Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 220

Author Topic: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 416a)  (Read 231521 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Summer 416a)
« Reply #2520 on: January 05, 2012, 01:09:59 am »

Pasha shook his cloak out and set it aside; he could dry it near the fire later. "Pasha, darling, I'm not sure this cave is as secret as we might have thought..." Tala said, crouched near the back of the cave. He came over to inspect her findings. "Looks kind of old, though. I doubt it's been used in decades." He swept the cigar butts to the very back of the cave with the side of his boot. "You should keep that, though. It looks like it would suit you well," he said, indicating the wolf fang. He doubted anyone would come looking for it.

Leaving her to explore as she wished, he went back to the front of the cave and started building a fire. The roof of the cave was sloped outward naturally, so the smoke would follow it up and out as long as he kept it fairly close to the entrance, just out of range of the splashing water. The sleeping bag he had requested had also been brought, wrapped in the sort of waterproof tarpaulin sailors used to keep the more delicate goods on the ship dry. He could use that to leave the cave with rather than wet his cloak a second time. Once he had the fire started, he sat against the wall and turned to watch Tala. Maybe now with some firelight to better see by, she would find something else interesting...
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: January 05, 2012, 01:33:01 am »

Simon waved the two guards off as he stood, and said, "Sorry I have much to do, so sadly I must decline you your hospitality. Now, good day, and maybe goodbye." With that Simon strode off back into the city. He began to search every where he could for signs of swordsman, or the like.

Search for other swordsman. If I find any hire them (Recruit a Group of Swordsman with my Ducats)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: January 05, 2012, 01:55:11 am »

Tala drew the fang amulet against her slender neck, resting it above the loop of Pashas necklace. She grinned. Tala liked to believe she was still a looter at heart-little trophies like this became the mementoes she used to remember specific events, like this one.

The light of the fire revealed naught in the cave but old pheasant bones from the last meal of whoever had inhabited this place.

Examining the necklace by the light revealed an tiny inscription written around the silver cap, in the Upper Udanese language-to her knowledge, if had been more like a hundred years since anyone had used that. She read it out loud.

"Heart...of the Wolf beats for...ah, the last few words are too heavily corroded. It might be a name. Rats."

She supposed a careful jeweler might be able to reconstruct it in full...she found herself carefully turning it over, murmuring words, and pacing and moving about the cavern slowly-occasionally making a sigh as she was foiled, or vindicated. Eventually she sat down, stretching her arms. Tala quite forgot where she was for a moment.

Then, she noticed Pasha looking at her in an odd way. He seemed to be just enjoying watching Tala...just being Tala. She had never seen such a look of contentment.

"What is it? What?" She said, removing a stray lock of red hair from her brow with a puzzled look. That lock of hair was always getting free!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: January 05, 2012, 02:38:47 am »

"Nothing," Pasha said warmly. The city and its people were Tala's element; she seemed most at home among the hustle and bustle. But out here, in the wilderness, where the only music was birdsong, was his home... and she fit into it better than he could have imagined. He only hoped he could come to feel as at home in Talama. "I'm merely enjoying you being near me." For most of his childhood and his young adult life, he had merely been going through the motions of existence, doing what he needed to keep himself alive for one more day... and then as an adult he had lost himself in various diversions; even his initial pursuit of Tala had been a product of mere physical attraction. He hadn't found her intriguing until she had refused him. And once he had gotten to know her... and found himself in a position of power over her... he had thought about their relationship. And he had destroyed the evidence.

He trusted and loved her, but truthfully he was a little scared by those emotions. He had let her into his heart, something he hadn't done for any man or woman before her, and because of that he wasn't sure how to express himself to her. He wasn't sure how to handle having a friend; worse, he had no clue how to handle an actual lover, not a fling to be carelessly tossed aside when he skipped town. He closed his eyes and listened to the sound of the waterfall for a moment. That look of puzzlement; he could still see it clearly, even though it came from her so rarely. He opened his eyes when he felt her move closer to him, and he put his arm around her shoulders, pushing back a stray lock of her hair as he did so.

With his other hand, he reached around in the bag he had brought and fished out the honey ale. "I believe you promised me a tale, my dear lady, and I intend to hold you to it... but I'm not such a villain as to make you tell it with a dry throat." He smiled and passed it over before dragging the bag over to rest on their laps. "As for me, I think I will take... an... apple," he said as he found one amidst the assorted foodstuffs. He bit into it and looked at her expectantly - and probably a little ridiculously since the rather large apple he was holding obscured the lower part of his face.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: January 05, 2012, 04:39:11 pm »

"Of course, Captain," Terryn replied, taking a more formal tone now, "But know that I will need your cooperation, perhaps even your trust, should we work together in this endeavor." He paused, making a show of considering for a moment. "You see, I know his numbers and I know the extent of his Chapter's abilities. Not only this, but I can lead him into a trap-- or any other situation you desire-- with little effort. But, I cannot do this alone. My plan is rather simple, you will find. I will lure him away from his troops and his guards. Once alone, you and I shall strike in tandem, slaying him...or capturing him first, if you wish. As for his Chapter, well...I haven't a clue how many guards you've on hand for such an endeavor, I'm sure I can work out a strategy that involves the combined might of both Polca and the Thornbred."

