Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 220

Author Topic: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 416a)  (Read 231955 times)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 415a)
« Reply #1380 on: November 11, 2011, 04:16:49 pm »

"Hmm. Ok, I'll bite. If we can find other faculty members and get some students there, I'd be honored to be a part of the organization."

He talks slightly slower now, thinking things through as he says them. "I assume you have some form of financial backing? If you didn't, you probably wouldn't be hiring teachers yet. Also, you implied that we don't have many, if any, students. Given how the university is catering to nobility, I would recommend approaching as many noble families with progeny within the appropriate age category to pitch the benefits of education to. If possible, send messengers to other lands once construction is nearing completion; the more varied the students are, the more we can advertise as a 'the intellectual center of the world'. Doesn't have to be true, of course, but I've found people eat those taglines up like, I don't know, something people like to eat."

Another pause. "Where would we find educated men to teach... Maybe we could poach some tutors away from wealthy houses... But we'd need to pay them more, or give some other tangible benefit. I need to think about that some more. Unless you have thoughts on how to hire staff members?"

leone313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: November 11, 2011, 04:31:08 pm »

"You get the picture very well. The hard part is going to be recruiting students. But good advertising and some help from certain nobles I know can help a lot. As for financial backing, I am fully funded by the Queen right now, but we would be more comfortable if we could get some donations from merchants or nobles, and we will operate smoothly once the yearly fees start flowing in. In the mean time, the University is still four month at least away from completion, so you should seek another kind of job. As it turns out I may have something for you. Go talk to General Vandire, and tell him I sent you regarding our firearms conversation, and that you are the man we need. By the way, I didn't introduce myself: Avitus Traianus, Earl of the Western Shire of Vasir, and currently diplomatic advisor to the Queen. And you are?"

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: November 11, 2011, 04:40:24 pm »

Ite pushes his chair back from the table and stands up. Bowing slightly to Avitus, he replies "My name is Ite Videte de Moun, sir. Pleasure to meet you. Where might I find the General? And could you tell me a bit about him?"

leone313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: November 11, 2011, 04:47:30 pm »

Avitus smiles at the mention of Moun. "I guess this kingdom is already the center of the world! We come from two lands far away west and east, and here we are both in Talama. Fascinating. About Mr. Vandire, he is a nice man. A good soldier I was told, but intelligent, unlike most mercenaries. Ask someone at the royal Palace, they'll tell you where to find him. Our Queen's is a very open house, even though she isn't the kindest of women."

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: November 11, 2011, 05:09:44 pm »

"Good to know. I guess I'll head up to the palace now, then. By your leave, sir." Ite said with a nod, and left the inn for the palace.

Upon reaching and being admitted into the palace, he questioned a guard as to the whereabouts of General Vandire. After being directed to the General, he explains how he was sent by Avitus to inform Vandire about his potential role in the gunpowder situation.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 08:42:17 pm by Araph »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: November 11, 2011, 05:32:13 pm »

'Tala' made sure to be dressed well as she prepared for the meeting. The Shriners might try something foolish...she decided to place a curved sheath knife on her waist, but decided her guards could stay. A single woman without body guards tended to make men let their guard down...

Action: Head to the robbers flask for the meeting. Go armed, but without guards.

Later...

Hearing about the news that Avitus's University finally getting off the ground, she penned him a letter..

To Avitus Traianus

I've heard exciting news that your University has received the Queens blessing. Congratulations! I feel that there will be no better person than you to be entrusted with the future Nobility.

As you may have guessed, I would be honored to help you in any way-funds, equipment, even manpower. My own education was entirely home grown, and my Family employed many teachers for me, who I imagine would enjoy your patronage today. Many of them are like family to me...

Of course, there's also the opening day! What sort of person would I be if I did not manage a celebration for the unveiling-one that will spread your message far and wide.

So much to discuss! We must organize a meeting, perhaps with the other backers. I wouldn't mind seeing you again, Avitus. I have too busy lately to spend much time with my friends. You know where to find me when you want to talk.

From Tala Alanis

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: November 11, 2011, 05:44:31 pm »

Seek an audience with the queen
You're admitted to the throne room, after waiting for a short while as soon as you arrived at the Palace. An armoured figure sits on the throne, and speaks once you're close enough.

"Yes, what did you want, merchant?"
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

leone313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: November 11, 2011, 06:00:28 pm »

Later that night, Avitus received a letter from Tala Alanis. Funnily, he was just about to write her about the university. He immediately replied, feeling more and more confident about his project.

