Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 48

Author Topic: Totem Mafia - A BYOR - Game Over  (Read 138394 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Totem Mafia - A BYOR - Voting Round 1
« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2011, 02:09:59 pm »

How about you answer my question seriously instead.

I was hoping to see a different answer than 'obvjester it up.'
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2011, 02:15:33 pm »

How about you answer my question seriously instead.

I was hoping to see a different answer than 'obvjester it up.'
Too bad, sweetcheeks. Its an honest answer.
Long Live United Forenia!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2011, 02:17:59 pm »

Do you ever wonder why you end up on the chopping block in half the games you're in?

Maybe because you think intentionally drawing suspicion to yourself is a good idea.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2011, 02:24:35 pm »

Do you ever wonder why you end up on the chopping block in half the games you're in?

Maybe because you think intentionally drawing suspicion to yourself is a good idea.
Wait, what?
Aww, nuts, you're completely right. Why didn't I think of that?
Long Live United Forenia!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2011, 02:38:04 pm »

Because you're dumb.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Totem Mafia - A BYOR - Signups CLOSED
« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2011, 02:54:36 pm »

Leafsnail: What role do you think would be easy to play in this game ?
Unlynchable pentakiller Any kind of strong investigative role.  You play normally in the day and get extra information on your suspicions at night.  Doesn't get much simpler than that.

The harder to detect part is the reason. [referring to arsonists]
And to expand on this, that they can avoid detection up until the point where they can kill 5 people at once and win.

Leafsnail, you've had lots of success as third parties. As any third party, what role or combination of roles would give you trouble?
Vigilantes.  90% of being a third party is surviving long enough to win (barring jesters and the like but I've never played one).  With that in mind, I have a good chance to avoid being lynched since I can argue back, I have a good chance to avoid the logically chosen mafia kill if I play a weak game but it's much more difficult to put up defenses against town players gunning for you, since they often chose their kills based more on whim (and even if their suspicion of you is irrational it'll still end your game).

On a related note, cops and roleblockers can be equally bad depending on situation (cops if I look like scum or the town wants to lynch third parties to be safe, roleblockers if I do something obvious every night that people will notice isn't happening anymore).

Leafsnail, how do you plan to get out of RVS?
Same way as everyone else should - voting someone with a serious suspicion.

With that in mind, I think it's time to end RVS.
Powder, if you were a cop, and got a guilty result n1, would you claim right away? You wouldn't know if there was any protective roles around.
Ottofar, I'll admit it.  This is a pretty subtle and crafty form of rolefishing.  Hmm... I guess not so much "rolefishing" as "who-should-we-kill-tonightfishing" (working out who would be most dangerous if they had certain roles).  Why are you trying to give the mafia more to go on for their nightkill?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2011, 02:59:25 pm »

The Counting Stones
Bdthemag: Jim Groovester
Dariush: NUKE9.13
Darvi: Toaster
Jack AT: Vector
Ottofar: Leafsnail
Powder Miner: Ottofar
Simple: Dariush
Toaster: Mysteriousbluepuppet
Zrk2: Simple

Vote Phase ends ~5pm Pacific Tuesday
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2011, 03:43:22 pm »

Zrk2: How many scum do you think we're dealing with ?

Mostly likely four, since we have sixteen, but five seems possible too. As it's a BYOR I expect a lot of third person roles so most likely four.

Zrk2: How many scum do you think we're dealing with ?

Actually, I'll answer this one since it's not supposed to be hidden for this game. There are 4 Scum players.

Huh, nailed it.

Zrk2: Alternative question then: How do you think this number affect the game ? Does it help us or the scum more ?

1:4 is a lower ratio than usual, IIRC it's usually 1:3, so town will have be less penalized if they screw up, but it also implies several third parties so I expect some really screwed up night results.

Jim, starting another witch hunt on the flimsiest of suspicions again I see, while I understand your style I still don't like it, it causes too much tunneling. How would you go about beating the town as a scum? As a SK?

Powder Miner: Who the Hell are you? What's your animal? I don't require any actual roleclaim, though, just an animal.

Max White: How long have you played mafia?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2011, 03:45:24 pm »

Jim: If I end up lurking it either means im procrastinating or im busy. But chances are, if im lurking it would probally because of the whole procrastinating thing.

