Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 32

Author Topic: Ockham's Mafia - Day 3 [NEED REPLACEMENTS]  (Read 55081 times)

Xanatos Jr.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ockham's Mafia - Day 2
« Reply #195 on: October 16, 2011, 12:16:24 am »

How very passive of you, Xanatos[/color].

Or did you not know that passivity is a scumtell?
Yeah, flavor hunting isn't as efficient(or fun) as I thought it would be. Let's go for some vanilla scumhunting.

Oh my god, he is a scum, I never would have thought.

Xanatos
"My Little Space Marine"
Featuring a precocious chapter librarian, his pet servitor, and their wacky bunch of battle-brothers.  Watch as they learn the true meaning of undying devotion to the Emperor while creatively solving conflicts both in the ranks and on the battlefield.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 16, 2011, 12:23:00 am »

Dariush: Answer my questions.

Xanatos:So you think NUKE is suspicious. You gonna do anything about it?

Not as of yet.
...what.  Xanatos.  So, let me get this straight: you find NUKE suspicious, and you find Urist somewhat suspicious, but you're going to deal with it by not doing anything for now?  How do you plan on catching scum?

People seemed to think I was scum, and were planning to vote me. In an attempt to keep myself from being killed and a lynch being wasted, I used one of my two role powers to post that message.

You're probably a postman.  That doesn't make you a townie.

and everyone else seems to have a grudge against someone else.
I don't.  Pay more attention to the game.

PPE:

How very passive of you, Xanatos[/color].

Or did you not know that passivity is a scumtell?
Yeah, flavor hunting isn't as efficient(or fun) as I thought it would be. Let's go for some vanilla scumhunting.

Oh my god, he is a scum, I never would have thought.

Xanatos
...NO. NO. NO. NOT ACCEPTABLE.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 16, 2011, 12:25:03 am »

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS NOISE, POSTMAN?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 16, 2011, 12:36:45 am »

I'm wondering if both Emma and I should finish our claims.

We should definitely be careful; I said in Witches' Coven that spilling your role details in a game like this is pretty much a fullclaim.  Despite Max's objections, I wasn't JUST covering for my own weak role details back then (which I was), I was serious that it could be dangerous to town.  If Toaster had fullclaimed his role Day 1 to help us find the scum, he would have been killed right away as the Cop.  That would have hurt tremendously at LYLO when his thorough inspections unmasked Dariush, which led to correctly identifying Irony and Dariush as the 3rd party killers.

So, while I'm not opposed per se to sharing our roles, I do NOT think it is a decision we should take lightly, especially since we do not know what kind of scumteam we are facing, how many, or even what their powers are.  Once we spill our secrets, we cannot unsay them.

So, did it have to be a sign asking for clemency?  Or could it have been any message?

Any message.

So, why'd you pick this message?  "Don't tase me, bro!" seems oddly paranoid for a townie.

Native

No idea. Nothing in my flavor mentioned it. Did anybody else get mention of it in their night flavor?

Nope.

I can probably explain the lack of a NK. Chances are, I was targeted. I'm immune to NKs because of my guards. Also, some interesting flavor in my nighttime PM. Some of my guards were telling stories about how the Darkling used to hide around these parts but disappeared years ago. Apparently he hid a bunch of loot somewhere. I have no idea if this is in any way related to the game, but in a flavor-heavy game I feel that it's worth mentioning.

So, right now I'm voting you because you seemed a little too eager to explain-away the lack of a NK.  "Nobody pay any mind, probably came after me".

Assuming you're not lying, you seem to have some kind of passive ability preventing NKs from targeting you.  I find this a little suspicious, more for the flavor side than anything.  Sorry if I don't trust the guy who strolls into town with a legion of armed guards who claims he's here to help.

I'll clarify this is more a pressure vote at this point: I don't have any strong suspects, but I want to hear more from you most of all.

No reason it can't help; town won in Witches' Coven after vanilla scumhunting the first two days, then switching to flavor hunting in the final hours to seal the deal.  I'll start.

I'm just going to rub this in your collective faces, because I was right. We ended up lynching a townie and handing an easy win to the lyncher. Nice.

Just because the name of the game is 'ockham's mafia'(which isn't even spelled right) doesn't mean we should take Occam's Razor to heart.

Heed your own words: despite not apparently fulfilling his win condition, Zrk2 REALLY wanted to be lynched.  Why would a regular townie fakeclaim Jester?  Oh, I might have an explanation:

I'm curious about the title of this mafia.  Max's little quote suggest that, despite the reference to Occam's Razor, a simple and straightforward answer may be the completely wrong one here (since it wouldn't be any "fun").  I'm not sure if that means it definitely won't be the simplest answer, or if it will and he threw that out there to dick with us.

You're quick to smack town with the fact that you were right about lynching the claimed Jester, and yet aren't even bothering to ask why HE even thought he was a Jester?  The simple and straightforward answer seems to be that we handed an easy win to a lyncher, oh well.

What if it's more complex than that?  Why aren't you curious to figure out that little mystery, like what powers and abilities his role REALLY had, or why he was so eager to be lynched if he was town?
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 16, 2011, 12:47:39 am »

Xanatos

What is this shit?

Urist: Why pressure me if you're not going to ask me questions?

As for the amulet, we realized that Simple actually took it and used it to teleport out of here.

