Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 220

Author Topic: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 416a)  (Read 231919 times)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 415a)
« Reply #1365 on: November 11, 2011, 11:41:41 am »

The next step was to find work somehow. Certainly there would be available jobs, but most of those would be simple labor; another chunk would be craftsman's trades, which would require a skill set Ite did not have. He considered this as he wandered through the streets of Talama. Quite a conundrum for a person unfamiliar with city life. Well, he had nothing to lose. Might as well just ask everyone he met about jobs. But where would he start... probably somewhere where citizens congregate...

He glanced at the buildings around him. On his right there was an somewhat downtrodden looking inn, the Robber's Flask. What a narratively-convienient bit of luck.

Ite enters the inn and begins asking around about jobs suited towards his abilities.

leone313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: November 11, 2011, 11:53:20 am »

"I like to keep my mind busy at all times", Avitus said while closing his book. He clearly showed his satisfaction. "Then maybe we should concentrate on the main building - the tower - for now. Judging by the scope of the project, I assume it will at least take you four months? "

Ite enters the inn and begins asking around about jobs suited towards his abilities.
[5] The barman smiles at you: "You're a machine-builder or something? Funny, that guy over there sitting with the two other lads, he said he needed someone like ya. Should go talk to him."

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: November 11, 2011, 12:08:24 pm »

"Great, thanks" Ite replied to the barman before heading over the the table mentioned. Two men were talking over plans to something, though from this angle he couldn't tell what. He approached them and said "I was asking around about work, the the bartender directed my over here. Apparently you're looking for an engineer or something."

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: November 11, 2011, 12:13:08 pm »

Loot what's worth looting, then wipe Vale from the map and return to Ligoria. Sell the loot there for however much I can get and see Queen Laythe about the land.
...fair enough.
[4] The towns people put up a fight, but they are unarmed and disorganised, and your men suffer only minor injuries. Some of the townspeople escape, but that can't be helped.
Loot: [3,2] Sacking the village earns 3 ducats in plunder. Sacking the castle earns 2.
Destruction: [5] The village is burnt, the roads torn up, and the castle torn down stone by stone, until there is nothing left of the town but scattered masonry and ashes. The survivors flee and never return; it shall be as if Vale never existed.

Find some way to make the rudder not work anymore, without arising too much suscpicion or raising the alarm.
[4] Its a rudder. Disabling it is not exactly rocket science. It does take a while, though, and there's a risk someone might find you...
[5] But no one does, you disable the rudder without any problems. I feel compelled to point out that the rudder is not the source of a boat's propulsion, so they can still escape. They'll just be unable to steer.

"Work on the tower might take less time than that, but without the outlying buildings it won't be much of a university. To do the lot of it would take about four months, yes."

"Oh? You have another guest. Well, I should be off, then. Let me know when you want me to start work."

As he leaves, Hugo stops by a shady table in a corner, whose occupants match it in demeanour. Markings indicate, to those in the know, that they are members of the Bloody Fist. Hugo nods to them amicably.

"I trust that you boys will keep an eye on Avitus's guest? He says he's an engineer, but what spy would confess to his nature in a crowded bar?"

Have the Bloody Fist keep an eye on Avitus. Sending word out to the underworld that he wants a spy- what does a scholar need a spy for?
Long Live United Forenia!

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: November 11, 2011, 12:25:47 pm »

William smiled, he then turned and headed toward where all the rum or alchohol is stockpiled, once again quietly and without raising alarms.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

leone313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: November 11, 2011, 12:34:20 pm »

"See you later Mr. Van Vissersdorp." Avitus turns at Ite: "I am indeed. Please have a seat. What exactly is your field of competency?"

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: November 11, 2011, 12:39:47 pm »

William smiled, he then turned and headed toward where all the rum or alcohol is stockpiled, once again quietly and without raising alarms.
[4] That would be the galley, then. The stockpile is not so large, though- a few jars of wine, a few bottles of stronger things. You make your way there without arousing suspicion, [3] but the galley itself is of course not empty. The cook is at work gutting fish, and despite the smell another crewmember is there chatting with him.
Long Live United Forenia!

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: November 11, 2011, 12:48:36 pm »

Tristan gathered the men. "This is our chance to form our own destiny. We have an opportunity to be out from under the thumb of any ruler, and I intend to take it." No one disagreed. "Good. One person is going to have to go back to Ligoria. Tell them that I bought Vale when William Blackrose was exiled, but he laid a trap for us there, and we fought to a man. Tell them Vale is destroyed and you are the only survivor of our regiment." Jean LaCroix offered to take the message, and Tristan gave him the scrap of paper holding the claim to Vale. "Give that to Queen Laythe. She's welcome to rebuild whatever she wishes on this land."

Jean left, and Tristan turned to the watchmen. "From now on we are our own masters and fly no flag but our own. I propose we head north, away from Ligoria, and see where we can find to settle for the winter."

Head north. If I run into The Arctic Fox's soldiers, offer to be hired on.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: November 11, 2011, 12:49:37 pm »

William looks and sees if the stockpile is big enough to do real damage to the ship if caught on fire.
"Hey guys, how you doing?"
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: November 11, 2011, 12:53:43 pm »

Ite pulls a chair out and seats himself. "My main focus is mechanical engineering, but I also know mathematics. I know a bit about chemistry; not really that much, but a basic understanding."

He studies the plans on the table in front of him momentarily. They seem to be architectural designs, floors of a tower and buildings surrounding it.

"What exactly are you planning here?"

leone313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: November 11, 2011, 01:03:50 pm »

"These are the plans for a University, here in Talama. And, that is part of the reason why you are here. I am offering you to teach there. I actually needed an engineering teacher, but since you apparently know your deal about other fields, you might get to be a lot more than a simple teacher." He paused to take a sip of Scotch. "And... you know chemistry, too? What about, say, the making process of gunpowder?"

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: November 11, 2011, 01:10:48 pm »

Ite paused before responding.

"Do I know how to create gunpowder... yes. But I'm pretty sure that's illegal. You'd need a pretty damn good reason for me to do that. And it will either take a while, or be a bit expensive and require suspicious activity."

He pauses again, then continues.

"What exactly would being 'more than a simple teacher' entail?"

leone313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: November 11, 2011, 01:23:09 pm »

"A greater retribution I guess?" He laughed. "More seriously, you would help me develop both our student base and our courses. Like a sort of... assisting director. Don't worry about that gunpowder issue, in the event we would need your services, it would tie into a completely legal context."

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: November 11, 2011, 01:31:27 pm »

"Nice incentive." Ite smiled. "What were you thinking of having the university teach? Just any courses you can find teachers for?"

Ite privately scrutinizes Avitus, looking for clues about who exactly he is.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 01:46:27 pm by Araph »

leone313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: November 11, 2011, 02:57:32 pm »

protected from the cold by a long gray fur cape with a hood and a wool coat displaying his coat of arms in purple and black on the chest.
[6] You can tell just by looking at him that the man is a noble, though you don't recognize the coat of arms on his clothes. He seems to be the serious type, but you can't really tell a lot more about his general personality. The book with a long and boring title by his side suggests he is a man of culture, if not of actions.

"The goal of that institution will be to educate young nobles, meaning that we will teach them to be good administrators, tacticians, diplomats, conversationalists, and give them a strong basis in scientific matters - something most of today's nobility unfortunately lacks - and other specific skills if need be. And of course some military training to treat their body as profoundly as their mind."
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 220