Darvi[/colr]: If you were scum, who here would you want as one of your scumbuddies?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2011, 03:47:14 pm »

Powder Miner: Who the Hell are you? What's your animal? I don't require any actual roleclaim, though, just an animal.
Rolefishing.  And going for an inexperienced player who might fall for it too.  Classy.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 30, 2011, 03:51:08 pm »

Rolefishing.  And going for an inexperienced player who might fall for it too.  Classy.

Damn right. Who cares about class, so long as the scum gets hung? Also, it's a BYOR so everyone has a role, so a RC isn't as big of a deal. Get everything out in the open and give us more information to deal with. I'm a Walrus, problem?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 30, 2011, 04:13:57 pm »

Jim: If I end up lurking it either means im procrastinating or im busy. But chances are, if im lurking it would probally because of the whole procrastinating thing.

So I should ignore all that talk before the game started, where you said you lurked to help out your team since you never did anything good, because your procrastination is the only thing I should worry when you're lurking.

Right.

Jim, starting another witch hunt on the flimsiest of suspicions again I see, while I understand your style I still don't like it, it causes too much tunneling. How would you go about beating the town as a scum? As a SK?

What flimsy suspicions? What tunneling?

What the hell are you talking about?

And who the hell are you to tell me the flaws of my style?

As scum, I would hunt like town and mislynch town.

As an SK, I would lynch scum, and then kill town. Or the other way around. You don't have to be too picky as an SK.

That's the simple answer, but since this is a role heavy game by definition, there are lots of roles that could interfere with that. Without any idea of what roles there are, I would have no idea how to combat them, asides from sticking to simple, straightforward play until I get more information. Straightforward play tends to work well regardless of roles anyway.

Damn right. Who cares about class, so long as the scum gets hung? Also, it's a BYOR so everyone has a role, so a RC isn't as big of a deal. Get everything out in the open and give us more information to deal with. I'm a Walrus, problem?

Rolefishing, and actively encouraging roleclaiming, early in Day 1.

Right. Of course you're town.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 30, 2011, 04:17:45 pm »

Exactly. Remind me again why roleclaims are bad. Giving the scum too much to work with? Everyone here has a role, so I see no reason not to claim and give the town more information to work with, since no one role should be more OP than the others, for balance. Hell, mine is pretty stereotypical, straight out of a BM.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 30, 2011, 04:24:26 pm »

Unvote.  I still expect an answer Ottofar but this is unforgivable.

Who cares about class, so long as the scum gets hung?
This perfectly sums up how a town player should play.  They should not care about class and should instead focus on getting scum lynched.

So, since you agree with me that class shouldn't matter to a townie, why are you trying to find out people's classes, something that should only matter to scum?  I'll tell you why.  It's because you're scum, Zrk2.

Get everything out in the open and give us more information to deal with.
I completely agree with this one too, assuming by "us" you mean "me and the other people who share my alignment".

And yes, if you're mafia you won't care much about revealing your role since your team isn't going to kill you.

Exactly. Remind me again why roleclaims are bad. Giving the scum too much to work with? Everyone here has a role, so I see no reason not to claim and give the town more information to work with, since no one role should be more OP than the others, for balance.
Balance means the teams balance.  Not that each individual player needs to be exactly as powerful as all others (indeed, making a game like that would be basically impossible).  It might be that the game is balanced because the town has some really strong players that counteract the scum's really strong players.  And you're trying to knock it out of balance by finding the town's strong players so you can kill them tonight.

Even if all the players were equal, it'd still be great for you if you knew who is, say, the most likely to be a doctor (so you can kill him without it being blocked).

Hell, mine is pretty stereotypical, straight out of a BM.
Yeah mafia players don't care about revealing their role, we know.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 30, 2011, 04:42:28 pm »

Exactly. Remind me again why roleclaims are bad. Giving the scum too much to work with? Everyone here has a role, so I see no reason not to claim and give the town more information to work with, since no one role should be more OP than the others, for balance. Hell, mine is pretty stereotypical, straight out of a BM.

Allow me to direct you to the post above mine for a very good explanation.

Also allow me to direct you to the post above mine for several good reasons why you are scum.

Also, answer my questions. You can't just say I'm starting a witchhunt from flimsy suspicions without explaining what they are or why they're flimsy.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 48