To Miss Tala Alanis

The kindness you are showing me and the future University by simply offering your help goes right to my heart.
We should meet soon to discuss things. You will be invited to the future location of our main building, and me and my architect will show you around and you will get to see the plans. You will also surely meet the first of our teachers I just recruited today.

Please make me know a date of your choosing, and I shall arrange everything.

With sincere regards, Avitus Traianus.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: November 11, 2011, 07:45:02 pm »

"Mister Thunderblade, I am a man of honour; a master craftsman. I do not make weapons of war, I make exquisite tools of death. The difference is subtle, but it is there. The common soldier does not understand the meaning of my work; to make weapons for them would be a perversion of my nature."

"But you have not said what services you need from me, Mister Thunderblade. I despise the idea of armies full of firearms, but perhaps this is not the services you seek? Perhaps you merely wanted to equip officers, and men who understand death, with hand-crafted pieces worthy of my interest?"

Kathos sighed.

"I understand your opinion, and I respect your ideals. Ligoria needs firearms for his army, but now I know I will not find them here. However, we might still need you. The Queen, for example, has a great taste for weapons - I will talk to her about you, and maybe contact a few other officers and nobles. Thank you for your time."

Leave the boat and return to the palace

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: November 11, 2011, 08:10:30 pm »

His scouts had reported back. A mere three regiments defended the walls of Mileth. Well. There was no time like the present. The runners he had permitted to leave had no doubt reached Ligoria. The plan was, at least in some ways coming together.

The Arctic Fox was still worried slightly that Queen Laythe would do something ridiculously foolish, but..he needed everything to go right to survive anyways. Worry before battle got soldiers killed. Especially when it was the general worrying. The preparations were made, the regiments under his command knew their parts in the battle to come. He regretted for a moment, every life lost tonight. He prayed for a moment, that his own life wouldn't be among them.

"Adjutant! ORDER THE ATTACK! Over those walls! FOR THE DRAGON EMPIRE!"
The Arctic Fox drew his sword dramatically, and he and his personal guard lead the charge.

Attack Mileth. Tactics are : Scale Walls, Split Enemy(just once, into a 1/2 group, Archers and then Heavy/Scout),Conserve Forces.
By my count this is a +2(SW), +2(SE), +2(CF), +2(Multiple Tactics) difficulty (+8 total,) 3+ base, +8, -10 from my tacticians regiments.. and.. -1 from my own personal tactics bonus? I dont seem to have my own bonuses written down.. how odd.
Anyways If I understand the tactics rules properly, I should be succeeding on each tactic.
Should my enemy surrender after one round of combat, this will be honored. In fact, offer surrender after one round of combat should my forces win.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: November 11, 2011, 09:09:11 pm »

Gregor cheers and tells his men to load the cannon(s) He sails close enough to fire, but not be fired back  upon He engages the ship in said fashion
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: November 12, 2011, 01:44:35 am »

Gregor cheers and tells his men to load the cannon(s) He sails close enough to fire, but not be fired back  upon He engages the ship in said fashion

[3] At the sight of your cannonfire, the pirates turn and run for a collection of small islands in the area. Your damage inflicted on their ship is minimal, you're sure at least one shot hit, but the rest miss quite spectacularly. [2] The pirates don't seem strangers to cannonfire and keep changing headings to prevent your crew from managing a clear shot.

William looks and sees if the stockpile is big enough to do real damage to the ship if caught on fire.
"Hey guys, how you doing?"

[2] Doubtful, given the proximity of supplies that'd be able to put out flames...and the fact a pair of well-armed crewmen are present. [5] Your investigation goes unnoticed though, and the cook greets you with a wave - of a meat-cleaver. The crewman simply ignores your presence and continues yammering at the cook awaiting some food.

Head north. If I run into The Arctic Fox's soldiers, offer to be hired on.

[4] You head in the direction of Mileth and arrive about a week after the seige. Empire forces notice yours and take defensive stances at your sight. They appear to be under orders to hang close to the walls. You could avoid them easily, though you can almost be certain you'd be followed for a while.

Have the Bloody Fist keep an eye on Avitus. Sending word out to the underworld that he wants a spy- what does a scholar need a spy for?

[5] The Fist think you're crazy, and almost offended, that you even needed to ask outside of them. Though they do wonder what kind of work you need, they may need to contract out depending on your needs.

Attack Mileth. Tactics are : Scale Walls, Split Enemy(just once, into a 1/2 group, Archers and then Heavy/Scout),Conserve Forces.
Should my enemy surrender after one round of combat, this will be honored. In fact, offer surrender after one round of combat should my forces win.