Of course I was eager to share it, why let everyone speculate when I have the most likely (not necessarily correct) answer? I would have mentioned it yesterday, but I felt that I would be a prime target for scum, so I let them waste a night instead. Though, looking back, I might have gotten scum to waste another night trying to kill me if I kept quiet.
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 16, 2011, 12:52:55 am »

Urist: Why pressure me if you're not going to ask me questions?

Sorry, it's late and I missed more than I thought in my reread.  I wanted to ask you why you were so quick to offer an explanation for the lack of a night kill.  I wanted to know if there was anything more you'd like to tell us about your guards and prescence here, since I found (flavor wise) the idea shady. 

I missed something else particularly noteworthy:

Xanatos

Unvote.  What the fuck are you doing?
On the Nature of Dwarves

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 16, 2011, 12:59:05 am »

Heed your own words: despite not apparently fulfilling his win condition, Zrk2 REALLY wanted to be lynched.  Why would a regular townie fakeclaim Jester?  Oh, I might have an explanation:

You're quick to smack town with the fact that you were right about lynching the claimed Jester, and yet aren't even bothering to ask why HE even thought he was a Jester?  The simple and straightforward answer seems to be that we handed an easy win to a lyncher, oh well.

What if it's more complex than that?  Why aren't you curious to figure out that little mystery, like what powers and abilities his role REALLY had, or why he was so eager to be lynched if he was town?
I know why he thought he was a jester. He said it himself.
Zrk2: I find it interesting that you claim to know your wincon.  I'm not really sure of mine, and quite a few players have commented on how their wincons aren't clear.  Is your wincon explicit, or are you guessing based on your flavour?

I "just want the pain to end." That's verbatim.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 16, 2011, 01:02:34 am »

We know one line from his flavor.

There's a lot of possible solutions to being in pain.  Again, I think assuming that the simple answer that "he just thought he was a jester, and was wrong" might not be the right answer here.  Even if he was wrong and honestly just screwed it up, that doesn't change the fact it apparently WASN'T his wincon...so what would have ended that pain (and therefore fulfilled his wincon)?

Of course, now I'm back on flavor hunting instead of vanilla hunting.  Hrm.
On the Nature of Dwarves

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 16, 2011, 01:08:02 am »

Sorry, it's late and I missed more than I thought in my reread.  I wanted to ask you why you were so quick to offer an explanation for the lack of a night kill.

Explained that in my last post.

I wanted to know if there was anything more you'd like to tell us about your guards and prescence here, since I found (flavor wise) the idea shady. 

Nothing I can think of, I've told you just about everything. I've been tracking this death singer across the country for quite some time, tracked him to here, then basically quarantined the village, intending to either end the hunt or die trying in the village.
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 16, 2011, 01:18:18 am »

There's a lot of possible solutions to being in pain.  Again, I think assuming that the simple answer that "he just thought he was a jester, and was wrong" might not be the right answer here.  Even if he was wrong and honestly just screwed it up, that doesn't change the fact it apparently WASN'T his wincon...so what would have ended that pain (and therefore fulfilled his wincon)?

Of course, now I'm back on flavor hunting instead of vanilla hunting.  Hrm.
...Why are you asking me this? I'm not Zrk2. I don't have his role PM. Hell, he isn't even mentioned in mine. All this question can lead to is useless conjecture about what exactly the contents of his role PM were. It seems like a pointless question, Arathos. So, why did you ask it? Because it seems to me like you were trying to distract me. And I don't like that.
My Sig

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 16, 2011, 01:21:52 am »

You sound worried, Orangebottle.

If you have trouble with this line of questioning, why didn't you bring it up at first?  Why are you writing so choppily, and how are you missing the fact that Arathos is asking you about your strange degree of certainty?

Besides, what are you being distracted from, exactly?  Thumb-twiddling?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 16, 2011, 02:02:09 am »

You sound worried, Orangebottle.
Hint: I'm not.

If you have trouble with this line of questioning, why didn't you bring it up at first?  Why are you writing so choppily, and how are you missing the fact that Arathos is asking you about your strange degree of certainty?
I never doubted that he was asking me about my certainty. My point with that post was to inform him that asking me about things I can't possibly know are pointless. My writing could be attributed to the fact that it's 11:54 PM right now.
Besides, what are you being distracted from, exactly?  Thumb-twiddling?
Right now I'm wondering why the hell Xanatos would ever vote himself ever. I'm also about to ask some more questions.

Xanatos:Let's be honest. Are you the real jester here?
Arathos: There's a problem with your post that I missed in my response.
This line of questioning, actually, this post in particular feels very scummy. Rolefishing's the reason. It looks and smells like rolefishing, so it must be thus. That's the only reason you'd ask me something neither a vanilla townie nor a scum would know. You're trying to find a cop. Let me be the first to tell you that you're definitely looking in the wrong place.

Either that, or you're trying to use sarcasm over the internet and it's not going over very well.
My Sig

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 16, 2011, 02:20:38 am »

Why would neither vanilla townie nor scum know anything of it?

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 16, 2011, 02:36:10 am »

Why would neither vanilla townie nor scum know anything of it?
...Are you kidding me? Let me spell it out for you, if you're serious:

There are only three people who could possibly know what fills his wincon. The mod, a flavor or non-flavor role cop, and Zrk2 himself.
Vector:Why are you needlessly harassing me?
My Sig

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 16, 2011, 02:51:43 am »

So, you're saying that your flavor information told you nothing at all about anyone else?

Funny, that.

If you think my questioning is "needless harassment," it's clear that I need to question you more, because all you're doing is throwing up empty defenses.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 32