He smiled, gesturing to himself with a wave of the hand. "This is what I do, Captain. I was trained to be a tactician. But even the best training falls short when you don't even know what sort of forces you have on your side."

He thinks about this for a few moments, [32] and eventually pours himself and you a glass of liqour. He chokes down the entire glass at once and simply stares at you. You can see the wheels turning in his head and eventually he blinks and simply says, "Do whatever you want - My men will be given orders to follow you, within reason. They're still my men and if you try to use them to harm the city in any way, they'll kill you without question"

"I can give you what you want. Your gang gets immunity from the law. Either by legalization or by the guards just ignoring you, that’s up to you. As well as support from me and my men in case of any major problems. In return all I ask is your support in the coming days, that you don't hurt any civilians who aren't purposely trying to screw with you, and that you continue with your business."

[6/3/3]
They, overall, seem receptive to your plans. Truly they have little to lose but a few men. If everything goes poorly, they're back to where they began before you appeared. They're interested in your plans
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: January 05, 2012, 05:17:58 pm »

He thinks about this for a few moments, [32] and eventually pours himself and you a glass of liqour. He chokes down the entire glass at once and simply stares at you. You can see the wheels turning in his head and eventually he blinks and simply says, "Do whatever you want - My men will be given orders to follow you, within reason. They're still my men and if you try to use them to harm the city in any way, they'll kill you without question"

Terryn smiled his most amiable smile, extending a hand for a shake. "Naturally, Captain. I would expect nothing less from this city's defenders." The smile then faded away into a grim and serious expression once more, "Now, how many men do you have? How many regiments? Do any of them have non-standard training? I need to know, if this will be successful. As for my part, the Thornbred number around 20. Our equipment varies, but we are altogether skilled enough to match any regular regiment on the field."
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: January 05, 2012, 05:43:24 pm »

With his other hand, he reached around in the bag he had brought and fished out the honey ale. "I believe you promised me a tale, my dear lady, and I intend to hold you to it... but I'm not such a villain as to make you tell it with a dry throat."

Tala pulled two wine glasses from the basket the servant had placed earlier. She took a delcious sip before leaning back again the cave wall, and speaking.

"Well, I wouldn't want to keep you in suspense, Pasha.

I was only 16 when I had to leave my home town-you remember why..."

Talas smile fell a bit, remembering the first dark deed she had done-and why. He just wouldn't take no for an answer...

"Well, after that I hit the roads. A city girl like me, travelling alone in the wilderness...I had to be very careful.

But, they stopped eventually, and I was alone. I found food where I could get it..."

Tala had improvised a black bandit hood to go with her tiny knife. She wasn't going to be hurting anyone with these, but yet...

When the farmer came down the road, she stepped out in front of the potato cart, knowing full well he could just ride her down. Tala had called out, in a badly disguised voice.

"Stop! This is a robbery! I am robbing you!"

The effect has been...somewhat less than she had hoped. The farmer had burst out laughing. Not a good start for her first crime. When he stopped, she was surprised to find his voice was not cruel.

"Ahh, forgive me.

If you're hungry, young madam, you can take one or two."

Tala had been too embarrassed to do anything but take a dozen potatoes and place them in a small sack, trying not to meet the farmers gaze. Then she had run off into the forest, scowling.

"My first crimes were ones of nessecity...and often I was alone. Well, most of the time...but I found places, like this one..."

Tala said, motioning to the cave.

"...and I could see the stars at night, away from the light and smoke of the city. It wasn't so bad. But, I was called back eventually. I couldn't live out there forever."

Talas first winter was tough-the point she realized no amount of shelter she could make, or supplies she could gather would keep her alive.

She made her way back to the city streets...and warmth. And opportunity...

"I guess that's when I became a theif. The first winter. I started picking pockets...and then breaking into apartments...it was easy for me. Too easy, maybe. I stole for the thrill. Got myself into trouble again.

They were still chasing me, of course. For criminals, they had long memory-I was the one who defied them after all, I was supposed to be an example.."

The man sneered suggestively.

"We'll make an example out of you, girl...surrender, and I'll go easy on you..."

