Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 48

Author Topic: Totem Mafia - A BYOR - Game Over  (Read 138278 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Totem Mafia - A BYOR - Game Over
« on: September 28, 2011, 05:54:09 pm »

Decided to run a game type I haven't before, a Bring Your Own Role.

In this case, it's going to be animal themed. Each player is an Elder of a Tribe, and each player has Animal Totem that grants them power. The Elders are in the Spirit Tent performing a ritual to help them guide the tribe. However, there is strife. A few of the Elders have conspired to remove the others from the spirit journey so that their ideas are the only ones being considered. The rest are trying to stop them.

When you sign up PM me the Animal you want as your totem. No two players can have the same animal, so sending in a few alternates is a good idea. Real animals only, please. And preferably ones that would reasonably be used as totems.

Game size will be 9 min, 16 max.

Sign-ups finished a lot sooner than I'd thought. So...yeah. Game will start once I've got all this sorted out.

Lurkertracker for Totem Mafia

Players:
  • Bdthemag Loyal Elder - Leopard Seal Totem
  • Mysteriousbluepuppet Loyal Elder - Moose Totem
  • Leafsnail Loyal Elder - Snail Totem
  • Max White Loyal Elder - Mongoose Totem
  • Irony Owl Underhanded Elder - Scorpion Totem
  • NativeForeigner Loyal Elder - Axolotl Totem
  • Jim Groovester - Loyal Elder - Owl Totem
  • Powder Miner Underhanded Elder - Gut Worm Totem
  • NUKE9.13 Underhanded Elder - Bee Totem
  • Jack AT - Loyal Elder - Cane Toad totem
  • Vector Loyal Elder - Nautilus Totem
  • Simple Underhanded Elder - Raven Totem
  • Dariush - Loyal Elder - Tasmanian Devil Totem
  • Ottofar Loyal Elder - Cavy Totem
  • Toaster Independent - Grizzly Bear Totem
  • Zrk2 Loyal Elder - Walrus Totem

Darvi has been replaced by NativeForeigner

The Walrus, strong and protective. You have forged a connection with this spirit, and it has granted you magic. During a Spirit Walk you may choose to protect another Elder from harm. Should they be attacked, the strength of the walrus shall prevent them from being ejected from the Spirit Realm.

The Gut Worm is a hidden thing. None before you have ever found it, nor gained its magic. And through it you can watch the thoughts of others. Each Spirit Walk you may use the power of the Gut Worm to view the Goal of another Elder. You cannot learn specifics, but you will know if they intend to Attack, Hinder, View, Protect, or Do Nothing.

The Nautilus, wanderer of the great depths. You have forged a connection with this spirit, and it has granted you magic. Using this magic you can sense what is going on with the tribe outside of the Spirit Hall, and you may freely speak with any Elders who have been removed from the Spirit Moot.

The Snail, solid and stoic in the face of danger. You have forged a connection with this spirit, and it has granted you magic. With the shell of a snail you are immune to attacks during a Spirit Walk.

The Cavy, social and upbeat! You have forged a connection with this spirit, and it has granted you magic. Others enjoy your company, and find it harder to remove you from the ring. You require one more vote than normal to eject from the Spirit Moot.

The Leopard Seal, a brave and cunning hunter. You have forged a connection with this spirit, and it has granted you magic. Like the Leopard seal, you pounce on your prey with the opportunity strikes. Should there be a tie between the one you vote for and another, then your vote will break that tie.

The Raven, clever and tricky. Using the power of the Raven during a Spirit Walk on another Elder will allow you to foil their plans, Blocking whatever action they wished to perform.

The Mongoose, inquisitive and fearless. You have forged a connection with this spirit, and it has granted you magic. During a Spirit Walk you may choose to investigate another Elder to see where their allegiance lies.

The Bee is a powerful force in the world. Its community is strong, and each bee will do whatever it must to protect it. By mastering the magic of the Bee you grant yourself will fight even to the end. Should you be attacked during a Spirit Walk, you will take out the one who attacked you. Should you be voted from the Ring, you will take one who voted against you out with you as well.

The Axolotl, a small yet fascinating creature that knows the wisdom of childhood. You have forged a connection with this spirit, and it has granted you magic. You may use the eternal playfulness of this creature to redirect another Elder during the Spirit Walk to a target they had not intended.

The Moose, strong and temperamental. You have forged a connection with this spirit, and it has granted you magic. If your temper rises enough during deliberations, you can call forth this magic to simply end discussion for the day. However, you can only do this once during the Spirit Moot.

The magic of the Scorpion is difficult to master. Stinging tail and grasping claws are not to be trifled with. And yet master it you have. Each Spirit Walk you may use the poison sting of the Scorpion to sap the strength of another and give it to yourself. The one you target will lose their vote for the next day, and you will gain it instead.

