Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Megaproject: Tower Maximus (currently planning)  (Read 2928 times)

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject: Tower Maximus (currently planning)
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2011, 07:08:14 pm »

Gonna have to disagree there Mitchewawa, as the link in that topic is nonfunctional (Mediafire got rid of the program in question, it seems.) Here's another thread, though, that has both circle guide and the PerfectSphere program download I posted.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84195

this program is all sorts of witchcraft. how do you get it to work?  :-[
Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2011, 07:16:56 pm »

Download/instal.  Run.  Pick a sphere size, I used the specific X, Y, and Z commands.  Save it, then it makes an image where you saved it.  Open that image, and it's slice for slice details on how to build it.

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2011, 07:24:40 pm »

Download/instal.  Run.  Pick a sphere size, I used the specific X, Y, and Z commands.  Save it, then it makes an image where you saved it.  Open that image, and it's slice for slice details on how to build it.

i didnt realize i needed to run it in paint, my bad  :P appreciated  :D
Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.

Specter513

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2011, 07:37:24 pm »

So, is this going to be an execution tower, or rather, a gladiator ring?
Because I find the idea of Urist McLeonidas kicking goblins off a high tower just delightful.
Leprechauns actually. That "magically delicious taste" prefstring soon lead to their total extinction.
Congratulations, you killed the only things considered dominant and have heralded the end of civilization in your world as you know it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2011, 07:40:01 pm »

It will be both.  The original idea was a throwing tower, and to have a nice landing pad to measure and rate the blood splatter.  Then I realized I was going to have a perfectly good fenced in area, and decided that an arena wouldn't be bad either.  For that matter, it should have magma.  And then... well yeah, it's a megaproject, it grows.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2011, 09:11:10 pm »

While you're doing both, drop some prisoners in during a fight. They get another chance to survive if they land on something and manage to kill it.

Also, put hatches on the bottom of the arena that can be used to fill the place with highly pressurized amounts of either magma (to clean blood) or water (to create interesting combat conditions) at your whim.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2011, 09:16:46 pm »

The main spire will have great chances for pressurizing fluids, I'm just debating how I want the drainage to work, and how to cleans the field.

If supplied with theoretically infinite, pressurized magma and tasked to bathe and quickly dry an area, how would you?

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2011, 09:19:00 pm »

Build the entire arena out of porcelain grates instead of blocks?
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Specter513

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2011, 09:19:55 pm »

The main spire will have great chances for pressurizing fluids, I'm just debating how I want the drainage to work, and how to cleans the field.

If supplied with theoretically infinite, pressurized magma and tasked to bathe and quickly dry an area, how would you?
Perhaps pump up in center of tower, and have drains around the edges?
Leprechauns actually. That "magically delicious taste" prefstring soon lead to their total extinction.
Congratulations, you killed the only things considered dominant and have heralded the end of civilization in your world as you know it.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2011, 09:26:37 pm »

Large portions of the floor made of steel bars instead of porcelain blocks, leading down to the reservoir or run-off.

I now have the image of your arch pouring magma into the area like a great hellish teapot.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2011, 09:27:56 pm »

Can't do all grates. They'd collapse. You could do repeating patterns of this:

z0
Code: [Select]
###
#+#
###

z-1
BBB
BOB
BBB

(where + is the top of a pillar, # is a magma-safe grate, Bs are bridges and O is a pillar)

One level below the arena floor, a bunch of bridges seal the area under it (this might end up a little messy), so retracting them will make all but 11% (1 tile per 9) of the floor will potentially drain liquids above it. Theoretically this should empty in seconds... most conveniently back into the cistern. You'd have to have two ways the liquid could go, one way for magma and another for water:

###
M=___=W

(where #s are the drainage area, ___ is the cistern under them, and = is a floodgate-blocked set of tunnels to either the [M]agma or [W]ater reservoirs)

One issue is building destroyers knocking out some grates, but that's not too much a problem if you've got some masons ready to replace them. The BDs probably prioritize opponents over constructions, so that might cause them to ignore the grates completely in most combat scenarios.

I now have the image of your arch pouring magma into the area like a great hellish teapot.

EDIT: Yes! A gigantic teapot, where the spout is the tower. Pour magma/water upon the arena's denizens! The spout can have two tubes in it, one for magma and the other for water.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 09:31:39 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2011, 09:50:37 pm »

Current plan: have a safe stairway in the center of the spire to carry prisoners up and subsequently throw.  1/2 of the tower will house magma and related pumps, and the other half will house water and related pumps.  Some residual area will be used for prisoner housing, barracks, viewing booths, etc.  Large amounts of fluid logic and reservoirs should be housed underneath, positively massive pits of fluids and machinery under the bowels of the arena.

Then there's two options.  1: Porcelain bricks.  I've come across a large amount of kaolinite, so I'm making bulk bricks.  I think it's a nice idea, pristine white, smooth surface of death and the anvil upon which the creatures of the earth are stuck.  2: Pillars inside a pit, and then floor grates around the pillars, since a floor grate needs nearby support to function.  For these, likely steel  or bronze instead, or perhaps just floor bars using raw bars?

Porcelain floor: Easy to set up, allows traps to be placed along the surface and abuse water timers to trigger upright spikes.
Grates: A bit harder to set up, but not overly difficult, allows the theatrics of liquid abuse as it rises up out of the floor and then just as quickly drains back down, thus ensuring very quick cleaning of the arena and melting of all worthless junk.  Iron and steel items can be dropped via lever, causing the entire floor to vanish (marksdwarf shooting range, anyone?) and drop the goodies below.  Ideally, there would be a second layer of grates, allowing valuable goods to be salvaged even during a fight.  This means two layers of grates above a magma cistern, and on command the magma can be raised or lowered to either layer, or higher.

Important: Grates can be smashed by building destroyers, but they should be busy with the live targets anyways.  Grates also do not allow traps, though the pillar tiles can hold traps, decorative statues, or pillars.

I just talked myself into using grates, so I'll be sure and find a use for all the porcelain bricks somewhere.  No shortage of options in a construction this big!

NINJA: I think I'll add a third layer for hatches, allowing magma to be optionally drained VERY low, and water pushed up in its place, but there will be some cycle delay between swapping fluids, that'll be a bit of a bugger.  Both fluids will be designed to pour from the top, but the main bulk will be pressurized through the floor or the walls.  For a good "walls pouring magma" the under-level can be filled to 7/7 and the upper layer will simply wash over as if it were solid floor.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2011, 10:04:32 pm »

Dig out a massive pit around the tower and arena, with water-logic tubes extending to points along the cliffs. Somewhat like the bottom of the Citadel in HL2.

EDIT: In fact, make the pit go down into the first cavern layer at least. Beasts roaming the lower levels of your tower add menacing qualities.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 10:07:12 pm by DrKillPatient »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2011, 10:15:38 pm »

The underground will need a very "bowels of the machine" feeling, yes.  I may make it fun for adventurers...
Pages: 1 2 [3]