She didn't answer-merely shifted her stance in preperation for the attack. She had been lucky that day-he was more experienced, had a long blade and had backed into her into a dead end alley. But he was trying to capture her alive, instead of kill her. She knew why.

The thought of being captured made her angry...and very afraid. Her blade spun toward him.

She left the alleyway, leaving him behind her, bleeding on the ground. No longer was she a victim-she was a survivor.

"It kept going-they kept coming. I spent as much time in the wilderness as I could, and kept moving...for three long years.

Then I was recruited by the Dragon Empire."

Tala visibly shuddered at that. It had been seven days they kept her in the safehouse...seven days. They hadn't left many scars, at least on the outside. They were very professional.

Trying to make her talk? She didn't know anything. They were trying to break her. Tala knew if she broke, she died-so she didn't, and she survived.

"Well, I shall not recount what I underwent after that. Let's just say Pasha, your wild rose had her own trial to endure, as you did in your fathers dungeons. She survived, barely. "

Tala was glad the memories were fading again-appeased at having been told. She crossed the room, needing his embrace.

"...and now she's here with you. And, she's very happy..."

Tala laid her head on Pashas chest.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buy some drinks for the soldiers who might make good muscle, good scouts and especially those who -need- someone to command them.  Make friends and learn names, but don't do any hires just yet - keep them in mind for the future and give the most promising a couple of coins for the card games.  Keep an eye out for a decent scout/lookout for the present job. 

Try to find out via gossip who the ladies' guards are and if Juan can find them, become drinking buddies.  Try to find out what 'public engagements' they are being hired for and when.  Pose as needing the work himself and ask where they get their uniforms from and how they got the job.

[5]

You gain casual knowledge of the various pockets of Royalist soldiers and scoots that hang in and around the area. You feel you could call on more than a few if you can assure them the money is good-and they have a seething anger that is fairly undirected.

Many of them maintain relationships with those still in the army-and many of those they know have sympathy for the cause...

[3]

It's not hard to find the three guards-laboring for Nobles is probably the best job an out of work soldier can get. In this case, it's two men and one woman, all recently discharged, and being paid well to keep a wary eye. They seem to be pretty tight lipped about 'engagements'-implying a degree of inbred cautiousness. The leader of them in particular-Albrad-keeps the other younger soldiers in line.

You approach them asking about a job-posing yourself as one of them, naturally.

The man who seems to be the leader of them offers to speak with you, after a few drinks of course.

"Work? Well, it's tough to say. The Couple doesn't like too much security around them, prefer it to be unseen and unheard. I'm not sure if they'll hire you in addition to us three. And, frankly mate, I'd rather not lose my job either..."

The woman cocks an eye at you.

"What unit did you serve in again, did you say?"
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: January 05, 2012, 07:08:49 pm »

Franz looked at the scared face of Awalia.

"Not so smug now eh? Come on, one final fight, eh?"

Franz aggressively attacks Awalia, not letting her regain herself or arm herself.

That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: January 05, 2012, 07:39:09 pm »

Government reforms:
The murder by self-defense law is changed. If someone can prove beyond any doubt that he had to kill an attacker to save his own life, then it is not a crime.
Criminals sentenced to death will now be hanged instead of being sent to the arena. Those who which to die in the arena can become gladiators. The arena will now be used for tournaments, duels and sportive activities.
An investigation will be started in the government to make sure that the officials are all competent. This investigation will also be used to see if there is corruption in the government.
Taloisism is now the state religion. The worship is not mandatory, and the other religions are not made illegal.

Evaluate the level of happiness of the people, and evaluate how much people are in favor of slavery.

Send messengers to every nation in this part of the Storm Coast. They must inform the officials that anyone who will bring Laythe Ralia alive to Talama will receive 5 ducats. They should spread the word everywhere they go, and also spread stories of Laythe's madness and cruelty.

Spend 2.4d to have the Wine Business start producing goods.

Send a messenger to Shola, carrying the following letter:

Spoiler: Letter to Lord Cain (click to show/hide)

Production will be allowed under current ruleset, note though that this will likely change in the future
+1 Unit Wine
-2.4d

Taloisism is now the state religion

Arena notices are considered fluff, and as they had no effect previously - maintain no effect. Arena will likely be considered a building with a triggerable effect. In curent regard, you can spend ducats to host fights and tournaments. Increasing happiness.

Investigation: [433] A large number of governmental employees are found to be lazy, but nothing malicious. It would seem that many of them have grown complacent at their jobs given theres never been any incentive in their work. Your investigations team awaits orders on how to proceed...

Slavery: [144] The only people that have any interest in the slavery aspect of the nation are those -with- slaves, and the slaves themselves. Making slavery illegal will upset those with slaves, but seeing as there is little industrial need for expendable labor the national effect would be negligible.