Many Elders find safe spirits to petition. Others find strange and unusual animals to seek out. But you...you had the strength and will to forge a connection with the mighty Grizzly Bear. That same will that made you one of the youngest Elders in the history of the tribe. The same will that is going to make you the youngest Chief!

During each Spirit Walk you may choose to either attack another elder, forcibly removing them from the spirit realm and taking them out of the running for chief, or you may defend yourself to ensure that you yourself cannot be taken you.

In this, only you are important. Only by becoming Chief yourself will you consider this Spirit Moot to have been a success.

The Owl, ghost hunter of the night. In the Spirit Realm, it is ever watchful and elusive. You have forged a connection with this spirit, and it has granted you magic. Using this magic you make yourself immune to the actions of the other Elders during a Spirit Walk. With the eyes of the owl you see them before they reach you, and with silent wings you are long gone by the time they reach where you were.

The Cane Toad, a creature which knows that patience and persistence brings victory. You have forged a connection with this spirit, and it has granted you magic. Your influence begins small, with naught but your voice. However, as the Spirit Moot progresses your voice will gain in power and strength, and other shall increasingly heed those words.

(In game terms, your vote counts for 0 votes day 1, 1 vote days 2-3, 2 votes day 4-5 and 3 votes day 6+)

The Tasmanian Devil, a small yet vicious beast. You have forged a connection with this spirit, and it has granted you magic. Should you be targeted by another during the Spirit Walk, you will cast their spirit out!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 04:19:50 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Totem Mafia - A BYOR
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 05:54:26 pm »

Basic Rules:

The rules here are very similar to the Supernatural Mafia rules set, with some tweaks to represent the flavor of this game.

Roles: Obviously there is no set role list. I will try to grant powers at least somewhat related to the animal, but don't be surprised if I take a somewhat unusual approach. After all, these are Spirit Animals, not the actual creature.

All players are Town Aligned unless noted otherwise in their Role PM.

Quoting the Mod without permission results in a Modkill and a ban from the next game I run.

PMs are not allowed unless your Role specifically allows it.

Days will go for 72 hours (Ignoring weekends) or until everyone has voted (if there is a long period of inactivity after everyone votes I'll end the day to keep things moving).
    In the event of a tie, no lynch will occur.

Night will go for 24 hours, though that's somewhat flexible. If you do not have your action in within the 24 hours you run the risk of losing your action for the night, though. If you choose not to use your action, please send that instead of just waiting for me to get on with the night without you.

Extensions: Extensions require at least 25% of the living players requesting an extension. Votes against the extension will reduce the counted number requesting (so, of 8 players if 3 vote for an extension and one votes against it it's still 2 for, which is 25%, which grants the extension.)
Extensions will extend the day by 24 hours. No more then two extensions will be granted on any given game day.

Shortening works similar to Extensions but requires a majority of players to actually occur, due to the huge effect a shortening can have no the game.

All votes should be colored red to make it easy for me to spot them.

In the event of a tie, a No-Lynch will occur.

Speaking While Dead: The 'dead' may post once after they have died to comment on their death. They may not provide any information about the game in this post. After this, any posting in the game before it has ended will result in a one game ban from future games. Repeated abuse, or posts that have a major impact on the game, can result in a permaban from any future games.

You don't actually die in this one, you're just kicked out of the spirit realm.

Scum will have special chat areas on http://www.quicktopic.com. I will PM the appropriate link to you at the start of the game or when you die.

There will be a 'Dead' chat for players who have been knocked out of the spirit realm. Chat away.

Event Order: The order of events is generally as follows:

Misdirection
    Role-blocking
    Protection
    Investigations
    Night Kills/Conversions

All kills will be effectively simultaneous. (I may make some literary liberties with this in the PMs, though)

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 06:10:18 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 06:01:30 pm »

So... Is facehugger a viable animal?

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 06:02:40 pm »

To the dismay of everyone here, i'll in. Im going to go more for the "Say what im thinking" tactic, sure i'll get lynched early but atleast I won't be lurking.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 06:03:53 pm »

Used chestburster as my first BYOr role, damn it was awesome.

Also, playing pendINg rules

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 06:05:45 pm »

In.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 06:08:02 pm »

So many to choose from... Praying mantis, penguin, finch, the list goes on!

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 06:08:49 pm »

I guarentee atleast three people will choose penguin.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 06:10:39 pm »

Then somebody else will choose leopard seal and shit will be awesome.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 06:13:16 pm »

Yeah why not. In

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 06:13:59 pm »

In.

When you say post the animal, do you really mean PM you?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 06:15:31 pm »

In.

When you say post the animal, do you really mean PM you?

Yeah, I corrected that in the OP.
Come play Mafia with us!

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 06:20:29 pm »

I'll in if you define what "real" means :P

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 06:21:32 pm »

I'll in if you define what "real" means :P

Let's go with an actual, living creature on Earth. No plants, fungus, microbes, or the like.
Come play Mafia with us!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 06:30:36 pm »

In.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 48