Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Megaproject: Tower Maximus (currently planning)  (Read 2933 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject: Tower Maximus (currently planning)
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 05:42:50 pm »

Actually, the idea was to make the Dwarven Rorschach goblins instead of ink, and porcelain bricks instead of paper.  I could attempt some art, but the biggest problem is that Stonesense can't catch the whole screen, and Overseer doesn't show contaminants, so there's no way to display it.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 05:44:44 pm »

How about your basic screenshot? I know it's low tech, but it should work just fine.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 05:48:59 pm »

The Minecraft mockup isn't quite what I want.  The issue is that it needs to jut out over the target without posing a problem for flying gibs, but I also want it to have a sturdy base so that it will look cool.  And it's going to be made out of steel, just fyi.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 05:51:04 pm »

Perhaps you could cantilever it?  the lowest Z would be far, far from impact site but each z up would move inwards.  You could even build it as a gigantic arch, with two towers meeting at a hatch cover or 1x1 retracting bridge keystone in the center, from which you drop your victims.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 05:58:56 pm »

Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 06:02:53 pm »

Perhaps...  There was a thread a while back about drawing circles and spheres, does anyone happen to remember it?

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 06:08:23 pm »

Perhaps...  There was a thread a while back about drawing circles and spheres, does anyone happen to remember it?

I don't, but that seems positively useful.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 06:11:01 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=48882.msg1006863#msg1006863

Googled it.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2011, 08:46:04 pm »

Gonna have to disagree there Mitchewawa, as the link in that topic is nonfunctional (Mediafire got rid of the program in question, it seems.) Here's another thread, though, that has both circle guide and the PerfectSphere program download I posted.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84195
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2011, 08:52:46 pm »

Glorious.  This will serve me well.  I think later (maybe tomorrow) I'll try a MC mockup using an arch, or part of an arch to get a smoother set of curves.  Right now, I have a LOT of ore to smelt and a lot of porcelain bricks to bake!

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 02:14:23 pm »

I had a 20z lvl execution tower made from green glass and the body parts can fly a good way up and away from the landing zone. I'd seen limbs as far away as 15. Something worth considering is mass executions. Underneath my mass pit at the top of the tower, I had a retractable bridge. I'd load the thing up with goblins and drop them all at once.

Just don't accidently drop something big in there. I dropped in a troll and couldn't get release the bridge....and I had forty or so goblins in there, so I couldn't deconstruct my walls, they would have slaughtered my military. Finally, I marked the pit as a pond and had the dwarves slowly fill it up with water to drown them....which only slightly worked. Half drowned. Half used the rising water level to climb up out of the hatches and kill many many dwarves.

Actually, looking back my whole idea needs redesigned. Carry on.
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2011, 03:06:24 pm »

A proper mass pitting would involve cave-ins, at least for me...

I'm experimenting a little, dropping captured goblins, trolls, and my modded in morphs (exactly dwarf sized adults) at different levels.  It seems most splatter is in the 3x3 around the impact, but arcing severed parts follow their own set of rules.  I'm almost inclined to say that the exploded limbs function the same as an axedwarf severing a limb.  I've observed them to go similar distances and heights, with ultimately identical splatter patterns.  This is further supported by "and the severed part flies off in an arc" being an identical message in both combat and dropping.

The quest is, is all severing arc the same, or does a large creature/longer fall generate a wider arc?

Gentlemen, I call upon you to kindly produce a bronze colossus adventurer and a strangler.  Both need to sever limbs off enemies and track their arcing distance.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 03:52:26 pm »

When I looked at the first post, I thought about circular tower going up and making living quarters in it. After reading MC sketch post, I got inspired. Effects:

Warning! Big images!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Did my best to share the thoughts. And I also noticed that I missed the bedroom floor, but who gives an urist. Its also 1 block = 1 tile in DF, altrough it was kinda hard to do. Waiting for the effects. :)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 04:01:22 pm »

Not bad, though I want a design with curves and beauty to it.  This is more difficult by the fact that it needs to tilt 25 tiles over from its base, and getting the right curves isn't as easy as I'd hoped...  I'm thinking about a whole round idea, basically a thick ring on the ground, with one side rising upwards almost like a wave and then cresting to a needle point.  Failing that, I may try and make it tilted 50 over, giving me a nice 1:1 rise:run and make it into a sword, throwing goblins off the pommel.  Or a spear.  Or a series of spears set up in the anti-calvary wall position.  I'll probably do that later, but a sword doesn't sound so bad...  Not quite as unique as I was hoping with modernistic designs, but it'll do for now I suppose... not like I can't try again, right?

Also, if I'm doing a sword in the ground, then it should logically pierce further into the ground.  I may or (probably) may not try to dig out a big underground section and have the ceiling bleeding magma.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2011, 05:54:09 pm »

Spoiler: Tower Maximus v2 (click to show/hide)
Using a sphere generator, I created a 1x25x101 sphere, and used the upper portion to make the arch on the right, then the same sphere generator to make a 25x25x101 and used half of it to make the wall.  That's using the sphere pattern, but every next block is left off the edge, giving it a smooth curve, along with the existing sphere curve.  This looks exceedingly like what I want, and I'll likely build a bigger model of this around itself, creating a hollow area between the two cut spheres, somewhat like a russian nesting egg would sit.  This hollow will contain the arena specifics like cages, magma pumps, seating booths, and all that fun.

This does mean that the tower and the arena will be one smooth unit, and I'm wondering if I can add any sprawl on the ground outside, because currently this will look rather like an egg sitting on the ground.  Some additional squared and curved buildings budding off it, like urban sprawl and farmsteads, would add a lot of flavor to it.

Also: In the real version, I'll be skipping every other next block, giving it a steeper incline that should result in a smooth curve up to the very tip, letting the wall reach all the way to the top of the arch.  And ignore the other tower, that's the hollow half of the first version that I slightly dynamited.
Pages: 1 [2] 3