Tactics roll: 2(+10) vs Difficulty of 3+2+2 - Success

Your units deftly scale the walls of the small city. The city watch is completely caught off guard on the ground inside the walls - while the infantry is no where to be seen; likely waiting for a Flank. Leaving only the archers on the walls...

Round One: 
Attacker: 3+8(8x1 str regiments) = 11
Defender: 4+3(1+1 archer[defence] +1 Archer [walls]) = 7
Winner: Attacker

Caught entirely unaware by the breach of the walls, the advantage of height meant little for after a short period of time. The archers attempted to rain at least a volley into the invading forces, but the bulk of their forces wouldn't move in more than small waves - conserving their forces well enough to negate most of the potential injuries caused by the arrows.

Once upon the walls, the archers quickly found themselves outclassed and outnumbers without the City Guard atop the walls. [5] The commanding officers within the invasion quickly saw the futility in the resistance of the defenders and called for disarmament of the bowmen - rather than their senseless slaughter. Heeding the words of their General, the surrender of forces was honored. (Capture succeeds, 5 remaining tactics over the original rolls at only a +3 cost)

Outcome: Lossless (and kill-free) Victory
-Mileth is now in the control of The Arctic Fox
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 02:35:55 am by CyberGenesis »
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: November 12, 2011, 02:43:44 am »

Hefner curses, and decides to push the towards the islands, becasue if he gets the here he can get a good shot as they manouver the islands. Pushes them toward the islands for a clear shot
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: November 12, 2011, 03:29:12 am »

The Arctic Fox was on the move through the wintry streets of Mileth. Onlookers were gaping at him from their windows, cautious not to step into the street. They'd not seen a Dragon Empire General before, so of course the Arctic Fox was playing it up. Full regalia, honor guard, the damn fool standard. The whole show.

The assault on the walls had been a complete success. Men were being treated in their camp within the city walls. He'd given out the order for the standing forces of Mileth to be gently, but forcibly disarmed, and their weapons placed under secure guard. Fortunately there were very few casualties on either side. This would likely win him some points with the citizenry of Mileth. He was on his way to meet with their mayor. He entered the town hall and left his honor guard outside. He was well armed and armored, and it was empty save for the mayor and a nicely roaring fire.

"Mayor. I thank you for seeing me. I regret that I had to subject your citizenry to this attack."

"Oh look at you, all fancy and respectful. Look, you won, what the hell do you want?"

"There is no need for disrespect. I am not the murderous thug you think I am. In fact I do not even intend to stay long. I spared the lives of your people because their deaths do not serve my agenda. But straight to business.

I intend to annex the taxes of Mileth for my own purposes in the new year. Your people will be treated kindly and respectfully by my soldiers whilst I am here. You will of course continue to act in an official capacity, I will need to know the mood of the people regarding our occupation. Or if any issues crop up you can come straight to me.

Any attempt to foment rebellion will be met with brutal reprisal. You surrendered. It is the way of my people to leave you with one chance to respect the lives I did not take. You may go now. I have to deal with the minutia of an occupation."

The mayors face slowly drained of color as the Arctic Fox spoke. He sputtered a few times but did not speak up.  After being dismissed, he exited the room.
The General's Adjutant, Talarous entered.
"Sir, what are your orders?"

"Send a messenger with a fast horse back to the border fort of Rathalan. The message is simple. We have taken a Storm Coast City. Send reinforcements. Ensure the regiments treat the citizens with respect. And fetch me a local map. That is all."

Actions, but mostly unimportant/can wait. Seize treasury of Mileth. Send messenger back to Dragon Empire. Dig in and wait for events to unfold.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: November 12, 2011, 11:09:18 am »

Action: Head to the robbers flask for the meeting. Go armed, but without guards.
A man and a woman from the Shriners meet with you. They don't look armed, nor do they look like fiendish negotiators.
They explain [1] that there is really nothing to worry about, the Shrine looks out for its own, and if you aren't looking to kill them they'd appreciate it if you would stay out of their business.

Have the Bloody Fist keep an eye on Avitus. Sending word out to the underworld that he wants a spy- what does a scholar need a spy for?
[5] The Fist think you're crazy, and almost offended, that you even needed to ask outside of them. Though they do wonder what kind of work you need, they may need to contract out depending on your needs.
...ah, no, you misunderstand. Hugo doesn't want a spy- Avitus wants a spy, Hugo heard he wants a spy, and now Hugo wants to know why Avitus wants a spy, and what sort of spy he will get. Cut out the middle line; Have the Bloody Fist keep an eye on Avitus. What does a scholar need a spy for?
Long Live United Forenia!
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 220