Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Magic the Gathering: So how about that M13?  (Read 7564 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magic the Gathering: Waiting for Innistrad
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2011, 08:08:15 am »

Hmmm I wonder what other kinds of decks I can make with these.

I could, I guess, update my red deck to include some of these new werewolf cards. The issue is that the vast majority of the games I play are 4-player free for alls.

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2011, 04:25:45 pm »

I LOVE MtG but I haven't been able to get back into it. I am overwhelmed mostly because I stopped playing around the time Ice Age came out and it seems like a whole different game now. I wish there was a place you could play old school decks only..

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2011, 04:27:17 pm »

I LOVE MtG but I haven't been able to get back into it. I am overwhelmed mostly because I stopped playing around the time Ice Age came out and it seems like a whole different game now. I wish there was a place you could play old school decks only..

The problem is that there is such a HUGE difference between an optimised and unoptimised old deck.

When you get into the optimised old decks they are drastically unfun.

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2011, 04:30:56 pm »

Yeah, that's what I've noticed is that the new decks are TOO streamlined and gimmicky for my tastes, like the game has been watered down or something.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2011, 11:05:20 am »

Boop.
Cockatrice is a free online service for building/playing decks.
It's quite awesome, though the interface can be a little unwieldy, especially if you start getting obnoxious plays like my mana ramp...
It's just as honor-system-based as the actual game, but I haven't seen anybody cheat yet.
No official support for EDH, but it can be played simply enough.

Did I mention it has the Innistrad block ready already?
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2011, 11:06:55 am »

Yeah, that's what I've noticed is that the new decks are TOO streamlined and gimmicky for my tastes, like the game has been watered down or something.

I think it was because the streamlines where they basically make your deck for you... actually proved to be popular.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2011, 11:30:15 am »

Just been to a prerelease near me, it was rather awesome. Had to leave early, but won 3 games out of 6. Unruly Mob plus Howlpack Alpha is godly. Spawn wolves everywhere, block with them or attack recklessly and buff the shit out of Unruly Mob, give it Cobbled Wings and Butcher's Cleaver and you win.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2011, 05:21:15 pm »

I am double posting because, god damnit, I have something awesome to tell you guys.

I was just given a sealed, mint condition, never removed from box, 9th edition starter set. That's 2 intro decks, a booster pack and a foil Serra Angel in it's own wrapper. All sealed and mint. Needless to say, I opened it up and I am highly pleased by the new, very nostalgic additions to my collection.

You guys jelly? :P
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2011, 05:26:40 pm »

Once, when I was crazy enough to value the cards not only for gameplay but also their $ values, I might have been.

Now I just say grats! :P Tempted to go buy a digital version of Magic now. Unless I'm playing Magic in some relaxed group setting, I don't really enjoy it anymore. The whole deck strategy thing kind of kills the fun for me. Good decks > Flavorful decks.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2011, 05:30:47 pm »

Once, when I was crazy enough to value the cards not only for gameplay but also their $ values, I might have been.

Now I just say grats! :P Tempted to go buy a digital version of Magic now. Unless I'm playing Magic in some relaxed group setting, I don't really enjoy it anymore. The whole deck strategy thing kind of kills the fun for me. Good decks > Flavorful decks.

I pretty much only ever play super-casual with friends, only played competitively once at the Innistrad pre-release (which I did admirably at for my first tournament - 3 wins 3 losses!) so I tend to dick about with my decks. I either give them themes (I have one deck called Guardians of Nature - green/white, all animals, no humans or paranormal stuff at all. It does... average :P) or go for full overtroll (Unruly Mob + Angelic Overseer + any card that spawns tokens every turn ftw). :P

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2011, 05:39:23 pm »

My friends and I play Super Magic. Which requires people to hold cards communally instead of owning decks. The kind of game only people that don't really care about Magic anymore can play.

Anyways, two stacks, land and not-land. Everyone draws some starting land and some starting not-land. Then (haven't played in a while) I think you mix the two decks and everyone draws communally from the stack. Or maybe the deck stay separate and you get to choose which deck you draw from each turn (or how many cards you draw from each deck if you draw multiples.)

It results in really random and unpredictable games. None of this "I have stacked my deck with pumpable instants and free mana. That's my theme." You make due with what you get, and the strengths of lower end cards really show when they're not instantly trumped by a deck with pre-planned awesome on every draw.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2011, 05:42:11 pm »

Am I the only one that doesn't like the tribal mechanics for the reason I mentioned earlier?
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magic the Gathering: Dark Ascension is here!
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2012, 09:05:31 pm »

I thought I'd bump this thread of mine to celebrate the release of Dark Ascension, the second set of Innistrad.

It's been out for awhile now, but it'll be hitting MTG:O on the 20th.

The third set to be released, months from now on May 4th, will be Avacyn Restored. Who's Avacyn? Apparently a homunculus angel made by Sorin to stop the vampires (even though he's a vampire himself) and werewolves and geists from overrunning all humans and preserving the peace and order of things while he himself is gallivanting around the planes doing whatever he wants. Though alot of players don't care about the story. :P

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2012, 12:04:59 am »

No one is half as interested as me, as it would seem, but just take a look at this official human token:

I wonder if they really had a dude pose for that, cause that's awesome.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2012, 12:08:39 am »

Planechase 2012 is coming in the "Summer of Multiplayer" as well.
New content for my favorite format!  Huzzah!

(Side-note: I play over Cockatrice, the free online Magic:TG emulator, not MTG:O -- buying the physical cards is one thing, but buying virtual cards?  why would you ever...?)
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6