Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 36

Author Topic: Melissia's ventures into the greater world of Dwarf Fortress.  (Read 35767 times)

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
Re: Melissia's ventures into the greater world of Dwarf Fortress.
« Reply #195 on: September 24, 2011, 10:33:04 am »

Indeed.

She only used the wooden axe when her iron one got stuck in a wound ,but it's still a nice mental image.

*Chops into a goblin's gut*  Damnit, it's stuck-- wait I've got another one *crushes the goblin's shoulder (this happened numerous times in that fight) with a wooden axe*

You know what they say, there's no such thing as an over-tenderised goblin shoulder.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 24, 2011, 10:35:08 am »

Especially if you shatter the bone so many times the bone turns into powder.  Adds calcium to the diet!
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 24, 2011, 10:53:33 am »

... I just hit semi-molten rock but no magma.  Blargh!  I was hoping to get  to the to of a magma lake without having to go around.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 24, 2011, 11:19:25 am »

I just received enough immigrants to fill two full squads of light spearmen.

IE the cannon fodder squads.  I'll go make a large barracks with beds and an armory for them.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 24, 2011, 11:25:48 am »

Having fun with strange mood dwarves yet?   ;D
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 24, 2011, 11:39:53 am »

Two so far.  One produced a birch crossbow with silk spikes, another produced a lead mail shirt with an engraving of a bride of a night hag on it.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 24, 2011, 11:46:02 am »

If you're near the top of the SMR you're near the real FUN.  Just know that when you find the Candy (you'll know it when you see it) you should be careful or else you'll have real !!Fun!!.   Just be ready to seal off the mines at a moments notice.  Else it will go badly.

Also, dig a seperate shaft for your magma pumps (starting from the fortress) in case you do need to seal the mines off.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 24, 2011, 11:52:21 am »

I found candy, but it's literally inside the magma sea, surrounded both above and below by magma.  This may not be what you meant by me finding HFS, cause I won't be able to get THAT unless I almost completely drain the magma sea.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 24, 2011, 12:06:49 pm »

Can magma creatures (non-vermin ones I mean) travel through screw pumps?

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 24, 2011, 12:30:29 pm »

I found candy, but it's literally inside the magma sea, surrounded both above and below by magma.  This may not be what you meant by me finding HFS, cause I won't be able to get THAT unless I almost completely drain the magma sea.

You cannot drain the magma sea effectively because it refills.

That Candy vein should be more extensive, and should go up into the rocks above the magma.  Can you see all sides of it?  It will be at least connected to the semi molten rock below it.  Be very careful when you begin to mine it, and if you have seasonal or yearly auto saves enabled do it just after a save in case you need to save-scum (which involves killing the DF process and loading the auto save). If auto saves are not enabled, save before you do it.

Also, how big is your map?  If it's default size (4x4 embark tiles) you will usually have more than one, up to four being fairly common and rarely five or more.  My record in one 4x4 area is 8.

This is what I do to mine Candy:

When you send out a drift to mine it or locate it (a drift or level is a horizontal mine shaft that doesn't breach the surface, sorry :P) have a 1 or 2 z drop in the drift with a tightly closed hatch over the stairs, because building destroyers cannot destroy things above them.  Find the top of the vein and start there, and dig down.  One layer at a time.  Move the excavated ore to a stockpile high in your fortress before you begin the next layer.  If you are feeling bold, you may put a hatch separating each level from the level below.

Can magma creatures (non-vermin ones I mean) travel through screw pumps?

No, but they may be able to destroy them so use (magma safe!!!) fortifications.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 24, 2011, 12:56:40 pm »

Wait, how am I supposed to put fortifications on a magma pump stack?

I was just g onna use the basic 1x3 reservoir and build up (or down).

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 24, 2011, 01:19:15 pm »

Wait, how am I supposed to put fortifications on a magma pump stack?

I was just g onna use the basic 1x3 reservoir and build up (or down).

There's a couple of ways to make the magma pump shaft connection to the Magma Sea more secure:
1. A pump will work through a grate.  So the bottom-most pump (at least) can have a grate installed that is made of magma-proof material.

2. If you dig down beside the Magma Sea you can dig out a reservoir and then eventually do a channel to connect the reservoir to the Magma Sea.  Along the path to the reservoir you can install fortifications*, flood gates, etc. as you see fit to stop unwelcome visitors - or at least get appreciable notice that they are coming.

* - Creatures can swim/be pushed through fortifications if the fluid is high enough.  However, I think fortifications on both sides of a flood gate might prevent them from destroying it - and you can then close the flood gate when the pump stack is not in use.  There are also some more elaborate designs with little open "backflow" spots to detour intruders - though I've seen those with protecting water entrances, not magma, but presumably the same concept would apply.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 24, 2011, 01:22:45 pm »

Two so far.  One produced a birch crossbow with silk spikes, another produced a lead mail shirt with an engraving of a bride of a night hag on it.

Heh. My last two forts have had bowyer-created artifacts as their first mood items.  (A bow and a blowgun.)  I'm beginning to wonder if the mood distribution seems to favor them for some odd reason.

Wait until you get an armorer making single boots or gauntlets for you.   :P

My current fort's most interesting artifact is a yak bone statue of dwarves (founding the fortress!) made by a child.  Which includes an image of the militia commander embracing geese. Engravings and decorations are delightfully bizarre at times.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 24, 2011, 01:36:41 pm »

I still find it odd that they'd have an engraving of a lesbian monster on there, but whatever.

I'm gonna try the grate thing-- they shouldn't be able to destroy a floor grate from below, IIRC, but I may be wrong...

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 24, 2011, 01:54:06 pm »

Another elven caravan!

Let's see what kind of excess foodstuffs, gems, and crafts I can offload on them.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 36