Messengers: The notices are placed. Your agents are granted a +1 to esionage rolls involving locating Laythe
-[2] On another note, response from Cain is oddly lacking
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: January 05, 2012, 07:50:50 pm »

They, overall, seem receptive to your plans. Truly they have little to lose but a few men. If everything goes poorly, they're back to where they began before you appeared. They're interested in your plans

William shrugs, his fingers tapping against his leather leggings through his coat pocket.
"To tell you the truth I don't really need nothing from you. Although a regiment of fighters would be appreciated...But that's up to you...As for my plans, lets say, I hope to bring a change about in Polca's government."
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: January 05, 2012, 08:12:14 pm »

In the barracks, a note was sent to Nikephoros. It came from Kathos, and the Lord Chancellor had apparently decided to keep things short.

Nikephoros,
I have finished to make my initial reforms in the government. Meet me in the council room. We need to talk.
-Kathos.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: January 05, 2012, 08:23:13 pm »

[Bluff] Juan's face goes completely still at the woman's question.  He stares at his drink for a moment, then looks back up.

"Royal Scout division.  I was one of the lucky ones.  There weren't many of us."  Juan coughs then feigns a smile and a forced jolly tone.  "Past's not something I want to talk about, okay?  Let's look to the future, right Albrad?  And the future I'm looking forward to is clearing the change out of my pocket with my new friends and hey - maybe I'll find work with some other nobs.  Let's drown our sorrows in some more swill, eh?"  Juan signals for another round for the bodyguards, nursing his own mostly-full pint.

Juan works to try and get all three bodyguards dead drunk, or at least too drunk to walk.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: January 05, 2012, 08:46:33 pm »

[3 vs 3]
[?]

"Scouts bought us all the time to escape...I remember. Lost my...friend in that mess. I guess more than a friend."

The woman seems to buy your story, nodding sadly. You're not if she suspects you, or if speaking of the Scouts just brought up painful memories she needs to talk to someone about...unfortunately, you're an assassin and not a psychiatrist, if those even exist yet.

"Did you know Rikto Allworthy? He was friends with everybody in the Scouts...organized all those card games. He'd give you the shirt off his back, too...he was a good man."

She takes another drink after hearing your answer.

Albrad pats her on the back, trying to comfort her.

"Another round, here-for the true Soldiers! Our sorrows need drowning, you got that right."

[1]

The woman seems to get blackly drunk-with the occasional crying jag-but her two male companions drink in relative moderation, in comparison. It's clear they're protective of her.

By the time the 'final' toast approaches, everyone is only mildly drunk.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: January 05, 2012, 09:22:56 pm »

"Did he?  I thought it was Paulo organised the card games.  Damn.  Never be able to pay him those shillings back now."

Juan joins them in drinking until last calls, giving a falsely drunken wave to the two bodyguards.

"Hey, make sure she gets home alright, Albrad?  Gotta watch out for gangs these days."

Juan makes his way drunkenly to the next street, sobers up and starts walking at speed through the city, keeping an eye on his trail.  He heads to the docks and buys four lengths of rope, tying them around his waist beneath his jacket.  He takes a circuitous route to his lodgings and puts on his full military uniform (sans palace garb), straightens his uniform as neat and tidy as he can manage and polishes the brass buttons and scabbard with a bit of spit, stuffs a small blade for peeling fruit down one boot, then takes a walk towards the noble district and to the house of Erin Antalagila.  Wearing full uniform and a deliberately empty scabbard, he approaches the house and looks to see if there are lights inside.

Juan buys four lengths of rope suitable for binding hands and feet and conceals them under his jacket/shirt.  He dresses in full uniform and heads to the Antalagila residence.  He leaves his sword at home but takes a knife which he conceals in one boot.

Juan watches the street for onlookers or witnesses.  Provided it is clear, he approaches the house and knocks on the door, taking off his hat and holding it with his sword arm in front of his chest.  If it is not, he takes a ten minute walk and returns to try again - if it is not clear then, he will consider other options.

Juan starts, in a very hands-on way, to train himself in Deceit.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 09:26:37 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: January 05, 2012, 09:38:46 pm »

Juan gets prepared. He finds himself outside of the Antalagila residence.

[6]

He spots no one in the street...at all. Sort of eerie. Bad luck for the women.

Juan walks up and applies the heavy brass knocker to the door.

*rap rap rap*

A few minutes later a blonde-haired woman with sky blue eyes opens the door a crack, enough for Juan to see half of her. She's not bad to look at. She's wearing a pale blue robe, tied at the waist-you probably roused her from sleep.

Her quiet, polite tone doesn't betray any suspicion, but it's not slurred with either sleep or drink.

"Yes? What did you need? It's a bit late..."

Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 220