your newly bypassed artery to its limit...

...anyway, um, wasn't this thread about sex before marriage or something? Getting back to that topic somewhat, the church I'm at teaches abstinence because it's an outreach program that tries to get into the kinds of areas with teen pregnancy issues and STI problems. When it comes to areas like that, saying to wait a while is pretty good advice.
Good advice in theory, not in practice. You can't expect people to wait because they aren't going to listen to you. Teenagers live in a haze of sex hormones and social anxiety that makes any chance of intimacy with another human being a very attractive proposition. Some may not pursue that, but most will and won't listen to a word you say if you try to stop them. To them, people who preach abstinence only are just a bunch of asshole adults (or fellow asshole teenagers, they won't make a distinction) who "Don't know what I'm going through, man!". Simply put, you cannot stop them and by trying you are making your position invalid to them. By advocating safe sex you are allowing them to fulfill their urges, and the only small limits you are trying to get them to practice are there for very good, completely obvious reasons. Through that, you come off as legitimately caring about their well being instead of just trying to keep them down, and as such they will listen to you far more often.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 07, 2011, 03:45:16 pm »

Good advice in theory, not in practice. You can't expect people to wait because they aren't going to listen to you. Teenagers live in a haze of sex hormones and social anxiety that makes any chance of intimacy with another human being a very attractive proposition. Some may not pursue that, but most will and won't listen to a word you say if you try to stop them. To them, people who preach abstinence only are just a bunch of asshole adults (or fellow asshole teenagers, they won't make a distinction) who "Don't know what I'm going through, man!". Simply put, you cannot stop them and by trying you are making your position invalid to them. By advocating safe sex you are allowing them to fulfill their urges, and the only small limits you are trying to get them to practice are there for very good, completely obvious reasons. Through that, you come off as legitimately caring about their well being instead of just trying to keep them down, and as such they will listen to you far more often.

We don't say "you should do this because blah," we say "we recommend you do this" and give them a bunch of good reasons, most of them bounded in science, as to why they should probably listen. This only after we've gotten them to listen to us in the first place by showing them the benefits of, if not following God, then being in a community of people who actively care about each other's welfare and follow a doctrine that teaches love and tolerance (not that half the misguided bigots in my church are actually tolerant, but the ones that are make all the difference from any other group they could get into).

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 07, 2011, 05:33:10 pm »

This isn't an answer, it's just restating the question.  My question is how do you decide which "consistent" things you bolt on to your view of the world, considering that there are a virtually infinite number of them and many of them will be mutually exclusive or directly contradictory to others?

Bolt them on one at a time, checking for contradictions, and when you find contradictions, rework things.

This is not that novel of a concept.  It's like "Do you want the axiom of choice or not?  You get to decide!"
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 07, 2011, 05:38:31 pm »

You cannot trust your personal anecdotes as evidence.

Trusting everyone else's personal anecdotes, however, is perfectly alright. I mean, as long as they're peer reviewed.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 07, 2011, 05:41:39 pm »

I guess I'll also point everyone to the shockingly large number of religious mathematicians.  Does "God created the natural numbers--all else is the work of man" ring a bell for anyone?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 07, 2011, 05:45:15 pm »

I have heard people say that ei * pi = -1 is a divine formula, which is rather ironic considering the involvement of the imaginary number...
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27