Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Magic the Gathering: So how about that M13?  (Read 7569 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Magic the Gathering: Dark Ascension is here!
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2012, 02:47:57 pm »

Is it okay to talk about Duels of the PLaneswalkers here?  I downloaded the demo to see if I wanted to get the full game.  So far it's not looking very good.

I don't think the game is shuffling my decks well enough.  In the six or seven games I've played against Koth (All of which I've lost, obviously), I have seen the same three or four creature cards.  Glory Seeker, Kor Duelist, Kor Hookmaster (rarely), and Kor Outfitter.  That's it.  I have never seen either of my Serra Angels, Captain of the Watch, or anything.  The Green Deck is just as bad.  I was actually surprised when I checked the deck manager and saw that 70% of the cards in my deck were spells, I was expecting it to be like 60% land.

Koth, of course, never has this problem.  His spikeshot douchebag is up on the first turn every game, and I've only seen one match that didn't involve dat fukken landslide elemental.
Shoes...

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2012, 04:03:11 pm »

Is Tactics worth checking out?  It's f2p on Steam, but I don't wanna bother if it's the pay2win kind of game.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2012, 05:15:37 pm »

Is it okay to talk about Duels of the PLaneswalkers here?  I downloaded the demo to see if I wanted to get the full game.  So far it's not looking very good.

I don't think the game is shuffling my decks well enough.  In the six or seven games I've played against Koth (All of which I've lost, obviously), I have seen the same three or four creature cards.  Glory Seeker, Kor Duelist, Kor Hookmaster (rarely), and Kor Outfitter.  That's it.  I have never seen either of my Serra Angels, Captain of the Watch, or anything.  The Green Deck is just as bad.  I was actually surprised when I checked the deck manager and saw that 70% of the cards in my deck were spells, I was expecting it to be like 60% land.

Koth, of course, never has this problem.  His spikeshot douchebag is up on the first turn every game, and I've only seen one match that didn't involve dat fukken landslide elemental.

DotP is plenty good in this topic.

Koth is a mixed bag. His AI is much much MUCH too hard to justify him being the first guy in the game. Plus, make sure you aren't playing on the hardest difficulty by mistake, since it's been pretty much confirmed that the AI cheats and stacks the deck in it's favor on the Planeswalker difficulty.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2012, 05:23:44 pm »

So how does deck customization, extra decks, and such work?  There are like 400 different purchase options and like 50 different decks so I have no idea what I'm getting if I just buy the regular 10 dollar DotP 2012 game. 
Shoes...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2012, 05:45:12 pm »

So how does deck customization, extra decks, and such work?  There are like 400 different purchase options and like 50 different decks so I have no idea what I'm getting if I just buy the regular 10 dollar DotP 2012 game. 

Technically, you can play the game by just buying the bare, raw version.

Then there's the expansion, which gives you three more decks and an additional additional Archenemy mode. Then there's the two deck packs, which give you 2 more decks each. That's pretty much everything the game has to offer, and it's pretty fun, I think, especially if you have some friends to play archenemy with. You can also just play random matches with other people online, and they won't cheat like Koth.

Everything else is literally just 'unlock all cards for a certain deck' or 'turn all cards of a certain deck into shiny foil version if you think you have too much money'.

You can unlock all cards just through hard work, but the foils you need to buy if you're into having everything in your hand glimmer and gleam at you nonstop.

Deck customization is very easy. You unlock cards as you win matches, any matches, and they're added to the pool of cards you can use. You may take out or leave in any cards you feel like from the customization menu, but you can't control land ratio which is a pain.

Also, you unlock more decks from playing the campaign, or just straight up buying the deck packs they're unlocked automatically.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2012, 05:52:37 pm »

So all the decks listed as DLC can be obtained by playing the game normally?
Shoes...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2012, 05:54:17 pm »

So all the decks listed as DLC can be obtained by playing the game normally?

DLC decks do need to be downloaded, it's the unlockable cards in the decks that can be obtained from playing the game normally.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Magic the Gathering: Waiting for Innistrad
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2012, 07:57:47 pm »

I am double posting because, god damnit, I have something awesome to tell you guys.

I was just given a sealed, mint condition, never removed from box, 9th edition starter set. That's 2 intro decks, a booster pack and a foil Serra Angel in it's own wrapper. All sealed and mint. Needless to say, I opened it up and I am highly pleased by the new, very nostalgic additions to my collection.

You guys jelly? :P
I had a 2nd or 3rd edition white-border Serra Angel back when I played; I think I sold it in around 1997 or 1998. I remember dual lands being a big deal at the time.

I'm somewhat disturbed to realized that I was playing that game back in 1995 (and am not really sad that I only played it for about 2 years).
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2012, 08:37:15 pm »

So... apparently card prices are inflating again, because the JTMS price is spreading to other cards. I mean, jeez, all the Scars duals have doubled in price since the last time I played (M12). This is probably going to keep me out of magic.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2012, 10:41:47 am »

So... apparently card prices are inflating again, because the JTMS price is spreading to other cards. I mean, jeez, all the Scars duals have doubled in price since the last time I played (M12). This is probably going to keep me out of magic.
Prices tend to go up when they go out of print. They'll go down again when they're out of standard. It's just the way it goes.

Besides that, only the UW and UB lands are all that expensive. Just remember, Red Deck Wins is still as viable as ever :P

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2012, 09:23:29 am »

So I got Duels of the Planeswalkers, it was only ten bucks and MTG is pretty fun.

Damn.  I'm noticing a bit of power creep.  I haven't played since like, 7th and 8th edition.
Shoes...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2012, 09:55:28 am »

If it's the steam version, feel free to throw a challenge at me any time.

Steam name = JoshuaFH

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2012, 10:16:58 am »

... wtf is a plainswalker? *scratches head*
*Runs back to 1995*
I suppose i've saved some money by not really collecting past ice age, but it's really just been from lack of people to play with, not counting various online playing programs i've tried out.
But to be honest i kinda like the theme of this set, it looks like it might get kinda brutal.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2012, 10:22:35 am »

Is Tactics worth checking out?  It's f2p on Steam, but I don't wanna bother if it's the pay2win kind of game.
I played through the free campaign and it's actually pretty fun, but after that everything else is pay to play or basic you vs some other player. I'm not sure if you get rewards for beating other players, though. I DO know that they have a lot of issues with people not getting what they buy in the store and, while they refund everything no problem if you send a ticket, it's a serious pain. After I bought the second campaign chapter with the free tokens they give you (but didn't get it...) I decided the game wasn't for me.

Duel of the Planeswalkers, however, is very fun. I got the core game and the expansion (the overlord mode or whatever it's called is just plain fun) and I'm seriously debating some of the deck pack DLCs but I don't really play it much right now.

Also, MarcAFK, the players are planeswalkers. As far as I know it's always been that way if you read the little manual that came with prebuilt decks you could buy. They've added to the lore since the books started coming out (and they're pretty neat at times), but it's mostly just so there's a reason for the themes of each set.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2012, 10:34:06 am »

I mean the plainswalker cards, i've seen them before but can't recall what they actually do :/
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6