Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Megaproject: Tower Maximus (currently planning)  (Read 2929 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Megaproject: Tower Maximus (currently planning)
« on: September 26, 2011, 01:12:50 pm »

So I'm planning a 50 level execution tower, that will double as an arena and probably a whole fort on its own.  The "target" is planned to be a 25 tile circular landing, but I'm wondering if this is big enough.  How far can I expect the blood splatter to reach, and how large should I plan for my arena/target to be?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 02:29:59 pm by Girlinhat »

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Re: Drop Splatter Range?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 01:36:09 pm »

Either make it as large as possible, or build high walls around it. I know from experience that gibs may fly as high as 10 z-levels from a 27 z-level drop, perhaps even more. Safest bet would be to make 50 z-level high walls around the whole thing. Unless you want to be able to see the entire splatter patterns, instead of just wanting to make sure the bits and pieces remain in the target zone. Then I am afraid I can't help.

Also make sure to give the "target" a proper bullseye pattern.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 01:39:44 pm »

Actually the target is going to be pure porcelain bricks.  Or Sterling Silver blocks, probably porcelain.  And the idea is to observe the whole splatter and gibbing in its unrestrained glory.  It will be beautiful.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 01:43:49 pm »

A 3x3 embark area should be enough. But, as always, the more the better.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 01:47:10 pm »

Do some science.  Drop goblins from various heights and chart the size of the debris pattern.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 01:49:46 pm »

Do some ‼SCIENCE‼.  Drop goblins from various heights and chart the size of the debris pattern.
Fixed that for you. Silly interwezbrs and their typos  :P

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 01:54:58 pm »

There should be little to no actual fire involved in this science.  In fact, the idea is to avoid fire and drop intact bodies.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 02:00:34 pm »

There should be little to no actual fire involved in this science.  In fact, the idea is to avoid fire and drop intact bodies.
It's still ‼Science‼, even if it doesn't have fire. It still contains the criteria of high casualties, gruesome death, and Fun.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 02:11:31 pm »

Wait, why can't it have fire?

i'm all for dropping flaming gobbos off a tower to see how far their splacked body parts fly.
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 02:16:23 pm »

If you drop a burning goblin, are the body parts on fire as they splatter away?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 02:24:32 pm »

I've begun drawing blueprints for the tower.  Namely using Minecraft.
Spoiler: Tower Maximus v1 (click to show/hide)
That's iron block tower and white wool target, the sheep down there was accidental but helps show scale.  That's 1 block per 1 tile in DF, rising 50 high and making a target pad 25 around.  The tower's top is 25 around, while the base is 13 around, and I attempted a gradual progression upwards, but I'm very likely to alter it because I want the tower to have a more fortified foundation.  Various buildings and viewing booths will be around the target, and the target will double as an arena for wild animals when integrated.

(If anyone can host a creative MC server and wants to hash out building ideas, PM me or something!)

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject: Tower Maximus (currently planning)
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 03:12:40 pm »

This looks pretty cool. I'd think it may be better to have a large ring suspended over the target, from which you can then suspend a walkway reaching to the center of the target for the perfect splatter pattern. But that's just me.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 05:20:56 pm »

I thought about the utility aspect, but I much like the tower thrust into the sky look more than the ring functionality.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 05:32:43 pm »

Perhaps a set of grate walkways, or a bridge, to lead to the center then?  The bridge has the bonus of being retractable.
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 05:35:23 pm »

This has the potential to be the essential dwarven form of art: Goblins, trolls, and other creatures with various-colored blood and gore provide good initial ink, while cave adapted military dwarves can paint targeted areas in lovely green.  Add in a little fire and magma for "living" art and you may create a dwarven masterpiece with the very surface of the world as your canvas!
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Pages: [1] 2 3